Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what may I far?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtaman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At TSR I found some information about faring walls and floors in this thread: http://forums.thesimsresource.com/showthread.php?t=312900

Quote:
Take all your user made walls and floors OUT, put them in a folder (yes put walls and floors in same folder), name it whatever you want, make a far file of that. Open up the ExpansionPack2 or ExpansionShared folder, make a folder inside called "WallsAndFloors" exactly that wording (no quotes). Put the far file inside that folder.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ess wrote:
my two cents:

I used to ".far" all my .iff files until I realized that if, perchance, an object ID conflict arose, objectID could not catch it unless the .iffs weren't in far files....

I had a monster of a conflict once that had me tearing my hair out until I extracted all my files!! Now I don't ".far" anything out of fear. jfade's psycho

The Mac tools I use to "get at" .iff files -- IFF Snooper and GUID Checker -- also do not read inside of far files. Which is why I never farred mine either. The only reason why I started considering it (for the first time) this past week, is because I'm even more afraid of object corruption than I am of object ID conflicts. Object ID conflicts are easy enough to diagnose and fix whether you're on PC or Mac (you run Object ID, I run GUID Checker), the programs find the duplicates if any, and we just change a number. All done, no big deal. But when your game is malfunctioning or even just acting weird (when you know you're clean of object ID conflicts because you just checked for and fixed them), yeah, you just go ahead and find out, for certain, which one of your how many hundreds or thousands of objects is corrupted!

surprise What a horror! Uhhh. NO!!! I didn't know that the game itself could corrupt objects until this past January or so. At that time I'd also read (here and at TSR) that making objects read-only would protect them from corruption. When a diagnosis of my severe problems at the time came down to "either corrupted object(s) or corrupted lot(s)," when I did my full tested reinstall, not only trashed what had been my active Downloads folder, I reopened all my objects from original zips and made them read-only, and created a brand new Downloads folder to use in the "new" game. All was wonderful -- until a couple weeks ago when objects started mysteriously disappearing from Buy Mode and my houses. Folks here strongly believed I'd hit my download limit (how I did that with only 4,511 custom downloads (this number includes all of it: objects, walls, floors, roofs and skins), and my Downloads folder only being 239 MB), both makes no sense to me, and rather pisses me off, too, when everyone else in these forums seems to have at least twice as much stuff as I do, but OK, if I hit my download limit, I hit it, and it's time to cull and build another "brand new" Downloads folder. And this time, now I'm reading (both here and at TSR) that farring the objects is the way to protect them from corruption. So since I have to rebuild anyway, if I'm going to do it, may as well do it now, right?

Quote:
My game certainly loaded faster when the .iffs were in a .far file but I discovered that if I let the game start loading and then return to my desktop, the game tends to load itself rather quickly and pop back up in a matter of seconds rather than minutes. I don't know why it does this and I hate to jinx it, but I have over 7900 .iffs in my downloads folder and the game can take up to 10 minutes to load if left to its own devices.

I've heard lots of people in forums say their games booted up faster when they farred their objects, but to me, it's not worth all the extra file jockeying time just for faster load time. My game loads up in eight minutes, and the only time I really consider it a nuisance is if I had to shut the game down for something I didn't want to have to shut it down for in the first place! If I far my objects and my game happens to load up faster as a result, that would be nice, but that kind of time spent on file jockeying is only something I do to fix or prevent actual malfunctions. Like my objects disappearing out from under my poor simmies like they started doing, and object corruption.

Quote:
Oh, and .fars are useful to clean up your walls and floors because you can see a preview of each one and delete any you don't want in a flash. Unfortunately, when my walls and floors are in a .far file, the game can't see them cry

I have some custom walls and floors I'm willing to get rid of if I have to, but the only ones I'd actually like to get rid of are Maxis ones, hahaha! (Actually, I feel this way about numerous Maxis objects, too, sigh.... but I don't dare get rid of Maxis anything!)

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
ess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Yersinia, most of the Maxis walls that came with Living Large are not my cup o tea.

About a week ago, my game was acting as though it had an object id conflict: a rug looked like the right half of a bench and then the lot that it was in would cause my game to repeatedly crash. I was stumped, because objectId could not find anything. I thought, "could it be that a cc object was clashing with a Maxis object?" but the rug and the bench were both cc downloads, so that didn't seem too logical.

I ended up d/ling object viewer and looked at all my downloads until I found that bench! I would never have found the conflict with .far files!

I'll stick to regular back ups of my files; in fact, after reading this thread, I think I will stick to using .far files as my back up system...on CDs, of course.

~Ess

PS, yeah I don't care too much about how long the game takes to load; I just go out to Bloomingdale's while it does so. laugh
mtaman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make a test folder that you put copies of pre-farred objects in to check for conflicts and take out of the game during play. Just add new objects to this test folder whenever you download new items and run your tests for conflicts.
KarinL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken almost all the Living Large walls and floors out of the game .far files. And some other ugly ones as well. Now some of my houses have very weird walls and floors, but nothing crashes.

I also extracted all the bmp files for skins that I could find (still can't find the construction worker or the dark-skinned police woman).
I do have many of them in my game, but only the ones that I like for a particular 'hood - in my regular 'skins' folder.

The game runs fine for me with the 'depleted' far files. And I love not having to scroll past all those eyesore LL walls. :)

I left the objects alone, I don't dare touch the Maxis objects for fear of messing up downloaded objects cloned from them. I will in future try to see if I can make them not show up in my buy catalog instead. I think iff-taxi should be able to get at them inside the .far files, but I haven't tried yet.

The fun part about the Complete Collection on Mac is that it's so easy to look at the DVD and take out any portion of what you want to re-install (such as the .far files if the game does crash!).

Karin
eph

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, seems like this whole faring issue is a game of trial&error, seeing how some things work for some people but not for others.
It will be fun to test that on my game. *g*
And thanks for all the useful info on faring skins and walls!
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ess wrote:
Yeah, Yersinia, most of the Maxis walls that came with Living Large are not my cup o tea.

After having seen (and downloaded!) some of the walls you've created, ess, I understand you on that one, big time! Absolutely none of your walls made my cull list, and I use them in several sim houses. Thank you for making them, they're beautiful. smile

Okay, well, my culling and farring is all done, my game is fixed. (For now, at least. Every time I think I fixed it, somewhere down the road I break it again, so maybe I should never say it's "really" fixed even when I think it is!) Bottom line:

I'm down from 4,511 custom downloads to 3,812. I culled objects, walls and floors (no skins though: I'm running a theme which is extremely skin dependent; I have enough not to need more skins, but I don't want to get rid of the ones I have). I reopened all objects from original zips, subfoldered them and farred the subfolders. My game now loads in four minutes instead of eight, I have my missing objects back -- and it's running beautifully. I do have one broken object, which I (eventually) plan to look into trying to fix, but for the time being all else is well -- I just won't try to buy that object for any sims, and the next time I have occasion to shut down, I'm taking it out of the game. If I can fix it, I'll put it back.

But I'm still not taking out any Maxis stuff, not even the stuff I don't like! I know, I have backups and backups and more backups, but I'm still way too chicken, and also, after the last three weeks of hellacious file jockeying/testing and precious little actual Simming -- I can't bother my lazy ass to put that kind of time into more file jockeying and testing!

laugh

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
KarinL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Dom's GUID checker (at ATS) *does* look inside .far files... I just checked, since I lost a few hours's worth of building due to an ID conflict... :)
All my stuff is farred up and I did find a few - mostly just stuff I have doubled up in my game, apparently, and a few things that I need to take care of.

Then it's back to re-building the Pizzato home (he's a Crime Overlord, so the house is mostly built with money extracted from old Mrs Rosebud... :D)

Karin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: