Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pruning bloat bmps from iff files (Picture intensive)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter9g

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
The only bmp you want is the one that has the same number as the CTSS resource. The others are all unnecessary bloat that you can delete and thereby reduce the file size.

One note of caution...

This is true for most objects, but a few objects have dialog boxes that use custom BMP resources which you wouldn't want to delete. The SimFreaks Wig-O-Matic has over one hundred of them!

The custom dialog BMP resources usually have ID numbers in the 5000 range, whereas the catalog BMPs are in the 2000 range. The 4000 range and 6000 range are for speech bubble icons, which the game can generate as needed.
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOh Peter, I have a question about those custom thumbnails!
I guess that would be better suited for the hacker's hideout, though

SAC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter9g wrote:

One note of caution...

This is true for most objects, but a few objects have dialog boxes that use custom BMP resources which you wouldn't want to delete. The SimFreaks Wig-O-Matic has over one hundred of them!

The custom dialog BMP resources usually have ID numbers in the 5000 range, whereas the catalog BMPs are in the 2000 range. The 4000 range and 6000 range are for speech bubble icons, which the game can generate as needed.

And what would this mean for someone thinking of reducing file sizes? How do I know which objects are safe to work with?
Raeven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't delete any BMP_ that are outside of the 2000, 4000 or 6000 range.
mtaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably very few objects like that; so if you have one that looks different, you could just leave it alone. The amount saved for an individual object won't matter that much, it's when you have hundreds of objects that the saving adds up.
SAC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
Don't delete any BMP_ that are outside of the 2000, 4000 or 6000 range.

Hmm, so if I get this right I can safely delete .bmp's that are numbered in the 2000, 4000 and 6000-range - as shown in mtamans tutorial? But nothing else, right?

I did notice in the tutorial that the .bmp's are referring to "speech". Does that mean when deleting those .bmp's the speech bubbles will not contain any images of the objects when my sims "talks" about them or view them?
wheatley1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAC wrote:
I did notice in the tutorial that the .bmp's are referring to "speech". Does that mean when deleting those .bmp's the speech bubbles will not contain any images of the objects when my sims "talks" about them or view them?

No. If all the Speech .bmp's are deleted the game still shows them. And if you use a vanilla game to create new .bmp's and play with the item in the game you will get new speech .bmp's as well.

Jackie
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the Keep it SIMple china shelf was a whopping 476 KB. As it's just a small single tile object with no special properties I thought that was a bit odd.
After pruning out the catalogue and speech bits then fixing the thumbnail by scrolling it through my vanilla game, it's down to just 39 kb. Seems to be okay.

I think I'm learning a lesson about cleaning up files! Thanks for this thread!
eph

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, thanks for this. :)
For weeks now I work on a reinstall anyway, unzipping, recatting etc all the objects, and by pruning them most folders go down by 10-40% in size, e.g. SecretSims is down from 85MB to 69MB.

From now on I prune all of my objects too before I upload them to my website. yes
Nana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump up an old topic, but I was just browsing through TSR's Programs section. The Iff Pencil2 link does not work. Does anyone know where else to find the program please? I am thinking about trying this tutorial out. Saving room in the game means I can add more stuff later. biggrin
Thank you for your time reading this post.

http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/savingthesims53/
http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/savingthesims54/
KarinL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one from this page (about halfway down):

http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims-programs/programs-the-sims-object-editors/

Karin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't exactly understand...
If the game generates the BMPs that I delete to make the file smaller, wouldn't the file become just as big as before when I'm running the game? (since the missing BMPs would just be generated)

Is this method only useful for saving bandwidth of the people who manage TS custom content websites?
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a great point, call it up, deleting an object's own thumbnails wouldn't do much good in the long run.

Many objects have extra, unused thumbnails, however. Maxis' counters.iff, for example, has a full set of thumbnails for 5 different counters (15 thumbnails in all). When you clone a single counter all 15 thumbnails come along for the ride.

T-moggers export the graphics, recolor them and import again. T-mog strips the old thumbnail out (so the game can generate a new, accurate one of your object) but still leaves the 4 extra, unused sets in there.

Your new object now has 12 thumbnails instead of 15 BUT they are completely useless. These are the thumbnails that should be removed.

The game will not re-generate these at all. It only created ones needed to display your one counter. And it does this when you open that section of buy mode/ build mode. In an established house that you play without mucking about in buy/build mode your unused objects would end up remaining smaller. That's not enough of a difference to go through removing thumbnails for your object, mind, but removing the extra, unused ones can gain you a nice chunk of a lot of harddrive space and give your game some breathing room.

call it up

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the explanation Raeven.
And I didn't say thanks right away to mtaman for making such a straight-forward tutorial on how to do the pruning. thumbsup
mtaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. biggrin

Granted, removing the bloat from one object won't have that much effect; but when you remove the bloat from several thousand objects it does make a difference. yes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: