Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to put the cheap sink on top of a dishwasher
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simshark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: I want to put the cheap sink on top of a dishwasher Reply with quote

I am trying to take off the "must be placed on counter" restriction off of a sink. I have tried a few things in IFF pencil, but it is just hacking around in the dark.

Is it the height flags? :dontgetit

want to:
put the cheap sink on top of a dishwasher or a trash compactor

http://simslevittown.bravehost.com/
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, It's in placment flags. Somewhere. Placement flags are defined in an int creation BHAV (sorry, I am a Ruby programmer too and I don't really know the simming for them. Just know that it is initicialized on object creation).

I really can't be more helpful than that. I don't mess them that much myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The height flag rule is one of the placement rules dictated in the init.

Sinks want to go into height "5" and you'd need to change it to go into a height 4 (8193:3) for the dishwasher (I think. I have not actually tested this but I think I remember that being the "Container Slot 0" in a dishwasher)

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
The height flag rule is one of the placement rules dictated in the init.

The height flag is a placement flag? I never would have guesed. Well, I don't mess with them that often whistle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope it's one of the placement rules . Whenever anyone is dealing wiht where/how an object may or mayboe be placed the init is the first place to look. The height flags lines are one of the ones found wihtin along with the ones you are thinking of as placement flags.

I'm not a programmer at all so I'm not positive which those would be but I assumed you were thinking of the water/pool/slopes type lines.

KarinL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if I wanted to place a sink on top of an appliance, I think I'd just place an invisible counter over the appliance and put the sink on/in that... :)

But it does sound like an interesting project. I was wondering whether I coul change the colonial teaset to go on a coffee table, and I guess that would be a similar 'operation'...
It annoys me that I can't have the teaset or 'working' coffee or tea cups on the coffee table... :)

Karin
simshark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: it worked, Raeven! Reply with quote

the first time I did something wrong and I got a sink you could only place on the floor (interesting possibilities... puddles you can wash your hands in!)
Second time I took a close look at the height settings of the due bills. I now have a sink that can be placed with total freedom thumbsup

Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tea set (and similar items) they were kept at counter height because of the animations which are made to reach for things at counter height.
simshark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that the sink is taken care of -another issue that if I can get an answer here I will not have to spend 3 hours figuring it out myself...

I was fooling around with a sink, trying to make it more appealing to wash dishes in than the dishwasher appiance itself. I changed the wash dish value to 140, but the sims still use the dishwasher (washdish value 100) first (?)
I know I saw this in a tutorial somewhere.... I'm off to check SSOW

weckar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose a fake social/hunger value would take care of that. atleast that's what my sims always look for. Wait, is there even a thing as a social rating?
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You set the initial function value which was definitely needed. thumbsup
There's probably also another BHAV resetting it though. Lots of objects have this sort of thing for a variety of reasons.

Stoves, for instance, have one that randomly raise or lower the "cooking" function value so that sometimes your sim will use the microwave instead if there is one.

Dining tables drop the "eating surface" value if a chair's not facing them (which I find incredibly cool).

The sink might lower the "dish washing" and "hand washing" values when the sink is in use, raising it again afterward. If this is the case you'll need to make sure it raises it back to 140.

Quote:
I suppose a fake social/hunger value would take care of that. atleast that's what my sims always look for. Wait, is there even a thing as a social rating?

yep there sure is.

This technique would certainly get the Sims to use the sink but it would encourage them to use it at the wrong times and would interfere with them actually eating when they are hungry (or interacting when social is low). Lying (to the Sims) about what an object is actually used for can be a little tricky at times.

simshark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok -found where it was raising it only back to 30 (cheapsink dishwash value)
wondering what else I can do with this new knowledge...it IS very interesting lab

btw, the new "trapdoor" sink even works on coffee tables!

simshark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. This next question is of huge proportions, and I will understand if it cannot be answered:
Is there a way to combine the two objects (my new trapdoor sink and trash compactor)into one object using a master OBJD? I have been reading this page:
http://www.angelfire.com/retro/vinylp_ants/Stuff.html
just trying to comprehend what the limitations are. I finally realized (I think) that he is not saying two independent objects can be combined into one (one tiled) object. question

Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A master OBJD is required for multi-tiled objects. Those multiple tiles CAN exist on the same tile if the init allows at least one of them to intersect with other objects.

In this case you might better off making a single tiled object and combining the coding from both objects. This does mean getting to know both objects intimately since you'll end up having to write bits of one of the objects to avoid conflicts.

For example if the Sink uses Attribute 0 to store what type it is (counter or pedestal sink) and the Trash compactor uses Attribute 0 to store how full (of trash) it is then you'll need to change one of those to an unused attribute.

BCONS, STR# ids (animation, props, dialog boxes, Run Tree by Name, etc) BHAV ids, FWAVs ... just about everything has to be checked for conflicting ids. With some objects you might also need to make a custom SLOT resource and if your sink and trash compactor are animated in separate ways you'll need to rewrite the "update graphics" BHAV (which may not be named that).

simshark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yiiii, it sounds endless.... I think I will take all the time it would take me to figure it out, and spend it to the graphics instead (something I can SEE, yay)

One more thing (there's always one more thing!):
Is it the call "not slot zero exclusive" that would make a sim able to prepare food on top of the new trapdoor sink? thanks in advance

btw, here is what I am trying to build!
http://server1.fandm.edu/levittown/images/lg_jpegs/GE-ad.jpg

and my rendition of it so far:

[/img]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: