Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skin Doctor...Help Please?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yersinia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Skin Doctor...Help Please? Reply with quote

Hi Simmers,

I have questions about Skin Doctor and a skin issue I thought it would fix but didn't. Since it's skins, that's why I'm posting in here, but if it really belongs in General (because I need information and advice), it's OK by me if one of our kindly moderators or site owners moves it.

OK, here we go. Despite having been careful to test new skins in Sim Show since cleaning up after last fall's "Skinned Alive Powerbook Adventure," I am back to crashing in the create-a-sim screen. The newest skins I downloaded for that was about a month ago, but it wasn't until a few nights ago that I was actually ready to add some new simmies to that game...and it crashed!

I got to use Skin Doctor -- yes, on a PC, on Saturday. Having lost patience running them one at a time through Sim Show (which is also giving me a problem), I just dumped all my Powerbook custom skins onto my flash drive and drove the 50 miles south to my friend's house to use her PC and Sims 1 installation. And since I was already going to be doing this for the Powerbook skins, I also took my G4 game's skins with me too. Which was sort of good, since I was still trying to get Skin Doctor to run on Mac -- so to see how it works in its native environment, would be a good thing. (Presuming it still matters, anyway.)

I don't know the processor or RAM specs on my friend's PC, but I can tell you it's running Windoze XP and has Sims 1 installed on it, which more than meets the requirements for Skin Doctor (Win 95). Here's what happened:

I had my friend make a copy of her Skins folder in the game so she wouldn't lose her skins, then I emptied out her Skins folder and filled it with my Powerbook custom skin collection. Then I ran Skin Doctor and was totally amazed. It appeared to be doing everything I'd heard about and dreamed of, which is why I was killing myself to force it to work on my Mac. Well once Skin Doctor finished doing its thing on my Powerbook skins, it left me several reports which I saved onto my flash drive, along with the Skin Doctored skins, in a folder "Powerbook Skin Doctor Results." (Note: I didn't get to Skin Doctor my G4 skins when I finished the Powerbook ones because of some kind of Windoze (or maybe even Skin Doctor itself) issue which kept hanging it up and crashing the PC.)

What I'd like to know is what these reports actually mean -- and how come, despite the appearance of Skin Doctor running successfully and fixing my skins -- why, when I put the Skin Doctored skins into the Powerbook's skin folder -- why is it still crashing in the Create-a-Sim screen? It really looked like Skin Doctor had fixed me up! I saw cmx's being removed, files being replaced and all kinds of nifty stuff. But why isn't it fixed?

Here are what I'm guessing are the pertinent reports, if this will help anybody to answer my questions:

1. Unused BMP files:

This was a long list of BMPs, heads only though. My question: I recognized several of the filenames off the top of my head and know they belong to currently existing sims who work perfectly well. What's this all about? How can they be unused if I know I have sims with those files?

2. Bad BMP files:

There was one (just one) BMP listed as "not 256 colors." That's one of the "new" ones I downloaded a month ago, but...what does this mean and could it be causing the create-a-sim crashing?

3. Skin ID Conflicts:

c542ma_fanpoolyoshi.cmx.bcf (Expansion Pack6.far)
c542ma_dreadtail2.cmx (GameData/Skins)

I list what was on the report (just these two, in this category) because while I know I have and use the dreadtail skin, I never put skin files of any kind, anyplace else except the Skins folder. What's that ExpansionPack6.far business -- and what is a .bcf file?

4. Replacement Skin Files

This was a long list of BMPs, heads only (including ones currently in use so they must be OK, right?) Well, some were listed as being in "GameData/Textures" -- another place I never put anything (see #3 above). Is this list files which were replaced?

Were my expectations for Skin Doctor too high? I'm seriously bummed that it didn't clean up my Powerbook skin issue, so maybe it's not worth continuing to kill myself to make it run on my Mac? (I had hit another impasse -- and now that's definitely on hold because the fact that if running it in its ideal native Windoze environment doesn't seem to have fixed my problem, I'm less than inspired to keep banging my head against the wall to make it work in a Windoze emulator!)

Thank you in advance for your insight and advice,

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Skin Doctor...Help Please? Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:

I got to use Skin Doctor -- yes, on a PC, on Saturday. Having lost patience running them one at a time through Sim Show (which is also giving me a problem), I just dumped all my Powerbook custom skins onto my flash drive and drove the 50 miles south to my friend's house to use her PC and Sims 1 installation. And since I was already going to be doing this for the Powerbook skins, I also took my G4 game's skins with me too. Which was sort of good, since I was still trying to get Skin Doctor to run on Mac -- so to see how it works in its native environment, would be a good thing. (Presuming it still matters, anyway.)

I don't know the processor or RAM specs on my friend's PC, but I can tell you it's running Windoze XP and has Sims 1 installed on it, which more than meets the requirements for Skin Doctor (Win 95). Here's what happened:

I had my friend make a copy of her Skins folder in the game so she wouldn't lose her skins, then I emptied out her Skins folder and filled it with my Powerbook custom skin collection. Then I ran Skin Doctor and was totally amazed. It appeared to be doing everything I'd heard about and dreamed of, which is why I was killing myself to force it to work on my Mac. Well once Skin Doctor finished doing its thing on my Powerbook skins, it left me several reports which I saved onto my flash drive, along with the Skin Doctored skins, in a folder "Powerbook Skin Doctor Results." (Note: I didn't get to Skin Doctor my G4 skins when I finished the Powerbook ones because of some kind of Windoze (or maybe even Skin Doctor itself) issue which kept hanging it up and crashing the PC.)

What I'd like to know is what these reports actually mean -- and how come, despite the appearance of Skin Doctor running successfully and fixing my skins -- why, when I put the Skin Doctored skins into the Powerbook's skin folder -- why is it still crashing in the Create-a-Sim screen? It really looked like Skin Doctor had fixed me up! I saw cmx's being removed, files being replaced and all kinds of nifty stuff. But why isn't it fixed?

Here are what I'm guessing are the pertinent reports, if this will help anybody to answer my questions:

1. Unused BMP files:

This was a long list of BMPs, heads only though. My question: I recognized several of the filenames off the top of my head and know they belong to currently existing sims who work perfectly well. What's this all about? How can they be unused if I know I have sims with those files?

If your friend's game doesn't have all the expansion packs that you have, then it doesn't have all the meshes that your game has. So you may have bmp files which in your game use those meshes, but on your friend's installation, these bmp files are not usable, so they're 'unused'

2. Bad BMP files:

There was one (just one) BMP listed as "not 256 colors." That's one of the "new" ones I downloaded a month ago, but...what does this mean and could it be causing the create-a-sim crashing?

Maybe. Take it out and change the colour depth in a graphics program before you put it back. Warn the skinner - we're all capable of missing a step in preparing skins for the game.

3. Skin ID Conflicts:

I list what was on the report (just these two, in this category) because while I know I have and use the dreadtail skin, I never put skin files of any kind, anyplace else except the Skins folder. What's that ExpansionPack6.far business -- and what is a .bcf file?

fanpoolyoshi is one of the Maxis heads from the SuperStar expansion pack. (Expansion Pack6.far) is the SuperStar far. And a bcf file is equivalent to a cmx file, used by Maxis inside Maxis far files. Any c542ma bmp you have will appear on both meshes. So you might get some weird heads.

4. Replacement Skin Files

This was a long list of BMPs, heads only (including ones currently in use so they must be OK, right?) Well, some were listed as being in "GameData/Textures" -- another place I never put anything (see #3 above). Is this list files which were replaced?

Replacement files are files outside the far files which have the same name as files inside far files.

The game is set up so that when the game has to choose between 2 identically named files, it will choose the one OUTSIDE the far. A lot of custom content uses this feature to replace a Maxis file with a different file. NPC Replacer, for example does this.

I can't remember whether NPC Replacer ever puts replacement bmp's into GameData/Textures.

I just checked my Replacement Skins, and found a whole pile. I clicked on one of the bmp files for a preview, and quickly realized that almost all of mine are the the skins for the medieval version of the fashion runway that mtaman made for Studiotown. And I definitely don't want them removed from my game.

Were my expectations for Skin Doctor too high?

Not too high, just inaccurate. Some problems Skin Doctor fixes by changing files which cannot work.

Other non-standard things Skin Doctor finds aren't changed, because the program can't tell if you have deliberately chosen to have them that way. (Or because Skin Doctor isn't a graphics program.) Instead, you get reports, and then you decide what you want to do with the identified items.

Unused bmp files, replacement files, and more than one mesh (Skin Doctor alerts you to the cmx) with the same identifier - these are all potential 'annoyances' rather than game-crashing problems.

And the problems that Skin Doctor CAN deal with by fixing or removing will only be fixed or removed IF YOU HAVE THE LITTLE BOX CHECKED.

~Yersinia.

mtaman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Skin ID Conflicts:

fanpoolyoshi is one of the Maxis heads from the SuperStar expansion pack. (Expansion Pack6.far) is the SuperStar far. And a bcf file is equivalent to a cmx file, used by Maxis inside Maxis far files. Any c542ma bmp you have will appear on both meshes. So you might get some weird heads.

And since you don't have SS, you don't need to worry about this conflict.

Quote:
I can't remember whether NPC Replacer ever puts replacement bmp's into GameData/Textures.

NPC Replacer uses skin files that are already in the Gamedata/Skins folder. What NPC Replacer does is change the names of the skins used by the NPC in the NPC iff, it doesn't place skins anywhere.

The Textures folder is where Maxis put all the bmps used by the original game in a far file.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
If your friend's game doesn't have all the expansion packs that you have, then it doesn't have all the meshes that your game has. So you may have bmp files which in your game use those meshes, but on your friend's installation, these bmp files are not usable, so they're 'unused'

Yeah, we have some differences in our EP configurations. She has HP and SS which I don't, and I have UL, which she doesn't (she bought it, installed it and promptly got rid of it because she couldn't stand the glitches). Well, OK, thanks, now it makes sense and I'm not worried about this anymore.

Quote:
Maybe. Take it out and change the colour depth in a graphics program before you put it back. Warn the skinner - we're all capable of missing a step in preparing skins for the game.

Thank you! Yes, I should, and will contact the skinner (presuming I can trace back to the site I got the skin from at least): it was a spontaneous download from a set which caught my attention because it had elderly sims with long grey hair) who I thought might make good Akaren elders, but I'll just take this and the rest of the skins from this set out of the game. There is no download in existence I want so badly that I would be willing to get a graphics program and learn how to use it or even about graphics in general. I have no idea what "color depth" even is! and, no, I don't need to know! laugh

Quote:

Hahaha, OK, no worries for me here then, since I don't have SS. Thanks! smile

Quote:
Replacement files are files outside the far files which have the same name as files inside far files.

The game is set up so that when the game has to choose between 2 identically named files, it will choose the one OUTSIDE the far. A lot of custom content uses this feature to replace a Maxis file with a different file. NPC Replacer, for example does this.

I just checked my Replacement Skins, and found a whole pile. I clicked on one of the bmp files for a preview, and quickly realized that almost all of mine are the the skins for the medieval version of the fashion runway that mtaman made for Studiotown. And I definitely don't want them removed from my game.

Hm, OK, this was interesting to find out in general, i.e., good to find out I got this report because this is how the game works, not because it means another problem.

NPC Replacer -- that's PC only if my memory of my visit to Paladin's Place serves me correctly, and on top of that I don't feel the need to change NPCs anyway.

Quote:
Not too high, just inaccurate. Some problems Skin Doctor fixes by changing files which cannot work.

Other non-standard things Skin Doctor finds aren't changed, because the program can't tell if you have deliberately chosen to have them that way. (Or because Skin Doctor isn't a graphics program.) Instead, you get reports, and then you decide what you want to do with the identified items.

Thank you again for clarifying Skin Doctor's capabilities. As to what to do with the reports it generates, haha, for me, the thing to do with defective skins that Skin Doctor can't fix (or which crash Sim Show, since I won't be getting to use Skin Doctor again any time soon) is throw them out. While I'm OK when it comes to working with object files, skin files drive me insane, plus there's my aforementioned aversion to graphics. There was a time I thought maybe I might try my hand at getting inside and trying to fix an occasional broken .cmx (I got far as one experiment about two months ago I think: renaming the files and changing the .cmx for one buyable skin to see if it would show up in Sim Show, and it did), but I wouldn't want to do it again or do that kind of thing regularly. Nope, just not interested in pursuing skin repairs or graphics. For me, working with skin files is just too frustrating and ruins my enjoyment of the game.

Quote:
Unused bmp files, replacement files, and more than one mesh (Skin Doctor alerts you to the cmx) with the same identifier - these are all potential 'annoyances' rather than game-crashing problems.

And the problems that Skin Doctor CAN deal with by fixing or removing will only be fixed or removed IF YOU HAVE THE LITTLE BOX CHECKED.

Haha, I don't mind annoyances, it's the crashing I have problems with. My Powerbook game is actually playing well otherwise, i.e., for now, the only time it's crashing is on skin stuff (create-a-sim and in the wardrobe). The problem is, it's time to add some more simmies (the current villagers need their Caeolinh, and I need another couple or two beyond her so she can make enough friends to make it to Mayor..sorry if I'm snotty, but Akaren sims are not hanging out with human townies, and fixing the townies is more skin stuff, so no thanks). So I really need to stop the crashing here.

laugh Uh, yeah, well, as far as I remember, I saw the little box, checked it and said, "DUH! Of course I want these skins fixed, why did I spend an hour last night putting the stuff on my flash drive and then driving 50 miles to get here to do this?!" laugh

Oh well, looks like if getting rid of the skin with the bad BMP, doesn't stop the crashing, I'm also going to have to do that awful Sim Show run on every single skin in that Powerbook again to pick out the baddies, just like I did in the fall to clean up that mess. OK fine. So much for Skin Doctor and me. :::::sigh:::::

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Darksimmer26

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

sorry for randomly jumping into your discussion, but do you by any chance know where I can download skin doctor?

Thanks in advance.
Sita

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find it at CTO Sims. Or check your PMs.

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sappho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of randomly breaking in ...

I've just run the Skin Doctor on my own files, deleted a bunch of BMPs which actually weren't skin related in the first place, and now find I've got a page of ID conflicts. I'm not sure how to handle these.

Can anyone help?

Sappho
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, read the Help file within Skin Doctor.

Skin duplicates aren't a problem, the way object duplicates are; they're just an annoyance.

A typical mesh duplication will have the mesh with flats or high heels. You need to choose which you want in your game. If you want both, you need to rename one of the meshes AND the cmx name and internal name, and ALL THE BMP'S YOU WANT TO USE THAT MESH.

The really annoying duplications are two different meshers which have been given the same 3 digit identifier by 2 different meshes. You either discard one (skn, cmx, and all bmps) or rename the one which has fewer bmps in your game. Remember that in renaming, you must also rename bmp's and cmx and change the internal line in the cmx.

I find using SimPose the best way to figure out what I want to do in this situation.

Except for annoyance, you can go ahead and play if duplicates are your only problem.

Sappho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
First, read the Help file within Skin Doctor.

Skin duplicates aren't a problem, the way object duplicates are; they're just an annoyance.

Oh, good! I can live with that, at least for now.

Thank you!

Sappho
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although duplicate skins aren't a problem they can contribute to your maximum number of skins AND if something happens to one file (say, it becomes corrupt) you can be ripping your hair out looking at the one the game isn't seeing. smile

But aside from potential organizational issues it's fine. Just something to keep in mind if you ever have a skin problem.

xamme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I've been looking to download Skin Doctor in the hopes of fixing some skin problems but can't find it anywhere. Would anybody be able to help? smile
rambo14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Skin Doctor...Help Please? Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
Hi Simmers,

I have questions about Skin Specialist in Dubai and a skin issue I thought it would fix but didn't. Since it's skins, that's why I'm posting in here, but if it really belongs in General (because I need information and advice), it's OK by me if one of our kindly moderators or site owners moves it.

OK, here we go. Despite having been careful to test new skins in Sim Show since cleaning up after last fall's "Skinned Alive Powerbook Adventure," I am back to crashing in the create-a-sim screen. The newest skins I downloaded for that was about a month ago, but it wasn't until a few nights ago that I was actually ready to add some new simmies to that game...and it crashed!

Hi,
This is the link that i mentioned you above this is the best Dermatologist in all UAE. They treat me and prescribe me online if you are not satisfied with the other you can try them.
zockoyka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xamme, Skin Doctor can be downloaded from Blarney Stone, by wayback. It is under Programs / Sims1Programs
https://web.archive.org/web/20050212132228/http://theblarneystone.org/
Thalia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know it takes a LOT to offend me but that bot/spammer putting an ad in the mouth of a dead woman about does it for me. For %$&'$ sake.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That!! angry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: