Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Sims Programs...Please Don't Faint...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yersinia

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: PC Sims Programs...Please Don't Faint... Reply with quote

Hiya Simmers,

Gosh, what a weekend this was, and thanks to this, I have a question none of you would ever have thought I'd ever ask...

What, other than the general "PC running Windoze," are the actual system requirements/version(s) of Windoze required to run the following Sims "tools" programs:

Skin Doctor
FileCop
FileMaid
Career Creator
Lot Manager

No, I'm not getting a Windoze box, hehehe, but there's a possibility in the next few weeks that I might be able to get an old copy of an old Mac app called "PC Exchange" which might allow me to run Sims tools programs (for which there are no Mac versions) on my Powerbook.

I went to TSR and Paladin's Place where you can download those programs -- not to download them yet but to look for PC system requirements -- and they don't seem to list any. So, since you PC Simmers all use or have used some or all of these, what does it take to run them?

Thanks,

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Madoria

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skin Doctor:

Quote:
System Requirements:
Windows 95 or later
The Sims game installed
800 x 600 or larger desktop size
No runtime files are needed
If you can play The Sims on your computer, you can use Skin Doctor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Installation:
Create a new folder anywhere you like
Unzip SkinDoctor.exe into it
Unzip SkinDoctor Help.chm (this Help File) in the same folder
That's all, no other installation is needed

Susanne
patchover

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C/ProgramFiles/Maxis

That folder

It holds this remarkable program called The Sims laugh

AND

Every single program I use for the game. They are all extracted to that folder, with a folder of their own. So every program lives with Maxis but has it's own room to be itself wink

Nobody leaves their room either nono

hi2 Just Me the Download Junkie whistle

ruthml

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot manager may required:

Quote:
The program requires the Visual Basic 6 runtime files. The VB 6 runtime files may be downloaded from the following locations:
http://www.tweakfiles.com/misc/vb6.html
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/vbrun6.html
http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp4/win98/EN-US/VBRun60sp4.exe

You may already have the VB 6 runtime files on your computer.

Now the other famous Paladin's Place programs like NPC replacer, SimWardrobe, SimWallCat ma also require this runtime files. These are available to download from Paladin's Place. It's a matter of running the programs to see if they work and if they don't downloading the missing files installing them, then running the programs again.

It's usually no big deal, I've had to install them before these programs worked.

Yersinia

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody.

I don't have the Virtual PC program yet, and until I get it (estimated 80% probability), there's no point in my downloading anything yet. Right now I'm just doing preliminary research on it. All I need to know right now is what version of Windoze is the minimum necessary to run the programs I asked about. Thanks Madoria for telling me the Skin Doctor spec of Win95 or higher. Patch, you say you have all the programs I asked about, but you didn't say what version of Windoze you're running on your PC which apparently allows you to use them. So what version of Windoze are you running?

Ruth, I don't know if that VB runtime stuff is on my Mac or not, I'll have to check later on today. If I don't have it, it might mean I won't be able to use those programs (on my Mac, with Virtual PC), but when my boyfriend said he thought he could dig up Virtual PC for me but we were also going to need to know the Windoze version requirements for the programs -- that's why I posed this question.

Thanks,

~Yersinia.

mtaman

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the programs were written when Windows98 was the main operating system.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
Most of the programs were written when Windows98 was the main operating system.

OK, thanks, that's very helpful. hug

~Yersinia.

Yersinia

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: my pack rat (that's my "pet name" for my boyfriend, and believe me, it fits!...hehee) -- said yeah, he did have a version of Virtual PC lying around which now has my name on it, but it emulates only up to Win95 (that's why he asked me to find out which versions of Windoze the Sims tool programs need to run; he couldn't recall if it was Win95 or Win98!). He'll bring it down with him on his next visit (first weekend of June, when he goes to the WWII air show with his father and brother which they do every year).

So it would seem that so far, the only PC Sims tool program I know I have a real fighting chance of running on my Mac will be Skin Doctor, since now I know it's for Win95 or up and PC Exchange definitely does Win95. However, of all the PC tool programs, Skin Doctor is the most important one to me. I can and most likely will still try the others for the hell of it (hey, maybe the ones written on Win98 will turn out backwards compatible, and, Win95 was Win98's immediate predecessor, wasn't it?). Oh, not that I actually expect any of them but Skin Doctor to work now, but it's a relief to know I might actually be able to use Skin Doctor. And boy could I use it right about now, too! I recently found a few child skins I couldn't resist downloading, but I can't put them in my game yet if at all: now I find Sim Show is crashing the instant I set the filter to show children, plus, suddenly I'm itching to get some of my Akaren sims -- specifically the ones who use the nectar press -- these loincloth bathing suits and I also saw some more PJs I like for Akaren sims too (buyables, whose filenames I have to manually change in order to get Sim Show to recognize them (and then change everything back when I see them as "good" in Sim Show). Yeah, I actually tried that on one bathing suit (and somehow, when I open a .cmx file on the Powerbook, it doesn't look like the total gobbledygook it did when I tried it a couple times on the G4). It's not too bad if all I have is one bathing suit or pair of PJs, but if I have a whole mess of them -- and who in the name of Sechal downloads only one skin at a time?? rolleyes -- uh, talk about a major pain in the posterior! I could really use a better way to test new skins! And I'm betting Skin Doctor would save me a lot of time even for "normal" clothes and heads.

Gosh, I hope this works. The air show is next weekend, and of course he always stops here on his way down (his family lives 50 miles south of me), so looks like I should be able to try it all out then. I'll be downloading Skin Doctor, Career Creator and Lot Manager this week and holding them on my flash drive this week until I get Virtual PC installed on both the G4 and Powerbook. (I was thinking of trying Object ID, FileCop and FileMaid too, but since I don't think they do anything different than GUID Checker, maybe I don't need it).

~Yersinia.

mtaman

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimFileMaid has two uses:
1. It automatically unzips big batches of files into the right location for you(Which you probably wouldn't want so you can test stuff individually and SkinShrinker skins)
2. You can use it to make normal clothes buyable with a couple clicks and vice-versa(much easier than copying the files, and then renaming them, and then having to go inside and change them there too)
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
SimFileMaid has two uses:
1. It automatically unzips big batches of files into the right location for you(Which you probably wouldn't want so you can test stuff individually and SkinShrinker skins)
2. You can use it to make normal clothes buyable with a couple clicks and vice-versa(much easier than copying the files, and then renaming them, and then having to go inside and change them there too)

OK, thanks for the info. No, I don't need this one. Yes, I do have to use Skin Shrinker on the skins first to ensure they'll work in my game. In fact, if I downloaded a bunch of new skins right now, say, it would actually make a horrible mess to have these non-Skin Shrinkered skins go in my Skins folder with all the other ones which I processed and tested!

Mmm, I have no idea why I'd want to make normal clothes buyable, but OK, just because I don't need it doesn't mean other Simmers don't! laugh

Thanks again mtaman. smile

~Yersinia.

mtaman

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would make testing buyable clothes easier since you are making them normal clothes to test in SimShow.
annettebrks

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check the download sites to see whether they list the OS specifications for those programs that you're interested in. I know not all do, but some might. If I recall, the Sims was originally released for Win 95, and it wasn't long before programs became available for it. So I would think that most of the programs we use now should work on that, if not all. Win XP was had some quite major changes from previous versions, but Win 98 wasn't all that huge of a difference from Win 95.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
It would make testing buyable clothes easier since you are making them normal clothes to test in SimShow.

Actually, what I'm hoping for is to be able to use Skin Doctor to replace the Sim Show testing, which right now allows me to at least test skins, but is really time-consuming. Without Skin Doctor, I have no choice except to (1) do the Sim Show test, (2) risk throwing bad skins in my game, or (3) just totally stop downloading new skins (I've slowed down a lot, yes because I'm sick of the Sim Show testing, but no, I haven't totally stopped!). My Sim Show test works like this: if I see the new skins come up OK in Sim Show, it means they're good, so I can put them in my game. If Sim Show crashes on a new skin, I then assume something about the skin it crashed on is broken somehow and will either crash my game or maybe I'll end up with 'headless bodies and bodiless heads" if I try to use it in the game. Now maybe some or all of those skins which fail the Sim Show test can be fixed manually somehow, but I'm still not up to that task, so any skin that crashes Sim Show, I just delete it and move on (if Skin Doctor finds a baddie it can't fix, I'll do the same, but at least with Skin Doctor some 'the program fixes it for you' is possible!). Skin Doctor, I keep hearing, automatically checks for baddies and will fix them -- at least most of them anyway -- I've also heard that it won't necessarily fix all bad skins without exception, but I bet in addition to a less tedious testing procedure, I'll get to keep more of the skins if I can use Skin Doctor in lieu of Sim Show. On the other hand, in Sim Show, I have to look at them all myself/pair "components," one at a time, which is why it's so time consuming -- and it doesn't fix anything, and won't even check buyables, which Skin Doctor I hear does (without my having to change the filenames: I only did that once, for the one loincloth bathing suit, for Sim Show). So Sim Show is certainly better than not being able to check skins at all, but that's about all I can say for it in that respect.

Hehehe, oh yeah, your "new line of hazmat suits" came right up in Sim Show, BTW, and though I haven't yet had any need to use them, I've seen them all in my Create-a-Sim screen too. They are soooo coool! biggrin

Oh, Sim Show still has its uses, mind you -- but the only thing I'd want to use it for again, if I get Skin Doctor to work on my Mac, is if I was going to end up going another head-changing spree. It was very nice to be able to choose the heads and have the filenames right in front of me. That, and maybe figuring out the "mix-and-match, then import" game would be cool. While I was doing all those head transplants a few months ago, during the process of looking at heads and writing down filenames, I had noticed that some of the bmps meant for different meshes looked just as good or better on the "wrong" meshes than the "correct" sets did, only I was too chicken to import them. I may someday want to get back to that (and play with outfits too); hey, that would be a cool way to get "new skins" I know would work! laugh

annettebrks wrote:
You might check the download sites to see whether they list the OS specifications for those programs that you're interested in. I know not all do, but some might. If I recall, the Sims was originally released for Win 95, and it wasn't long before programs became available for it. So I would think that most of the programs we use now should work on that, if not all. Win XP was had some quite major changes from previous versions, but Win 98 wasn't all that huge of a difference from Win 95.

Actually, I did go to the sites looking for OS specs/system requirements on the programs, and couldn't find them, which was why I came in here to ask you guys, since you're all using them! laugh And yeah, I'm hoping for some backwards-compatibility out of the programs too. But even if all I can get out of this is Skin Doctor, I'll be happy.

~Yersinia<---off to finish Majri's house..... biggrin

ruthml

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
Quote:
While I was doing all those head transplants a few months ago, during the process of looking at heads and writing down filenames, I had noticed that some of the bmps meant for different meshes looked just as good or better on the "wrong" meshes than the "correct" sets did, only I was too chicken to import them. I may someday want to get back to that (and play with outfits too); hey, that would be a cool way to get "new skins" I know would work!

Yep, that is exactly what many players do. And definitely what skinners do. PC users usually use SimPose to do this and flick through all the head meshes trying them out with different faces. It's amazing how many different looks 1 face can have when you team it with different head meshes. WithSimpose though you then have to go and make a new cmx so you can use your new face/head combo. Probably there's other programs that allow you to export it all prepared and you don't have to do that step. Will you be looking at using BodyWarp as well? It allows you to make cmx files incredibly easily. Unless Sim Show already takes care of that for you.

Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruthml wrote:

Yep, that is exactly what many players do. And definitely what skinners do. PC users usually use SimPose to do this and flick through all the head meshes trying them out with different faces. It's amazing how many different looks 1 face can have when you team it with different head meshes. WithSimpose though you then have to go and make a new cmx so you can use your new face/head combo. Probably there's other programs that allow you to export it all prepared and you don't have to do that step. Will you be looking at using BodyWarp as well? It allows you to make cmx files incredibly easily. Unless Sim Show already takes care of that for you.

floorlaugh floorlaugh floorlaugh

BodyWarp? Me? jfade's psycho

floorlaugh floorlaugh floorlaugh

Ruth, I think you're really jumping the gun here! laugh I really just want an easy way to make sure I get good clean skins in my game, that's all -- and I figured if I made some using existing meshes and bmps in Sim Show, that would be one way to do it.

Mtaman once said yes, if you import a "new sim" you make in Sim Show, everything necessary to make the files work is done for you, by the program, with the import feature. However, playing mix-and-match with Sim Show and having it automatically produce new skins is far into skinning as I ever care to get, and I'm not even in a big hurry to get started. I mean, I got the idea from the head transplants, and I still haven't even tried it, not even while testing skins I've downloaded since then -- I've been going into Sim Show, testing my new skins and getting out.

Serious skinning is just not for me -- I totally hate it when I have to "do things with" skin files, and I'm not an artist who's willing to deal with frustration on that level because that's what has to be done to be a real skinner.

But, if you're trying to encourage me to do creator-type stuff -- while too much messing with skins (and if I'm already not in a good mood, just looking inside my Skins folder!) can make me homicidal, object hacking is a place I might actually go. I've recently made a few minor tweaks to some objects (changed motive advertising), and achieved exactly the results I wanted. For some reason I can't explain, object files don't make me want to rip my hair out of my head like skin files do. But that's a whole other story, which I may eventually get around to telling in Hacker's Hideout.

But, I digress. Enough already. Back to my simmies -- I have three new ones, and two are weavers. biggrin

~Yersinia<----loves being off work for three days to stay up late and Sim! biggrin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: