Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extracting skins and animations from .far files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarinL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Extracting skins and animations from .far files Reply with quote

I have a problem that I think is more 'skin' related than 'hacking' related, but actually I guess it's neither.

I tried to extract accessory files from the 'animation.far' so I could use them in the game with a new name and new texture.
However, when I try to read the bmf file using a text editor, it doesn't look like a skin file at all.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here - how do I convert bcf and bmf files to cmx and skn files without messing up the data?

At the moment I have the animations on my desktop as bcf and bmf and I can only open them with hex edit.
Since I had the same problem in the past when I tried to extract meshes from .far files I figured this was probably the place to ask... :)

To be precise, in case it matters, it's the baby and bottle graphics. I want to have a specific re-textured baby attached to a specific buyable cradle. I think I understand how to do it. I think I can probably even manage to write a new .cmx file - but what do I do with the bmf file to make it into a useable skin that the game can read?

Karin
ruthml

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With FarOut (from Paladin's Place) you can extract bmf files and convert them to *.skn files.

can you use that program on a Mac? That would be the way to go if you can use it.

Or else someone else could upload what you need. what are the names of each bmf? I could extract them for you.

KarinL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ruth!
I can't use it on my Mac itself, but I now have a virtual PC with XP. (Thank you, Santa! LOL!) I can't get Tmog installed on it but FarOut seems to work. Maybe IffPencil, too, which would be a big help in translating instructions from Pencil to Snooper...

Now I need to experiment a bit with the cmx and skin files to see whether I can make them work for Mac.
I need the skin file out of the far because they do have a reference to the bmp in them and that needs to be changed, I think.

Karin
ruthml

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, you need the baby's *.skn file then (once you convert it from the bmf file). Inside the skn file on the 2nd line, that will have the name of the bmp.

mtaman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farout has an option to extract and convert a bmf to a regular skn. You can also see the name of the bmp if you look at the window on the right if you have the xskin highlighted.
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(A bit late now but figured I'd mention for future reference)

I have found that MAxis' fars have the SKN files in both BMF form and in SKN form. I am not sure why they have them in there 2 times but extracting just the SKN (version) without the BMF (verson) works just fine.

Sometimes you'll find the CMXs in both forms as well (CMX and BCF) but that seems to be something they stopped doing and now I usually just find BCF versions which I need to convert (or make the CMX from scratch)

Andrasta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Extracting skins and animations from .far files Reply with quote

KarinL wrote:
I tried to extract accessory files from the 'animation.far' so I could use them in the game with a new name and new texture.

A somewhat stupid question but simple to answer, I hope:

Where do I find the "animations.far" in Maxis directory?
My search was without success huh

I just want to load the anims in Simpose to have a look at them, if that is possible.

purplewowies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's animation.far in the Animation folder under GameData.
Andrasta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear there is no file or folder called "Animation" or similar in my "Game Data" folder - where else could it be? Does it depend on which expansions one has?
purplewowies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What expansions do you have? I have all of them... :-/
Andrasta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All except Superstar; single expansions, not Complete Collection.
purplewowies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you have no Animation (or maybe Animations) folder in your GameData? I just went on a small research spree, and from what I've found, it seems to always be there, even pre-HD, in the same place, and it's said that anyone who has the Sims should have that file... jfade's psycho It comes with the original game and apparently has both animations and meshes and stuff in it.

And to be clear, you're on Windows, right? (I thought Simpose was Windows-only. jfade's psycho )
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone should have a \GameData\Animation\ folder with Animation.far in it. In some configurations this far may be unpacked as loose files.
Andrasta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no "animation(s)" folder or file.
I have lots of "CMX" folders, could it be that ones?

purplewowies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What folders DO you have in GameData, besides the CMX ones?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: