Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silly Simmer you!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
langenoire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Silly Simmer you! Reply with quote

What's the dumbest thing you've ever managed to do to a family, or a house? Something that left you flabbergasted at your own incompetence...

Like, one sim had a cat. She loved her little orange cat, but he would /not/ stop peeing on the floor! Day in, day out, if she was lucky, he'd go whee on the terrace, and not on the carpet. Finally, in a pique, I deleted his food dish and let him starve. (This was before I had the move plants, and could think of nothing else). Only later did I realize that I'd forgotten to buy him a litter box. I had to stop playing the household because I felt bad everytime I saw his little kitty ghost.

And just a few minutes ago, I managed to decimate the population of my Victorian neighborhood. The Jibaris move in, and the neighbors come over for tea. The housekeeper lights the fireplace, greets everyone, then pours. Just as everyone is getting along famously, the carpet goes up in flame...all nine squares of it! Guess who put in the wrong fireplace! I mst have been doing it late at night and clicked the maxis original because I normally don't use them except in huge rooms where no one is near the fireplace, or it's never on. Anyway, so the front parlour goes up in flames. The housekeeper, who was on her way to the kitchen, rings the fireman, who takes his own sweet time coming, then tries to extinguish the man of the house. Between the burning rug, couch, chairs, endtable etc, no one can get away. Sharif dies as his wife is trying to put him out. She pleads with death, then realizes her neighbor Rebekah is expiring in the corner. Her brother Noah, trapped between the couch and fireplace dies, then the little girl, Lena, who'd come to visit with Magda, Mr. Jensen's housekeeper, catches fire trying to run from Death, who's collecting up Noah. Magda dies trying to put Lena out, and little Omar starts to smolder while mourning his father's urn. But the fireman puts him out, as his mother, in a full abaya, manages to run into the kitchen.

Needless to say, I didn't save the game. Most of the houses would have been in mourning if I didn't take pity.
patchover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Lord the most memorable for me was when I first got the game. I wanted my brother to have an outside world of camping, he loved that.

So his family all lived out doors with lots of pretty trees and good outside plants. Well I had Jim go and get started on dinner.

Next thing I do is get up and go to the bathroom. When I return I see that my sweet family of brother, sister in law and four kids are all burned and dead. I see the Reaper for the first time, and it's with my brother and his family surprise

This was before I realized, do not save nono

whistle Oh did I feel badly, yet this is the brother that still lives on in the real world. I did not burn my baby brother that has gone on to a new world hug

Life is funny and so is this game wink

yes Of course there is such a thing as reading enough to not burn up stuff, but that's when I got better at this game smile

langenoire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Fire! *flap* Reply with quote

I had a steep learning curve with fireplaces, myself. Every single painting above a fireplace bursts into flame? Really?

The number of sims who perish in a blaze of flame is second only to the number of sims who instead of running away, run towards the fire caused by the first sim. Third has to be the sims who die trying to save the others. Usually I make the remaining sims soldier on.

I had a close call last night when one little farm girl got bored and enchanted one of the gnomes her daddy makes for fun. Except it burst into flame, and when he heard her screams, he ran straight towards the gnome. The fire spread to the surrounding gnomes, the rest of the family came running, and daddy got wedged in. Fortunately his wife is really good at rock paper scissors. And Marisela wonders if she shouldtoss her wand in the pond.
Ludic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a lovely new home for 2 new sim brothers and forgot to save before I let them go "live". Naturally they had to cook right away (on a supposedly "safe" stove) and they both burned up! Then the big decision was whether to not save the game and save the brothers or save the game and the house. Well, I spent more time building the house than creating the brothers, so I left them dead, cleaned up the ash and made new brothers.

I've also lost 2 sim "brother's-in-law", one to a fireplace fire, and one to a grill fire. I didn't save those games, since it is rather upsetting to have a "real person" sim perish. Naturally when I re-entered the grill fire house, wouldn't you know it, but the brother-in-law headed right back to the grill and started another fire. This time I saw it happen and got him away from danger--- no more grilling for that family!
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY!

surprise

I have to say I learned quickly on about basic fire hazards -- in the sense that within my first month of gameplay, I had enough fires (luckily, no dead sims though) -- within a couple of weeks, I think, I totally refused to let my sims use their stoves until they had a minimum of one cooking skill point. Seems that's all it takes -- they may not make the greatest, most satisfying meals on only one cooking point, but at least they don't burn the house down and themselves too! (I guess if your sim lives alone, there's no one to plead with Death to get him back, huh?) The first thing I make every new sim do when he or she first goes into the house is study cooking! No exceptions!

Grills I never had a problem with (maybe because I hardly ever use them at all?), and I never used the Maxis fireplaces -- especially not after the passing of a couple of months and my discovery of fire safe fireplaces.

About eight or nine months go by (real time, not sim time) and I don't have a single fire. Then I lost one of my sim Clark's cars, i.e., the original zip for it. I found another car that looked enough like it, downloaded it and bought three of them for Clark (he had three of the other one, too). Now this happens almost immediately after I start playing the brand new game I'd just reinstalled and rebuilt totally from scratch -- two simdays into Clark and Lena's house, there are two massive, ginormous fires which destroy the entire back yard and Clark's garage! Of course, Clark and Lena start to run to the fire, and I instantly hit pause and got their queues maxed out with things to do in the house (starting with having Clark call the fire department!), so they wouldn't go outside into the fire and kill themselves. The only thing that really had me on tenterhooks was the fact that I had no control over Lena's pet rat, and I was afraid he would run to the fire!

I played the whole thing out, took pictures of the fire even (posted them in the thread Fire! in Show and Tell, in fact. Funny thing is, when it was over, it'd been so long since I'd had a fire, I'd forgotten what those little dark grey piles were...ashes, of course. It took 20 or 21 simdays -- with the help of a maid and Servo, to clean up the mess. Then I bought them all new stuff to replace their losses (all of Clark's garage/workshop items, the tent and all the camping gear in the back yard, and of course all the cars and trucks too).

Good news: mtaman found me my original car (which never started any fires), plus tipped me off to the SimWardrobe Fire Brigade, too. So Clark got his old cars back, and I've trashed even the zip for the one that starts fires! I haven't had a single fire since.

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: