Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd Showers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheatley1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Odd Showers Reply with quote

I have been trying to do something which I have had planed for a long time, and that is to build houses using the sets that I have downloaded. I started with my no.1 far (obviously) and started with the first sets in the list that I made. This first house was with the White Minimalist sets from TSR.
I built the house on lot one in an unused neighbourhood and made myself a test sim to move in (with a lot of help from Auntie Rosebud). It was going well apart from the Burbs being the first people there and arguing untill my sim went to have a shower. She would not get out and I thought that it was because of the Burbs being there. so I quit the house without saving and started again saying goodbye the Burbs before her higene had droped too much, but the same thing happened again. I tried everything with this sim even taking out both the downloads and object files and using the virgin ones from the saved MM game on my hard drive but nothing worked. Not even re-downloading the bathroom set from TSR and unziping it into my game.
I then tried the shower with Clair Charming and it worked the way it should. And in fact it works with all the Maxis made sims but not with any that I have made and Debug mode dosn't seem to catch it either. This is driving me potty jfade's psycho and I was hoping that someone could explain why this is happening only since I have installed Superstar and Makin' Magic.

Thank You

Jackie
Jumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sim also got stuck in the shower with the showers from both the white and the black Minimalist bathroom sets and I had to use move_objects to delete her then bring her back to release her. She was a downloaded skin. I never tried any of the Maxis Sims in this shower.

I also had trouble with one of the shelves from the White Minimalist set....it wouldn't show up in my game catalogue. I tried re-catting it, re-downloading it, and cloning it but nothing made it show up in the catalogue, so in the end I just deleted it. The black set had a similar setup, a basin with a shelf on either side, and both those shelves showed up alright and worked fine.

Chris
Madoria

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly now...

You all know that certain objects needs eps but also that if one has
a lot of eps installed and clone an object from the basic Sims , such as a shower- there will be changes made to the game code to the game causing the object to need a higher ep than it originally did.

If I can recall correctly - before someone hacked the N99 forums a couple of years ago there was a tread in the creators about this.

Showers changed with HP , Vac and I know MM.

If one is using a shower cloned from a game installment with expacks that
the players game doesn't have it cna cause problems and glitches.

From the Minimalist sets I have had problems with the Dressers, they
give me SuperStar in SimCategorizer wich means that Fairywitch had SS installed when she made those sets. As I don't have SS installed I can't use those dressers at all.

Dressers changed with HD, Vac and SS.

Toilets changed with HP.

Sofas changed with HD

Counters changed with HD and some more...

This is a real pain for objectmakers thinks "If I clone a dresser from the basic game all will be able to use it..."

I know dishwashers and trash compactors and fridges also are affected.

Trying to use one of them centers the Sims on the lot or just makes it drop out of the action line.

For an object to be truly ep free it most be cloned in a total ep free game or be a iff file from such a game.

jfade's psycho

I always use SimCategorizer to see if it says something about new sets and objects - most of the time it is dressers...

Susanne
wheatley1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My Sim also got stuck in the shower with the showers from both the white and the black Minimalist bathroom sets and I had to use move_objects to delete her then bring her back to release her. She was a downloaded skin. I never tried any of the Maxis Sims in this shower.

I also had trouble with one of the shelves from the White Minimalist set....it wouldn't show up in my game catalogue. I tried re-catting it, re-downloading it, and cloning it but nothing made it show up in the catalogue, so in the end I just deleted it. The black set had a similar setup, a basin with a shelf on either side, and both those shelves showed up alright and worked fine.

Chris

As I said it only happens with my made sims even with using Maxis meshes. I also had the same problem with one of the white shelves. I could only get one or the other to show up.

I don't think that it is an expansion pack thing either unless it is because my base game is Deluxe as I have all the expansions up to Makin' Magic. And according to SimCategorizer it has no expansion pack requirements. I have come to the conclusion that it is just one of those anoying things with this game.

Jackie
KarinL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that problem with an office chair from ATS - every time my Sim sits down in it, it gets kicked out to the centre of the lot.
It happened to Bob Newbie, too, so it's not downloaded skins in this case. :)

Thanks for that information, Madoria - I didn't know that, it's something to look out for if/when I ever start creating stuff for myself...

I have CC for Mac, so Deluxe items are my only problem as far as EPs go.

I have the problem with the downloaded objects not showing up mostly with Dincer's Provencial sets. It was even worse in this case - I used the sets to decorate a house, my game crashed, I managed to salvage all my downloads and houses, and re-installed them all after I re-installed the game. And suddenly I got these 'missing objects' in all my houses, and 1/4 of Dincer's stuff was gone... Still in my downloads, but not showing up in the game...
I have it in my new set-up and it works fine... Weird, huh?

Karin
Jumbuck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that info, Mad. thumbsup

The thing that gets me with that white shelf is....surely she would have cloned both shelves off the same object? They were almost identical anyway, they just had different toiletries or whatever sitting on them. So why would one show up and the other one not?

Chris
Madoria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, prolly one of them got corrupted along the way...

Kim , TheIms3 , had problems with some of her french bookcases beeing
that - they didn't show in the game and somehow the graphics got lost.

It had something to do with T-mog...let me see...

Well, here is the qoute:
Raeven wrote:

Quote:
Be sure to close Transmogrifier before zipping.
That problem comes from T-mog not closing the file out properly. Ruth's had it, for instance, when T-mog was forced to stop while still open because the battery ran out. I've watched the file sizes and noticed that zipping the file while T-mog is open zips the inflated version of the file (presumably one corrupt or about to be). I also ran some experiments where I exported and imported repeatedly without making any actual changes to any files and saw the file size grow each time.

Whatever extra garbage gets put into the file while it's being worked on is stripped out when T-mog closes properly.

... from this tread:
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=1331

If you read the last entry it is me -and it explains why I hardly ever have had this problem with my own objects.

Susanne
fairywitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled upon this thread. I know that the shower causes problems for some people but not all. In testing the shower I used my own made sim character, not one from Maxis and it worked fine. I have used the shower since in other houses (tons of times) and not had any problems. The Guids are fine. Those people that have problems could re-clone the shower and try it out OR use Iff Pencil to copy the relevant info to a new cloned shower and try it out then - or paste over the sprites, a's and z's to a new cloned shower if they aren't comfortable with using Iff Pencil. Otherwise I have no ideas.

Jumbuck, I don't know what is going on the with the shelves. I hear this for the first time and it's been a couple of years since that set was out. I also don't know why they aren't working for you.

I always close T-Mog before zipping up objects btw, so I know that isn't the problem either. I would imagine that 100's of people who downloaded those sets from TSR would have said something by now if certain items didn't work for all of them. Well, I hope they would because they were sets you could only get through subscribing back then! surprise If something didn't work and I paid to get it, you can be sure I would contact the creator and let them know.
Jumbuck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jumbuck, I don't know what is going on the with the shelves. I hear this for the first time and it's been a couple of years since that set was out. I also don't know why they aren't working for you.

I would imagine that 100's of people who downloaded those sets from TSR would have said something by now if certain items didn't work for all of them.

Yes, that's what I thought too, Andrea, which is why I never bothered getting in touch with you about it. I only downloaded them after they became freebies at TSR so heaps of other people would have been using them long before that. In the end, after exhausting all possible attempts to solve the problem, I figured that the shelf not showing up in my inventory must have been caused by something in my own game (like not having Deluxe or something.).

Please don't think I'm blaming you for the problem. I only brought it up in this thread because Jackie mentioned the shower that her Sim was getting stuck in and I was hoping that someone on the forum might have a solution for both of us. Or at least be able to tell us why these things were happening in our games but not in everyone else's.

Truth be told, I was extremely disappointed that I wasn't able to use the showers from these sets, or the shelf from the white set. I absolutely love both sets and I also really like that the sinks were fixed so that Sims couldn't wash dishes in them (something I hate.)

I'm very sorry if this thread has caused you any upset, that was not my intention.

Chris
Madoria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrea - there is so many things that can go wrong when downloading so
if it is fine for you it is prolly the downloading itself.
I didn't think it was your fault - we just takled abotu waht can cause problems and corruption !!!

Let's see what SimExplorer and Simcategorizer says here at myplace:
well, both shelves shows in both programs.

I will load my game and see if there is any problems...
back later...

Susanne
Madoria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my own Sim Michael - with custom head and clothing took a shower in the white one and didn't get stuck.

( I have Double Deluxe , HD and MM installed)

But - only shelf2 - with the flowers in a vase showed up ...
and they don't conflict with each other either ...

How weird. The graphics resource is there - otherwise it wouldn't show in SimExplorer at all...

I don't know enough about iffPencil2 to be able to check with that.

Susanne
fairywitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Jumbuck, no upset here. smile No worries! I'd like these items to work for everyone too. The 10% of players the items don't work for (just guessing the amount) still bothers me though.

I have the base game and all the expansions. No Deluxe or Double Deluxe - or whatever they were called.

Btw, I hate that about dishes being washed in the sink! Ugh! thumbsdown Something Maxi's really could have left out altogether if you ask me.

Thanks for taking a look at them Madoria. I had looked at the shower before when someone notified me of it but couldn't find anything wrong. I think there was a thread at TSR about it aswell. It would be great to find out what is causing these issues.
Madoria

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good Andrea !!!

Hm... can it be something that is conflicting with the shower in that certain persons game.... It doesn't have to a GUID , it can be something hacked .

I only had the C & C Fridge + Simlogical bathroomdoor + LIUN firealarm and LIUN burglar alarm on this particular lot of enhanced objects.

How annoying it is when an object doesn't work for a few.

Btw Andrea - thank you soo much for taking the time to put up your Sims 1 stuff again and to so generously allow cloning and recolouring !!!
It is great cus we actually have a few now starting out creators and for them ( and me who is lazy sometimes) to have such great objects to
work with instead of just Maxis stuff , witch very soon becomes boring!

Susanne hug
fairywitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've heard of a few people throughout the years having problems with Sims getting stuck in Maxi's showers too and also the getting stuck whilst watching T.V., so I tend to think that it's more of a game glitch that I can't "undo". If I could, I would. Just this afternoon my daughter watched me play and my sim just would not get up from watching t.v. to cook and I told her that while it's annoying, it's kind of like real life too.. sometimes you watch t.v. endlessly and can't be bothered getting up anymore and my sims do that too!! LOL! laugh

You're welcome, Susanne. smile I hope people have a lot of fun using them.
Madoria

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laugh Well, the Tv one is I belive Maxis humour as I think it is not all sims who does that - I think it depends on personality of the Sim...

... the mystery with one of the white shelves not showing up is weird...
I would like to know why but I don't no enough about iffPencil2 to have a look there. It is not a Guid conflict with the other shelf at least so it must be something in the codeing... jfade's psycho

It is prolly all Maxis fault !!! whistle

Susanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: