Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fun with SimPose
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Fun with SimPose Reply with quote

Look what you can do the C006fa deb head bmp...................
annettebrks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one versatile .bmp!
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that was almost a random example. It's the Maxis female adult head that happens to come in SimPose when you download it. I would think that quite of lot of Maxis bmp's can be used on a large variety of meshes.

The selection of meshes that I happened to have in SimPose yesterday was heavily biased toward those I expected to find useful in preview shots of medieval clothing.

I started out to write a min-tutorial for non-skinners on using SimPose to audition bmp + mesh combinations, for simmers who wanted to increase their supply of clothing for fat and skn sims, or who had discovered mesh conflicts and needed to find another suitable mesh for some of their bmp's.

But the text was so boring that I thought it might be better to start off with some pictorial evidence of how useful SimPose could be. :lol:
SandySimmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome! I've always had a secret desire to learn skinning but it looks so complicated :mrgreen:
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly does it do, Bruja? You mean you can alter the mesh to get all those versions? (Obviously I've never used Sim Pose.)
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimPose is mostly just a preview tool. If you turn the filter off, you can select any bmp you loaded into the appropriate folder, then use your mouse wheel to scroll through all the meshes you put into the (different) appropriate folder.

When you see a match you like, all you have to do is copy the bmp and rename it to match the mesh identifier. Then you put the renamed bmp into yours Skins folder, along with the skn and cmx, and you have a brand new 'skin', without having done anything at all with graphics.

Naturally, you wouldn't rename non-Maxis bmp's, except for use in your own game.

I'll gather up a few more illustrations, and post them, to encourage people to wade through the instructions I'll post. SimPose is exceedingly easy to use, BUT the instructions that come with it boggle a lot of minds.
mtaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxis Create-A-Celeb will allow you to see what meshes you already have installed in the game and what bmps are associated with them. A good way to decide which mesh to keep with skin conflicts.

As an alternative to Sim Pose, SimShow will allow you to see a bmp on different meshes also, and will copy, rename, and import the new bmp into the game for you. It doesn't have the ability to get up close or the 360 view like Sim Pose does.

The ability to use the same bmp on different meshes without doing anything to it is a great thing about Fionn 700 series almost more so than the great styles, almost all of them allow you to use the same bmp with little or no distortion on another mesh of the series.
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would think that quite of lot of Maxis bmp's can be used on a large variety of meshes.

If I remember correctly C003 and C006 meshes were used most often as a base by meshers when new heads and hairstyles were starting to surface. Which one is it that Fionn of SimFreaks used for Real Hair heads? C001?

So those bitmaps may be the most compatible ones. I used to have a lot of fun seeing the different ways faces look on different meshes.

Do you also have a picture of one face on some meshes that it's incompatible with? I found that seeing what happened during those experiments really helped me understand the relation between texture (bmp) and the mesh (skn). In fact, it may have been experimenting with SimShow (distributed by Maxis at the official site) as you suggest that taught me what those weirdo looking outfits were doing in my game!

You know the ones - I KNEW I downloaded a dress and when I got into the game the coloring was right but but the shape was of pants! Simshow helped me understand that the texture could be laid on any shape and that's going to be the result.

TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that explains why so many of my skins show up on about 6 different meshes--it's really weird looking sometimes!

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you also have a picture of one face on some meshes that it's incompatible with?

Here's a bmp that I made for a Parisian villainesse. It was intended for a mesh by glitterusagi of frillysims. It works quite well with the (mostly non Maxis) meshes in the top row, but doesn't fit the (mostly Maxis) meshes in the bottom row.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it! Hey, I might have to try that!
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe that explains why so many of my skins show up on about 6 different meshes--it's really weird looking sometimes!

When you see skins that are clearly on the wrong mesh, it's time to run Skin Doctor, looking for mesh conflicts. If one of the conflicts is Maxis, and you really want the other mesh, you have to rename the non-Maxis mesh.

If, on the other hand, you're not in love with the conflicting mesh, you can put the bmp's into SimPose, along with a goodly supply of the right type of mesh, and look for a match you like. By right type, I mean shorts for shorts, long dresses for long dresses, etc.

This is what happens when you try a mesh of the wrong clothing type:
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example of a negligee I made for the mesh on the left (by una of Comhair), and another mesh (by jerome) which will work with it, although the result looks quite different.

Last edited by bruja on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complex bmp's which include costume parts like hats, etc. are much more difficult to find other compatible meshes for.

In one example, a recolour of a Maxis skin (a long ago request item) looks dreadful on a Riane of Sim Accents mesh which includes a hat.

In the other, a skin I made recently for the wonderful Varda winter mesh by Mary Jean of Simarillion won't work at all with either the long or short skirt mesh.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play, and you don't have SimPose yet, get it here FREE http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims/the-sims-1/the-sims-programs/programs-the-sims-skinningcharacter-editors/ edited to give link to current source.

You will find that the GameData section has OBJ and TEX folders, each with a further letter: B,F,G,M, or P. These respectively stand for Boy, Female, Girl, Male, Prop. The non-Prop folders each have subfolders for : Body, Head, and Hand.

You put skn files into the OBJ folders and bmp files into the TEX folders appropriate to the age, gender, and body part they're intended for.

SimPose doesn't need cmx files.

Now start SimPose and choose an age and gender for the character in the preview screen.

If you want to test bmp's on meshes, click off the box on the Character screen, to allow SimPose to match any pair you want to see.

It's that easy.

Last edited by bruja on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: