Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloads Folder vs. GameData/User Objects Folder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Downloads Folder vs. GameData/User Objects Folder Reply with quote

Hey Simmers,

What's the difference between putting your custom objects in GameData/User Objects as compared to putting them in the Downloads folder?

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
mtaman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't that much difference if any. You can put stuff in the Downloads folder, Gamedata/User Objects folder, or the Gamedata/Objects folder, and most of the time they'll work in any of them.

Maxis recommended putting downloaded content in the Downloads folder. I think the Gamedata/User Objects was intended for content that the user made themself to keep it separate from downloaded content.

Some people who have themes keep the stuff they use in all the themes like doors, windows, plants in the Gamedata/User Objects folder and leave it and switch their theme content folders in and out of the Downloads folder.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
There really isn't that much difference if any. You can put stuff in the Downloads folder, Gamedata/User Objects folder, or the Gamedata/Objects folder, and most of the time they'll work in any of them.

Maxis recommended putting downloaded content in the Downloads folder. I think the Gamedata/User Objects was intended for content that the user made themself to keep it separate from downloaded content.

Some people who have themes keep the stuff they use in all the themes like doors, windows, plants in the Gamedata/User Objects folder and leave it and switch their theme content folders in and out of the Downloads folder.

OK, thanks. I was asking because I'm about to rebuild my downloads (I've been culling). Bruja mentioned that she puts her subfoldered custom objects in GameData/User Objects instead of in Downloads (which is where I've always kept mine thus far), so I was wondering about differences if any -- if one is better, that's where I want to put mine.

Hey, I could use a quick straight answer here in time for my rebuild (which will involve reopening my keeper objects from the original zips, which I'm also in process of finally organizing into subfolders!) --

To prevent corruption of my objects -- should I make them read-only and far their subfolders? Or should I just far the subfolders? I will do whichever you say will prevent corruption, and I'll also put them wherever you say they should optimally go (tell me where, please; I'm inclined to go with Downloads, but really if it's better to put them elsewhere, I'll do it).

Thank you for your help! smile

~Yersinia.

patos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about far or read-only for subfolders but I do know that I have always used the GameData/Objects folder for sims sites A - R and GameData/UserObjects folder for sims sites S - Z. That is because I like to keep the files from each site together. That is just my peculiarity.

I do put C&C things in the downloads folder when that is where the readme says to put them.

And I have never had any problems with doing it that way. I just didn't like filling the Downloads folder so full and having to scroll so much to find subfolders. This way it isn't quite so much scrolling to find things.

patchover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blush I have 255 subfolders in my Downloads

ONE and only one has ALL of the Maxis files.
That subfolder is MAXIS rolleyes

So I have been to many sites, but of course some of you creators and hackers go and make stuff so darned good, I just HAVE TO HAVE IT whistle

So they have 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11

That one is TSR, I paid to be there for four years laugh

dry Now it's all free.. hug Really I'm glad for everyone

Some files, very few need to be in a special place. I think the Tooth Fairy file I had needed to be in GameData.. Otherwise it's where the site it came from in Downloads. That did not work unless part of her sweet Tooth Fairy files were in GameData. Testing is the trick to using hacks yes

Cici that's the way to do it in Downloads. What you do in GameData. Nothing is wrong; as long as it works. Everybody is right in how they do it. The proof is the fact their game works and they see their files in the catalogs. Success is so sweet dance

When I first started, I just threw them in Downloads. I had so many jfade's psycho

All of them were loose. Then a brain section woke up, question Maxis put's it's files in subfolders in here.. thumbsup

That was the beginning of the World of Blue Patty and her Game hi2

Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patos and Patch,

Thanks -- I'll stick with the Downloads folder. smile

But please, somebody, I need to know, yes or no, does farring really protect better against object corruption than making the objects read-only?

Thank you so much,

~Yersinia.

mtaman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, farring will protect them from corruption better than just making them read only. Making them read only before farring probably won't make a difference, but if you already have them as read only, it won't hurt. I wouldn't go back and undo them.
patchover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the read only was so the game would load them faster, somehow reads better question

Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
Yes, farring will protect them from corruption better than just making them read only. Making them read only before farring probably won't make a difference, but if you already have them as read only, it won't hurt. I wouldn't go back and undo them.

Thank you mtaman. What I'm interested in is protection from corruption; I wish I could remember who it was back in January who said making them read-only would accomplish this, but I can't. OK, so it's farring instead. Oh, and I won't be undoing my current read-onlies, I'm reopening all my keepers from original zips and I'll far the subfolders, then drop them in Downloads. (Soon as I'm done wih Sim Show on the Powerbook, anyway: since I got that answer first, that's the problem I'm going to knock out first...then back to the G4 to run another "Bruja test" (which will also tell me if my disappeared objects did get corrupted somehow), and then finish the culling I started and rebuild the Downloads folder with farred objects).

Thank you so much!

patchover wrote:
I always thought the read only was so the game would load them faster, somehow reads better question
hug

Actually, I've heard for many months that farring your downloads is what makes the game load them up faster. I just never farred mine because of the fact that objects in far files have to be extracted if you ever want to get at them again -- someone did tell me, even if I can't remember who, that making them read-only would protect them from corruption -- but I had no idea that farring had any effect on object corruption at all until very recently. My game was taking less than ten minutes to boot up, so I didn't care to give up my "easy access" to objects in exchange for speed of loading time.

Ah well....guess I may as well enjoy the faster game load time since I'm going to do the farring anyway!

~Yersinia<----on her way back to the Powerbook, Sim Show and cleaning up her skin mess...

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a fle Read-only in windows means it will be opened only for read-access and not read-write access. Oping for both takes a bit longer, and could possibly allow it to muck them up eaiser, it dosen't make much difference since the game only reads the objects andyway. It only need Read/write to lots, familys and such. So I don't really think that is the primary cause of the mucking.

I'v heard abotu Faring prevent croupption, but never a faster loadtime. The faster loaditme makes sence, becuase insted of winding it's way through a bunch of folders and subfolders, the subfolders of the far are are more bits of data that the game can now ignore. As for corruption, the far file might provide a bit of a dumping ground, for teh spare bit the game may accadently write somewhere on crash... It makes sence this way, but this is only my logical observation not proven fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wheatley1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fared all my downloads into about 9 big fars and what I do is I keep them outside the game and COPY them into the User Objects folder.
One Thing I should mention is that I would not far the C & C gardening items, as when I did that they no longer showed up in the game.

Jackie
Yersinia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheatley1 wrote:
I have fared all my downloads into about 9 big fars and what I do is I keep them outside the game and COPY them into the User Objects folder.
One Thing I should mention is that I would not far the C & C gardening items, as when I did that they no longer showed up in the game.

Jackie

Wow, that's strange about the C&C gardening items. The C&C garden plots (both veggie and grapes/elderberries), the garden shed and sprinklers are staples to my game that I couldn't live without. I just farred objects for the first time this weekend. There are 25 subfolders, each with less than 199 objects each, all farred now -- including all my C&C gardening items, and they're working wonderfully. I put the fars in the Downloads folder, though, not User Objects.

But oh yes, the fars I just put in the game were copies! I have all the subfoldered objects in one folder, fars in another. Hopefully that should minimize future complications. laugh

~Yersinia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: