Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you solve the toilet problem in your theme?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sita

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: How do you solve the toilet problem in your theme? Reply with quote

I've been reading about the development of "water closet" toilets... (yes I know I am odd :) and wondered how you all deal with toilets in the historical Sims Hoods. I know there is the old wooden commode in - was it Deluxe? and I think I used to have a Roman privy. But are there any better privies/oldfashioned toilets out there for Sims? Would it be worth making some?

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Poetica

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's always worth making more of anything... laugh

Aponeesimz has some nice bucket toilets and sinks. There are also some old style tubs.
http://aponeesimz.com/sets2.html

Gyoikoh Cherry Blossoms has a wooden toilet.
http://gyoiko.sakura.ne.jp/simpe/object/obj_plumbing_toilet.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poetica wrote:
I think it's always worth making more of anything... laugh

Agreed!

For ye olde roughing it we have your basic oubliette style hole-in-the-ground toilets as part of our Pirate Theme.
http://www.woobsha.com/theme-pirate-shipobj02.html

Actually they were made as holes in the pirate ship. We didn't want any of our inebriated corsairs loosing their grip whole hanging off the of the side of the ship, you see.

Sita

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh these are great! Thank you. I might still have a go at some, but these are more or less what I was thinking of.

PS Is there an animation for Sims 1 that shows - "that's smelly"? I can't find one....

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! they do a PU sorta thing. I think it was meant to be an interaction and then was not used (it was used in The Sims Online though) but the files are still buried in the game somewhere.
katie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came here to mention Aponee's set, which is fantastic.

But I'll add that Persimmon Grove has some "dunnies" in the New Zealand sets. They're cloned from the Sims Plus outhouse (rather than the in game porta potties, so it doesn't require HP), but considerably prettier and without the standing yuck piles behind. P Grove also has some wooden toilets, too.

Grim Sims also has a crypt bathroom set- it's a shower stall, a porta potty and a sink all done in an "abandoned building" stone. I don't know if the site's still up, though. I know at one time it wasn't.

Auri Sacre Fames (I think that's spelled right) has a privy seat, so you can build the walls around it.

I've used all of those, depending on surroundings. I've seen, but never downloaded, a "pee tree" that supposedly let both male and female sims use it as a very natural bathroom. I think it was at Simstitution, but I can't recall now- it was called the Pinkelbaum.

Still, bathing was always harder to solve than toilets in most of my themes (because showers weren't common until the 20s)- I used to try to hide bathtubs in rocks and pretend they were lakes. Kinda lame, really.
KarinL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lphntchld made a 'skinny dipping' pool that is basically a bathtub to match the pool water, with rocks around it - it's still available at a Yahoo group. There's also a waterfall shower.

Additions has a file called pipi.iff - a urinal-based little puddle for male sims only... :)

I have a toilet somewhere in the shape of a bush, but I can't recall where I got that...

I'm sorry, I don't have URL's at the moment - if/when I find them, I'll be back to add them.

For showers, I usually hide Wilf's beach shower somewhere among trees and groundcover.

Karin
dmeh57

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going here for the pool shower and tub http://tfst.thefantasimtales.us/home.html and the tolit in the trees.
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katie wrote:
Still, bathing was always harder to solve than toilets in most of my themes (because showers weren't common until the 20s)- I used to try to hide bathtubs in rocks and pretend they were lakes. Kinda lame, really.

Our solution (pirates again) for that was to make a booth that sims can freshen up in. It's a shower/dresser combination. All water sounds have been removed (though I left scrubbing noises in for shuffling and.. scrubbing I guess). Sims pop in and come out with higher hygiene without a "shower". They get a small hygiene boost is it's used to change clothing as well and if the toilet's int he same room they pop in for a quick freshen up (in place of washing hands in a sink).

it does mean they still take time out to get themselves cleaned up when they should not actually be worried about such thngs are all but considering they don't have any barnacles to scrape or any other authentic tasks to fill their day I figured it evens out a bit.

What I'd REALLY like to offer is a Themes controller that, in these cases, would keep the sim's hygiene raised.

Being uncomfortable with being dirty is actually just a way of thinking. or (to phrase it more simmsy) Hygiene being a Need of Motivating facor is cultural. For cultures where hygiene is not terribly important I'm very comfortable with use a motive cheat to eliminate that useless need.

Showers and Cleanliness is what I got started thinking about a Theme Controller but it'd be great if it did other things. Once I started trying to figure out what those other things are (swapping mailboxes and trashcan out, swapping mail carrier etc out) it all became rather involved. I realized that I would end up constantly thinking of something new it should do and wanting to update it and that's a bother for everyone concerned.

Sita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from what I am reading bathing was something most people never did - at least in England. There is an entry in Pepys' Diary where he mentions that his wife had a bath "this year" - and swears she will be much cleaner in future.

(I should look the date up, will edit later).

But there are some nice antique baths, the shapes of course arae different from our simple Sims shapes. I will do some when I figure out Z buffers - anyone know of a really simple tutorial on those? Also some showers that were really just large bowls you stood in with a watertank above. All these go back a long way further than the toilets.

On toilets I suspect most people "went" in the bushes - or rather behind the bushes. Until they moved into towns. I used to have that bush too :(

Oh but we went to Yorvik once and they had a pit-toilet or midden - that is Viking period. Fairly deep hole. I think that worked as a board or pole propped across the top of a hole, chuck earth in after and it wouldn't smell too bad. And archaeology suggests those were relatively common in villages - would also serve as a rubbish dump so you would chuck in all the shellfish shells, bits of fabric, whatever, till it was full, cover over and start a new one.

The pirate toilets, by the way - they are great but they puzzle me. It's a slatted board across with a seat-hole - where would the - censored - land? on the floor? I think in a pirate ship they might just have a hole or bucket underneath to catch it? Looks as if it might just fall through to the floor. Sorry, this is a perfectionist thought. smart They are still fantastic objects.

That PU yuck animation - how would I search for it? I don't really know my way around Sims files very well.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sita wrote:
Well from what I am reading bathing was something most people never did - at least in England. There is an entry in Pepys' Diary where he mentions that his wife had a bath "this year" - and swears she will be much cleaner in future.

It is my understanding that, for much of history (I'm talking Middle-Age-ish) people didn't bathe because only dirty people bathed.

Raeven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think in a pirate ship they might just have a hole or bucket underneath to catch it?

I don't imagine they would bother with buckets which would need tending to afterward. On ships they hung over the side. There is mention of the occasional hole built through the ship (set to the front of the ship) but it was a novelty enough to be mentioned at all. It seems like such a thing would cause drag and I can't imagine that would be worth not hanging off of the side of the ship.

Quote:
Looks as if it might just fall through to the floor. Sorry, this is a perfectionist thought.

There is a huge hole in the floor below the seat that you seem to have missed:)

I did add the Persimmon Grove seat in which would not have been there and the hole in the floor was probably much smaller but on the whole (no pun intended) I'm not as 'unperfectionist' as people usually think rolleyes

ruthml

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a potty bush based that looks like the hawthorne bush - Synchronicity Sims??? I think is where it came from. I also have Lphnt's go in the bushes and that looks like a pine tree with a little roll of toilet paper sticking out.

Do male sims only use the urinal? I've been thinking about making a "wee tree" and I've just realised I have never used the urinal in game at all... I don't even know if it clogs up or needs cleaning...

Sita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't there a fire hydrant that male sims and dogs could pee on at C&C? that couold convert to a tree pretty easily I think?

I will follow up all these, thank you all for the help! My mediaeval Sims hood will be a much cleaner place :)

ruthml

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh thanks Sita, C&C permit cloning, so I'll go and check it out. I really like the Lphnts Trunk skinny dipping pool (and the waterfall shower) but I have a major gripe.... it really needs to be made "no shoo".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: