Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Sims Creator to make skins - new textures & meshes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruthml

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Using Sims Creator to make skins - new textures & meshes Reply with quote

I was unaware of this program, but Madoria gave this explanation in the Intro section, so I thought it would belong here:

Quote:
Creator came with Deluxe and Double Deluxe and is an program where you can get in an choose a look - pants or skirt and then undress that Sim a,
then with clicking on the garments ( differrent pants , skirts , tops , shoes , etc) create a whole new look SKIN. Some garments allow you to change the texture / colour also. One can add a logo.

Then when one is done - one goes and save the body - SKIN and it will be saved into the games Skinsfolder.

Creator program LOADS those meshes & bmps that are in your game , in
the skins folder and the far files ( Maxis own skins) so the correct mesh will be there.

Next time you load our game you can use a sim in that skintone and size to look at your new Skin.

Tigertye has developed a way to add new meshes and textures to Creator. Her downloads can be found here, along with a guide on how to do it yourself. http://www.oddworldz.com/tigertye/extras.htm
Madoria

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an better understanding on how skins bmps and meshes work toghether
by using the Paint tool in Creator...
one can paint in 3D , and even if it is an limited program it is a starting point.

I also have some Garments and some textures for Creator:
http://bases.madoria.com

I also try ideas out and then I work further with PSP7 with the skins bmps I make.

This is only for making the bmps , not a mesh program.

But if you are new to skinning it can be helpful.

Susanne
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any skinning I've done has been with this program simply because it's user friendly if you've never done it before. I think it's a boon for newbies (like I am to this field).
sine_sim_fan

Location: Texas, dealing with my dad's estate and getting into ALL the permutations of The Sims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because of the limited amount of features The Sims Creator can be time consuming to work with. If you take the time to use it, the results can be hard to distinguish from pay program garments :) case in point: that Salvatore mesh I made a garment for. one of my tips is to put your nude bases in. 256 x 256 is the right size to keep them from repeating when you paint. I also tend to use .jpg images and put them in the Texture folder directly; skipping the utility entirely. jpg files tend to save on space without sacrificing on the color quality, which to me is important.

I hope these tips help those of you interested in using Sims Creator for your own skins. I know they've helped me.

JustDenise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Sims Creator, you generally have to do a lot of experimenting with the textures to get them to display properly. I fall in love with a pattern only to have it look just terrible in Creator. For me, this is the main limitation of the program.

What I do is to first open the textures and patterns I want to use in my graphics program-in my case, the ancient but dependable MGI Photosuite2. I automatically deepen the color saturation, as Creator has a tendency to wash out the colors. Creator wants you to use size 32X32 .jpgs, but I use anything up to 50X50 depending on the pattern, with no problems. Then I insert it into Creator and see how it looks.

The only way to know if a pattern will work in the program is to chuck it in there and see how it looks. Sometimes a fussy pattern will surprise you and look really good, but as a rule it's best to keep it simple, always remembering that in game the skin is going to be rather small and might not display a fussy pattern correctly anyway.

Before inserting a pattern, I blow it up in Photosuite and clean it up a little, straightening lines and motifs. Sometimes I play around a little and come up with a pattern on my own. This is what I did with the Mod dresses I recently did over at TSR. I actually did these textures very easily in the Creator program itself, using the "Paint" feature. It was a bit time consuming, but I think the results were worth it. If you try something in the program and it ends up looking just awful, nobody will know but you, so do a lot of experimenting.

Denise

ModCocktail2.jpg
 Description:
A skin with a paint program-made texture.
 Filesize:  31.96 KB
 Viewed:  9541 Time(s)

ModCocktail2.jpg

"If you canna see the bright side, polish the dull side."
~The Old Men of Freya Crags
JustDenise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of something else. Another thing you can do with Creator is to find some clothing accessories like bows, belt buckles, pockets etc., and use your graphics program to crop or cut out the article and then paste it onto a plain white or black background. Then you can use a free program like Irfanview to save the image as a transparent .png object. These can then be inserted into Creator's "Logos" section and placed on an outfit.

You can also search the web for .png format icons and use them (making sure the creator of the icons is okay with it. Nobody has refused me yet). I've gotten some lovely flowers and plain 3D buttons that really *do* make nice buttons when shrunk.

Some PSP tubes also can be made to work, but not all. Irfanview can resave these as PNGs or TGA files, both allowed by Creator.

Creator comes with some *really* ugly logos.

Denise

Sistergirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easy to add new meshes and textures to Sim Creator without anything special. However, I agree with the other post about the limitations. I still rather skin the regular way, adding textures and tones manually. I have more flexibility.
cybele

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Creator tool a huge disappointment, but with meshes that wrap strangely, it can be helpful for drawing position points which you can then use as references when painting the skins in another program.
JustDenise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybele wrote:
I found the Creator tool a huge disappointment, but with meshes that wrap strangely, it can be helpful for drawing position points which you can then use as references when painting the skins in another program.

I think anyone who's looking for the program to be just as good as Photoshop or another professional tool is bound to be disappointed. Sims Creator was designed for the casual user really, somebody who plays the game and thinks it'll be cool to make a skin for it.

I've found it to be a great tool for making skins, myself, mainly because I've done so much fiddling with it to get it to do what I want. I'm very comfortable working with it for creating skins, as opposed to my graphics program, just because I prefer the whole "dress up a doll" aspect of it. I find it easier-but of course, maybe this is because I didn't start out creating skins like most do, in Photoshop.

Denise

annettebrks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I think that's the key, Denise. If someone tries Creator who hasn't used other programs before, it's a very nifty thing! But if someone's coming from the other direction, having used something like the big name graphics programs, it'll seem awfully limited in comparison.
Alexa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Using Sims Creator to make skins - new textures & me Reply with quote

ruthml wrote:
Tigertye has developed a way to add new meshes and textures to Creator. Her downloads can be found here, along with a guide on how to do it yourself. http://www.oddworldz.com/tigertye/extras.htm

This is actually what I have been looking for, a way to add other meshes.
The site is now gone, could someone please explain me or point me to another tutorial? smile
Madoria

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is called Garments and you can find those I made
on my Yahoo group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/madoria3/
Garments are pieces of clothing that can be changed in colour / texture.

Sims Creator Does load the meshes that you have in the Sims games Gamedata / Skins folder.
However- beeing a Maxis program - it does not recognice any meshes that has letters in the number instead of number.
So for example - all Jerome's meshes with j in will not load in creator . Also other problems with the cmx/ skin can cuase it not to load in Creator.

If you want to speed up Creators load time - don't put too much in the games Gamedata /Skins folder !

Here is also another Yg with Garments

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SimsCreatorResource/

Put garments files in
Sims Creator/ SimsResoruce/ Garments.

A Garment usually are several files so please include those all otherwise the garment will not work!!!!

Susanne

Alexa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Madoria.
Actually I did find your garments and the ones from the other Yahoo group while I was browsing the forum, I am already using them and love them <3
I really meant the meshes. I guess you gave me the reason to why the others won't show though, because of their names.

So if I temporarily rename a mesh I would be able to use it? I will have to go test this~

Edit:
So I realized some clothes I couldn't see because they were buyable. So I tried to change a lingerie from it's L401 to B401, it now appears but even though I added the mesh and made the changes on the .cmx file, it's using the Maxis mesh which is for a short dress.
So renaming it won't work, most of the time, unless I find a mesh not used by the game?
Madoria

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you must rename the mesh to a number that isn't used by the game or in your downloads folder.

Info
the basegames Meshes is in the Gamedata/ Animations / animations.far file
the Base games Textures is in the Gamedata / Textures/ Texture.far file

There is also meshes and textures in some Expansionpack far files.
The B401 is from Hotdate and inside the Expansionpack3.far

Alexa- do you use the SkinDoctor Program?
It is a great program to use to see exactly what skins and meshes you have in your game and in which folder / far file.

http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims/the-sims-1/the-sims-programs/programs-the-sims-skinningcharacter-editors/
You can search for example all buyables or all female meshes/ skins.

Let me see L401 ...hm... I think B300 is a mesh that is very similar to L401. So you can use the B300 in SimCreator and then rename the bmps you are making to L401.

Have a look at other Skin sites and see waht meshes they have used .

http://www.aroundthesims.com/skins/woman/index.html
http://sites.google.com/site/chocotoujours/

http://www.archichiari.com/

Jackie of Jack WolfSim made them mesh project
and it is now at Magnolia Sims
http://www.thaliatook.com/MS/jws/jws.html
Here you can look at the mesh look included in each expack and the base game.

Alexa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I used to have SkinDoctor. I kept a lot of programs in zip format that I haven't re-used yet. Most of them were for hacking and this time I am more interested in the creative aspect. I might try and hack again one day, but for now, I create... or I try to :p Not doing too bad till now.

Going through old topics (I stayed up till 4am last night on the forum) I ran into a post about Jack WolfSim project, and saw it was moved to Magnolia Sims. Its where I found the 401 mesh that was troubling me on Sims Creator.

Actually I also thought about changing it to B300, and it did not show up. I do not have any base appearing for me to make swimsuits or lingerie. For swimsuits, yesterday I followed bruja's tutorials for recoloring Scooter's apron and the one to add skin tones. I am stubborn that way, if I can't get it the 'easy' way, I do it the hard way laugh So I didn't do too bad, kinda proud of my (noob) self. But it doesn't solve the fact B300 and a lot of other Maxis meshes do not show for me in Sims Creator.

Thank you for the links, I did not know of Choco Toujours and Archi Chiari, I will have to browse through their pages. A lot of the sites I used are now down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: