Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spooky Bookcase Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
goodjob Great job, Sam, Good choices for "clutter" on the shelves!

Quote:
I did not edit the sprites, I edited the picture that TheIms3 had in with her file.

Cool! cool When you draw pictures of the final product before making the thing it's called "concept art".

If this is something you were doing as a job you would then show the concept art to your client so they can see if they like it and tell you to go ahead and build/do it.
drawingboard
In simming concept art can help YOU instead and your bookcase is a fabulous example of that.

In recoloring, as you know, you keep the original shape of your base and paint anything you like inside of the lines.
This, however, time you are changing the shape. We can see this easily from the concept art that you made:The Pumpkin shape, the gate along the top, the raven and a few big ole spider legs stick out past the original shape of the bookcase.

question Now you can figure out which T-mog settings will work best when you export the sprites from the iff Kim gave us. Without concept art you might have exported using the wrong settings for this project. In this case you'll want to UNCHECK "just change colors when you export sprites.

I remember in another thread that you mentioned you are new to making whole new objects. Unchecking "Just Change Colors" is the first big step in that direction. You'll see it unlocks a lot of T-mog options.

Those options are all about deciding which Alpha Channels (called "As") and Z buffers (Called "Zs") you want T-mog to make and which you want to make yourself.
For now it's best to let T-mog make all of them and you can concentrating on designing the P sprite AND learning GIMP.

read Learning new graphics programs can be a lot of learning. Once you have learned it you can always come back and fix these A's and Zs if you don't like the way Tmog did it. Here's a picture of the Settings I think would be good to use.

Thanks Raeven! I got it into my game!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous!

I found adding things to shelves pretty fun. TheIms3 has a couple more bookshelf bases here ar Siblesse Oblige. Those are not sppoky, they are sorta swanky. They match the monticello windows (thosetal ones wiht the rounded top). She did made one in white like the windows and another in brown (wood). She also made wood windows to match.

They are the first two things listed in the first post of this "Free Object Bases" Thread:
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=32

KarinL

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved all of these book cases. One big spooky library... I just downloaded the lot - thanks to everyone who made theirs available, I love them ALL.

I even downloaded the base just in case I get the courage... LOL!! I only have about 10 days of Adobe trial left and haven't had a chance to do a thing with it yet. :(

Karin
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the adobe runs out, download Gimp for free.
http://www.gimp.org/

Trust me, the bookcase was surprisingly easy. I'm very impatient and graphically challenged and I found it fairly easy to do and very rewarding.
KarinL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's like six months or so later, but I finally did one. :) :)

It's not really imaginative or interesting, but it's the best I can do in this stage of my 'carreer'. :) It looks better in the game than on the screen, though...

Karin
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Nice work! smile
patos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed.
Wow!

KarinL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mars & Patos! I had a really good time making this. I had a hard time with the bottom shelf, but it actually got easier when I'd placed the first few items... :)
In fact, I'm surprised how easy it was once I got the 'hang' of it. :)

Karin
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarinL wrote:
Thank you, Mars & Patos! I had a really good time making this. I had a hard time with the bottom shelf, but it actually got easier when I'd placed the first few items... :)
In fact, I'm surprised how easy it was once I got the 'hang' of it. :)

Karin

Very nice, and far better than anything I could make.

You're a perfect example of how wise we were when we decided that all our challenges should go on forever! thumbsup

mtaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Karin.

This is a good project for getting used to working with a graphics program that has layers.
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! Say! I missed that last entry last year!
That looks great, Karin. Did you ever make the object available for download? I'd love to have it.

ruthml

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen this too. Good job! thumbsup I'm so glad to see you messing around with graphics - it's so satisfying!

I'm glad these challenges are open ended - it's really cool to discover someone has gone back to one monthsl later.

ess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Karin, I am only 2 years behind! laugh Yes, that's right, folks, I have finally made my spooky bookcase. I don't know why I put it off for so long; one of those "oh I'll do it tomorrow" kind of things. Here's the graphics, I'll add it to the Special and Fancy section once it's completed:
ruthml

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that turned out wonderfully! I really like the red glass panels. thumbsup

KarinL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, Ess. I love the red glass.

I agree that it's great to leave these 'creating' challenges up forever. I'll be downloading Ess' version as soon as it's available. yes

I still have mine, I don't think I ever put it up here.

Maybe I should try the market cart - I think I understand a bit more about two-tile object now, and I've been meaning to get back to teaching myself to work with the Gimp...

Karin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: