Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farming Sims rejoice! Grindstone & Wheat Crop FINISHED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> If you've been with us this far...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siyankan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruthml wrote:
Abimelech? Whoa you keep us on our toes here - had to google that one and aha, obscure OT bad king who got a millstone thrown at him in a battle.

(Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to kill the burglar? And still collect the reward? )

He wasn't exactly a king, though he tried to set himself up as one and got a few cities to follow him. The "woman with the millstone" reference is relatively famous, though not on a Joshua-and-Jericho scale.

As for killing the burglar, it's probably possible to do so, but unfortunately I doubt you'd get a reward from it. It's a matter of taking that two-second window between his appearance and Buy Mode becoming disabled to move_objects, trap him in a room, put him by something flammable, etc., and then going to with the usual Sim-killing exercises.

Or getting a large millstone and a very unhappy matroness on the second floor, of course... wink

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 2000 years, and there are still men who'd think being killed by a woman they'd attacked would be a stain on their honour. tongue
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing the burglar? Didn't either Patty or Blue do that? Was it in Patty's sTory?
Siyankan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
Over 2000 years, and there are still men who'd think being killed by a woman they'd attacked would be a stain on their honour. tongue

It wasn't that he was killed by a woman he'd attacked - it's that some chump noncombatant tossing a rock managed to kill him, instead of someone with a large pointy object. Admittedly, the fact that it was a woman was salt in the wound (women weren't trained in self-defense, much less in war, and tended to be weaker to boot), but overall it was sort of The Mouse that Roared all over again.

As an aside, the detail monger in my head has passed a note that it was more like 3,000 years. He likes inconsequential details.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then he called hastily unto the young man his armourbearer, and said unto him, Draw thy sword, and slay me, that men say not of me, A women slew him. And his young man thrust him through, and he died.

Judges 9:54 (King James version)

I'll concede the time. 3000 years is over 2000 years, and I wasn't looking to be precise.

Siyankan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
Quote:
Then he called hastily unto the young man his armourbearer, and said unto him, Draw thy sword, and slay me, that men say not of me, A women slew him. And his young man thrust him through, and he died.

Judges 9:54 (King James version)

I'll concede the time. 3000 years is over 2000 years, and I wasn't looking to be precise.

Oh, I know what it says. I was just going into the logic behind it (not that Abimelech was astoundingly logical...) and trying to avoid the "men thought women were innately inferior" myth that our own century seems to be so fond of. O:)

As to the time: I know, and it doesn't matter an awful much. I just can't convince my internal detail monger that this is true.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, I know what it says. I was just going into the logic behind it (not that Abimelech was astoundingly logical...) and trying to avoid the "men thought women were innately inferior" myth that our own century seems to be so fond of. O:)

Let me get this straight. The text, in several translations from the Hebrew, explicitly says that Abimelech was afraid that people would know that he had been killed by a woman.

And you want to rewrite the meaning of the original text, because you think it's a myth that women, for most of recorded history, have been regarded as inferior, or at least easily dominated, by men? floorlaugh

Siyankan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly. I was going into why being killed by a woman would be such a disgrace.

And, for the record, "inferior" and "easily dominated" are two very different things. It's pretty easy to make my niece do what I want her to; that doesn't mean her intrinsic value is any less, nor does it mean that I think it so.

It's just that I hear lots of silliness in my profession about the place of women before the 1900s, most of which makes it sound like women were placed on the same level as cattle. Admittedly individuals have thought so, and more perhaps at one time than another, but such men generally have the same view of their servants and peers. The traditional Western ideal, though very different from the modern West's, was much more even handed.

However, 1) explaining that last statement would take a book-length essay, and 2) if I hijack one more thread, someone is going to behead me, so we should probably steer things back toward the millstone and away from Abimelech.

(For the record, of course, Abimelech did consider everyone around him to be on about the level of cattle. He wasn't a very pleasant man.)

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that we have to stop the hijacking. And hope that ruth will forgive us. smile
Siyankan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any atonement, Old Sela and Esmerelda Fyxen send their thanks, as does Ambrose Mellus. They've hated having to buy baking mix all this time (and Esmerelda just likes to grow things).
ruthml

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no! I'm the one that had to google Abilemech and mention it!

So the thread hijacking was entirely my doing!

(I'll see your Abilemech and raise you one Ashurbanipal!!) laugh

Siyankan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, please don't start, Ruth! I'd have to raise you Alcibades!
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't start. I'm far more familiar with Alcibiades and Ashurbanipal than I am with Abimelech..................... tongue
Sita

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: just reading through this thread which I had missed.... Reply with quote

laugh

You are all so funny! Lovely reading about the old guys again.... thread hijacking seems to be a popular sport around here, and I am definitely NOT complaining, specially if it comes out of wonderful objects like these! thumbsup

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hideon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooow, so fantastic clap jump clap
Thank you very much for making and sharing thanks2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> If you've been with us this far... All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: