Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which EPs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Which EPs? Reply with quote

Is there a way to discover which EPs an object will work with?

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Poetica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sim Categorizer will usually tell you. That's usually what I go off of, but it's not always the most reliable.

Though it is still good to include, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. The game is so old that most people have been able to buy a cheap copy of the Complete Collection by now, so almost everyone I would think has all of the EPs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my reasoning was that it might be something that caused crashing - as in, a modded item for Deluxe might crash MM.

I don't have the Complete Collection, in fact, am using some of the very old original disks! And I do have some rather old hacked files.

I'll have a look at the Categorizer. Thank you!

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bogies

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much help this is, but I have the complete collection and the deluxe files do not work on a Mac. If I put a file in that was cloned from something from the deluxe ep it generally crashes my game. sad
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... If you have MM and object *shouldn't* crash a game if it was designed with an older EP you don't have. It should quietly remove itself. Deluxe didn't introduce any actual new code functions.
Sita

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll explain:
I have all the EPs but get occasional crashes, which apparently are object related - I did wonder if it was because of using objects that were coded for base game\earler EPs. There doesn't seem to be a way of checking in Sims 1 whether an object is up-to-date for the new EP as there is in Sims 2 and 3.
The assumption is that the whole thing works as is - even though it was constantly patched with each EP?

Poetica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a corrupt object. The best way to avoid that is to make sure you make all of the files in your Downloads folder read only. It will also help your game load faster. Of course, sometimes new objects can be corrupt and you don't know until you try to use them.

It could also be object limit related. Though Maxis said it was no longer an issue with later EPs, they lied. It is and I live my Sims life trying to stay below it. *lol*

Oddly, the limit seems different for everyone. Even my newer computer (which is, of course, better than my old one) has a lower limit than my old one did for whatever reason. I've also noticed that the type of objects you have matters. So, a bed counts as "more" than a 1-tile rug. (The limit may in fact be related to object IDs and not files.)

For me, object limit issues sometimes come up when I first start the game or try to get into a lot, but most often it only crashes when I go to build stuff or something like that. To see if it's just a limit issue I remove a folder that contains a bunch of stuff (none of it new, so I know none of those objects are an issue) and then start my game again. If it's okay, then I know I need to pout and purge some stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do you know if it's an object-limit crash or a simple corrupt object crash? or an object ID crash?

bogies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do an ID conflict test whenever I put new files into my game. It saves time and a lot of trouble.

As to over limit, it never crashed me but I got some weird effects - all my fireplaces turned into flowers! laugh
Poetica

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of variety in people's experience. For me, corrupt objects usually only crash the game when I try to place them in the game. But object limit will crash the game even without me doing anything. If it's really bad, the crash will happen as soon as it loads the neighborhood screen. If it's not as bad, it'll happen when I try to view a catalog, especially in build stuff for some reason.

Like I said, I test the limit by temporarily removing a sizable folder which hasn't had anything new added in a while. (Say, Simzalabim, Wood for Sims, or SimFreaks perhaps.) That way I know those objects are fine because they've always worked before (and I keep everything in the Downloads folder read only so it won't be corrupted by the game itself.) so if the game doesn't crash when I reload it it's an object limit issue and I just need to put back the removed folder and find enough files to remove permanently until the game stops crashing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for the clarification.

bogies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time my game crashes on loading is if I put in a new file that's corrupted.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sita wrote:

The assumption is that the whole thing works as is - even though it was constantly patched with each EP?

This is not an issue in sims 1 at all and not as much an issue in 2 as in 3.

In sims 1 objects which are not updated for newer expansions simply won't know about new features. They should not cause crashes. Some exceptions may apply to objects which were not well-coded in the first place, but that is not an EP issue as much as a few specific objects.

(There is one exception: A pre-HD object being used on a community lot taking for granted it will be on a home lot-- Maxis chose not to update globals and some don't correctly handle non-residential lots

Bogies and Poetica are probably right on the money.

The sims 2 method for finding corrupt objects works for sims 1...
1. Split your downloads folder (roughly) in half. If you still have the issue, you know it's in that half. If the issue goes away you know it's in the other half.

2. Make sure the "bad" half is in the game and keep cutting the downloads folder in half and repeating until you have only a few files left which can be tested one-by-one.

3. If at any point you find neither half has the issue then there is likely a conflict between something in the first and second half.

Aside: In sims 2 the same thing should happen as 1 (at least post-uni) but it is more likely to lead to undesirable behavior though it should not crash unless an object creator did something stupid (And in the early days sometimes they did...). For Sims 3 many mods require core mods which will cause severe issues if not made for the correct patch version of the game and it is more of a concern, but sims 3 mods are really a whole different ball of wax.

Sita

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: