Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptian Women's Skins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> If you've been with us this far...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thalia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank you. I started in on the men's loincloth/kilt a while back but ran into a couple of odd mapping problems I guess you'd call it, in the way the patterns were warping/stretching around so they needed a bit of tweaking.

Then real life interfered (pesky thing) and I'm only getting back to this fun stuff now. Also, I have the attention span of a gnat and instead of working on the Egyptian stuff (I also need to finish tweaking the headbands that everyone here was so gracious to help me with) I started in on some Minoan dresses (using another one of Jerome's meshes). I guess I'm on a bronze age kick.

I have this crazy fantasy of making the Labyrinth at Knossos, that huge palace/temple complex. Ooooooo!! That would be SO cool!

(Edited because it's Jerome, not Jeremy!)

Last edited by Thalia on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
mtaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you will have to have the Temple of Knossos walls and column from http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bag_of_tricks/ Files > The Ancient World > Temple of Knossos
Thalia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very lovely. Those are Ruth's, right?

Here's my first try at a Minoan outfit. I originally did it in the more common style, i.e., with the bosom bare, but, since this is a family site and I wanted to share it, I threw in a little blouse, which is perfectly authentic too, just not the usual. Personally I found it rather distracting. Though none of the Sims seemed to take any notice. They're so free and comfortable in their skins, aren't they?

The head uses one of Kinako's meshes at maru. As far as I can tell, it looks like it's okay to redistribute the mesh with credit to her/him. So here's the zip for that, too, with his/her .cmx and .skn, with my .bmp.

The mesh (for the dress) is one of Jerome's, bj05_dress4nosleeves, found here (page 6 of the women's dresses).
ruthml

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is lovely! and I love the detail of the face paint decoration on the head bmp. You are a great skinner. :) Are you sure you haven't been doing this for ages?? biggrin

Thalia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ruth. Technically the face paint is Mycenaean, but, close enough.

I suppose, as far as the art part of this stuff goes, actually, I have been doing it for ages. The computer end of things, and learning what works and doesn't, though, that's new.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thalia wrote:
Here's my first try at a Minoan outfit. I originally did it in the more common style, i.e., with the bosom bare, but, since this is a family site and I wanted to share it, I threw in a little blouse, which is perfectly authentic too, just not the usual. Personally I found it rather distracting.

OMG, you don't know it, but you just made a very lovely Khiret Akaren woman here...my future sim Nelan Jalaesa a'Karijhe, in fact!

Thank you! biggrin

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Thalia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well, glad to help, then. :)
Thalia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's another batch. Two more dresses with variations for light and medium skins (and a variation of the first dress for medium), plus a medium head. The middle one's bodice is based off the famous fresco called La Parisienne, (about halfway down the page if you're interested in looking at the original) because she looks so stylish.

ETA: I re-uploaded the skins with the sleeves tweaked; the zip now includes all six versions of the dress and the mesh for the dress, as well as both head bmps and the head mesh.

Last edited by Thalia on Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Yersinia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surprise OMG!!!!! drool clap

I totally love these! My sims Kosa, Aelie and Meheh are all getting new dresses as soon as I go back to their village -- and now I have perfect dresses for when I make Jola and Alaqel too!

notworthy thanks1 best

~Yersinia.

ruthml

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are absolutely gorgeous, the colours are soft yet rich. Love 'em!!

Yersinia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thalia wrote:
The mesh (for the dress) is one of Jerome's, bj05_dress4nosleeves, found here (page 6 of the women's dresses).

Oh, OK, yeah that was my "problem"-- I originally didn't see this. . . . .

When I downloaded the first Minoan skin, not being "ready" for a Skins Processing session yet, I simply stashed the zip in the appropriate folder for safekeeping until I'm ready...then last night I downloaded the other five, and since I did have to open up a few other skin zips too, I decided to "do" the Minoan ones as well -- and saw only BMPs, no dress mesh, and no mention of what the mesh was, other than that it's by Jerome, in the ReadMe!

So now, I come back here for the mesh hunt, get the above link, and it's taken me 45 minutes to get the mesh: until now I kept getting "Failed to Open Page."

.....if I may be so bold as to suggest it...

1. Unless you're skinning with Maxis meshes which are already in people's games, please, oh please include the meshes with your zips. Even at best, a "mesh hunt" is no fun at all. And one of these days, someone on a mesh hunt will find the site is gone, for good, and may never be able to get the mesh.

2. If it's "not allowed" for you to include certain meshes when you offer up your skins for downloading, perhaps you could consider the idea of only making skins on those meshes for your own game, and only make skins to give out with Maxis meshes, and custom meshes you are "allowed" to include with your zips. (*more "in general" on this to follow shortly)

As to Jerome's mesh for these Minoan dresses, when I finally made it to the site, in addition to downloading the mesh I need for the dresses, I checked his FAQ to find out his views about distributing his meshes, and got this:

"Can I use your meshes on my site?
Yes you can. When posting your skins using my meshes, I like you to link back to my site. Only a textlink to http://jerome.simfreaks.com/ and add the jReadme.txt file in your ZIP file is enough. A banner is not needed. If posting my E-Mail address, please use jerome@simfreaks.com."

So if it's OK with him if skinners to post his meshes on their websites, sounds to me like it's OK for you to include them with the zips (with the appropriate ReadMe). For future downloaders, maybe you could please update the Minoan dress zips to include the meshes, then?

*On this subject in general -- even though I'm not and will never be a skinner, since I occasionally hack objects, there are distribution issues to be dealt with there, too, so I actually can at least understand why you would have originally chosen to go with the "conservative approach" not to put the mesh in the zip along with the skins.

My own approach is probably more conservative than yours: For exclusive use in my own game, I do what I please, when I please, with whatever I please, but if my hacked object isn't made up of all Maxis ingredients, I don't offer it to others, because IMO, searching through post upon post, in forum upon forum, for all the creators' differing redistribution policies (I've occasionally read some of those areas in forums, including here at SO), is even worse than a mesh hunt! And then trying to remember them all, what a nightmare! I do my tweaking occasionally and spontaneously, so it's entirely possible that I have read a particular creator's policy at some point, but by the time I'm actually playing around with their objects, I don't remember whether they'd allow me to share the end result (and under what conditions), so I'd have to go searching out their policy again. So that's why, when I hack my downloads, I have that "not to be shared, period!" policy. For me it's easier just to keep these hacks exclusively for my own game (even though I always credit the original creator in the Buy Mode descriptions) although it occurs to me that some other Simmers would really enjoy having some of them if only I was willing to jump through the permission hoops to upload them. If that makes me "selfish," so be it, but apparently "stealing" is a worse sin than "selfishness," and I'm not quite ready to be drummed out of the Sims community yet. laugh

But what the other Simmers don't see, they won't miss, either -- which is where the suggestion you only use non-distributable meshes for your own personal game skins comes from.

Which reminds me...maybe I better go to the the policies area soon -- to post my "do whatever the hell you want with my stuff as long as you distribute it for free" policy for the few shareable objects I do make (all available right here at Simblesse Oblige: so far they consist of a few hacked end tables which act as counters, plus a hacked litterbox dogs can use).

~Yersinia.

Thalia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! Sorry about that, Yersinia. I'll include the meshes in the zip from now on. Since I'm intending to distribute these, I'm only using meshes that allow it anyway.

At any rate I noticed that one of the sleeves is slightly shorter than the other on these dresses (probably not that any one else would notice, but it is bugging me), so I was going to tweak it and re-upload it anyway. When I do that I'll put the mesh with it.

And you're right, Sims sites do tend to vanish.
    Yersinia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thalia wrote:
    Oh no! Sorry about that, Yersinia. I'll include the meshes in the zip from now on. Since I'm intending to distribute these, I'm only using meshes that allow it anyway.

OK, sounds great -- and thank you! I'm sure the other downloaders will appreciate that as much as I do. smile

Quote:
    At any rate I noticed that one of the sleeves is slightly shorter than the other on these dresses (probably not that any one else would notice, but it is bugging me), so I was going to tweak it and re-upload it anyway. When I do that I'll put the mesh with it.

Hmmm, OK, I'll hold off on actual installation and wait for the "new and improved" versions. Cool beans!

Quote:
    And you're right, Sims sites do tend to vanish.

This really stinks, doesn't it? sad

~Yersinia.

Thalia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, "new and improved" versions uploaded above; everything in one package (six dress bmps, two head bmps, the dress mesh and the head mesh).
    Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thalia wrote:
    Okay, "new and improved" versions uploaded above; everything in one package (six dress bmps, two head bmps, the dress mesh and the head mesh).

WOO-HOO! I got 'em just now, and decided to open the zip right away...

And they're MAC FRIENDLY, TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin

thanks1 best jump clap

THANK YOU SO MUCH, THALIA!!! hug

~Yersinia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> If you've been with us this far... All times are GMT
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Page 2 of 3

Jump to: