Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sims 1 in 3D
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
André

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Sims 1 in 3D Reply with quote

Have you seen this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5D7GPQDDUI

It looks really cool!
I still do not know exactly what it is, but I know it has something to do with the new Sims Online, developed by the players.
I read something that it is still not possible to have personalized content, I do not know for sure.
If anyone knows more details please tell us.
LadyArtiste

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Sims 3-D Reply with quote

Andre, have you seen this yet? https://github.com/riperiperi/FreeSO
André

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already played Sims Online last year, but not in 3D.
LadyArtiste

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, however the video shown on this site goes into some detail about the current 3-D aspects...
francot514

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hate this 3d changes, but i do like the intention of update game and allow that.

PD .New Year
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This blog is probably where people want to read up on it (rather than github, though github does have outstanding info)

http://freeso.org/

FreeSO is the The Sims Online version and is in open beta meaning everyone is welcome to come and participate and play and test. Some things are not working yet, some things work are going to be changed and improved upon. At the end of beta testing the city will be wiped and we'll all start over. there is a LOT more to do so this is not happening any time soon. But t will be happening.

SimiTone is the TS1 version of FreeSO. It is your The Sims Complete Collection, but viewed and played THROUGH the freeso game engine so you get all of the benefits of that. Simitone is still be worked on and is not ready for play as FreeSO is. Some people have trouble getting it to work. The UI in SimiTone is completely different than the TS1 UI. It was originally being developed as a way to play your Sims game on mobile devices and the UI was designed for that. EA wasn't comfortable with The Sims being taken out of the computer, though, so they said no to mobile. Rhys has no plans to go through and change the UI back to the old The Sims graphics.

Both of these require you already have real The Sims files installed. So if you don't own The Sims Complete Collection, you can't use SimiTone.
If you cannot download that TSO file from EA's site and install it, then you cannot play FreeSO.

Quote:
I read something that it is still not possible to have personalized content, I do not know for sure.

I am not sure if SimiTone loads Custom Content up yet but if not, it will.

What you may be thinking of is my comment at Terra Luna that a lot of the current Custom Content would be pretty useless in 3D mode. This is because so many people didn't make proper Z buffers and the 3D mode uses the Z's to create the models.

But Rhys knew that would be the case. Even stuff with good Z's can look pretty awful when the game generates the models, in fact. So he built in a system that allows the 3D artist to import a real model into the game. The game will use that perfect one instead of a smooshy looking generated one (or a really deformed nonsense-y one from one of those fake Zs)

The Parsimonious objects I have in my FreeSO lot look pretty good for generated meshes, by the way. Kate nailed the Z buffers. So there's one source of Custom Content that you could use in SimiTone. But people who provide the meshes for new custom content will always have prettier stuff.
And better models. The auto-generated ones are always much higher poly than they need to be.

André

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimiTone still having bugs or working well? It's not necessary to be just for TSO, is not it?
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried SimiTone at all so I'venot been keeping up with the development. It is definitely still being worked on quite a bit.

You do, I think, need to have FreeSO installed (and perhaps TSO as welll?) in order to use SimiTone but you don't have to actually play them.

There was a new FreeSO patch today tat introduces a lot of stuff and some of it needs to be fixed up so I'd wait a day or two before grabbing it.

This patch introduced (among other things) Directional Lighting which is OMIGOSH beautiful. It has the most impact in 3D mode, but even in 2D mode it effects anything that is a 3D model...like your sim! pretty!

This, by the way, is how stuff looks in 3D mode when it is made FOR FreeSO (instead of FreeSO generating a model based on the 2D sprites.

(The canning station in the background, however, is one that is automatically generated. Some kind soul needs to re-mesh that blobby sucker LOL)

purplewowies

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-mesh it?! Don't you know the best canning stations are very blobby? It gets the best canning results!

laugh
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I'll pass that on - they will like it. The group re-meshing things (a community effort but a couple of discord servers and forums were set up for the effort) discussed the canning station yesterday and the conversation basically went:

"Sooo ... who's gonna do that one?"
"No."

laugh

Regarding custom content ("CC") and whether it works in SimiTone, the developer just responded to a similar concern at the FreeSO forum with
Quote:
It's very likely that CC will crash the game, I haven't had the chance to test much. The situation will likely become better as the game improves.

http://forum.freeso.org/threads/does-simitone-work-with-hacks-and-custom-content-installed-in-the-original-version.6205/#post-30565

purplewowies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
if you don't own The Sims Complete Collection, you can't use SimiTone.

Is there a technical difference between Complete Collection and all the expansions together? I want to try this... but I don't know if my game "works". jfade's psycho
Andrasta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible! surrender

Will hopefully be a solution when sims 1 will not run any longer on any PC wink

Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I'm not sure, purplewowies. All of the files that I am familiar with (objects and globals) are the same (bearing in mind that Complete collection DOES include the Deluxe objects). It is certainly possible that they added a specific flag to complete collection that changes things but since they knew this was going to be the last one, I don't see why thy would have bothered, honestly.
(Final answer still being "I don't know")

purplewowies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, well in that case, my installation is functionally identical to Complete Collection, at least, since I started with a Deluxe base. huh

Maybe I'll test it out when I get the time and report back on whether or not it works.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Below, CC means Complete Collection not Custom Content.

Complete Collection is maybe a little different.

Complete Collection (CC) reads as base game + all expansions + deluxe. I am not sure if the game will read DL + All additional expansion the same way, though I suspect it does. As far as I can tell the game code has two methods for checking what's installed.

A method using flags to check if an individual expansion is installed and a method that checks version number (which through creative use of binary returns a different value for each pack combination, with deluxe as it's own pack). There is no way for an object to see a user has CC and not everything separately.

However CC has some quirks that don't appear if you install all the expansions separately. For instance, some CC users can not use the MM enchant spell on the scarecrow from UL -- but if you install UL then MM it is available. I don't yet know what causes this but I suspect it has to do with how things packed in SharedObjects are handled.

Aside from that the only difference I know of is that the splash screen on load is different.

Back to SemiTone it is possible that some minor differences could cause issues if it really really expects the CC configuration but if the implementation of the game engine is robust enough it should handle it with aplomb. I can't imagine that you would have any specific issues, but it would be interesting if you did! biggrin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: