Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you solve the toilet problem in your theme?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atuhk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blush
heyy,, that guy on the mat looks a lot like me,,, somebody throw him a blanket!
laugh (well, looks like my avatar)

kidding aside, that's a pretty cool idea, and a very realistic simulation.
Aaron_of_Mpls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruthml wrote:
the invisible single bed over a rug is a neat idea - it looks very effective for your cave man sim. (it is a caveman, isn't it?)

What comfort does it give?

He's a barbarian, actually, but I have a few cave families sleeping that way too.

Comfort and energy should be the same as the cheap single bed, since it's made from that.

Atuhk wrote:
blush
heyy,, that guy on the mat looks a lot like me,,, somebody throw him a blanket!
laugh (well, looks like my avatar)

kidding aside, that's a pretty cool idea, and a very realistic simulation.

He he he... smile

Thanks for the comments, both of you. It's the next thing I'll add to my site; I just need to take a pic of a sim using it without a rug.

Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron_of_Mpls wrote:
Comfort and energy should be the same as the cheap single bed, since it's made from that.

If by "cheap single bed," you mean the Spartan bed, IMO comfort and energy levels could use a bit of improvement. So, if you want to make it a little better, go to BCON 4096 and tweak up the numbers for constant 6 (comfort) and constant 5 (energy) a bit.

smile

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
ruthml

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Yersinia, if you ever wanted to share your invisible bed, pls improve the comfort/energy a bit! The cheap bed is pitiful!

Aaron_of_Mpls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concern noted. I might as well make a more energizing version, especially now that I've found the bed editing tutorial at SomeSimThings. I'm keeping the original around, though, since sleeping on the floor or the ground isn't always very comfortable. smile
ruthml

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see your point too. From a realistic gameplay perspective... hmm sleeping on a mat on the ground wouldn't be so comfortable as a bed....
Oh that's a hard call! Perhaps don't listen to us and go ahead and do your own thing :0 whistle

Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruthml wrote:
Oh I see your point too. From a realistic gameplay perspective... hmm sleeping on a mat on the ground wouldn't be so comfortable as a bed....
Oh that's a hard call! Perhaps don't listen to us and go ahead and do your own thing :0 whistle

1. How about from the sim's perspective? A barbarian or caveman has no reference point from which to compare -- he or she wouldn't know how comfortable a modern bed is or "should" be. For him or her, that mat on the ground could well be total heaven.

wink

2. That said, tweaking up those numbers a bit doesn't have to mean maxing them totally, either. I'm sure Aaron will figure it out. And once he does, I'll probably want to download it. laugh

smile

~Yersinia.

Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While working on my sleeping mat I adjusted the comfort by interest in outdoors (figuring campers would be the only modern folks to use it) but in general I made it higher than a cheap bed for practical reasons. Slow energy gain means more time in bed and that did not suit the other themes I was hoping to make the object for (pirates, tribal and Ye Olde Everybody)
Aaron_of_Mpls

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
While working on my sleeping mat I adjusted the comfort by interest in outdoors (figuring campers would be the only modern folks to use it) but in general I made it higher than a cheap bed for practical reasons. Slow energy gain means more time in bed and that did not suit the other themes I was hoping to make the object for (pirates, tribal and Ye Olde Everybody)

Maybe I'll do something like that. After all, I tend to give my more primitive sims high Outdoors interest anyway. smile

What numbers did you use, BTW?

Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, don't remember 100% ( I'll look for the object later to make sure coffee ) but I usually use 6 and higher as "a high interest" and 8-10 for "obsessed by".

For the mat, though I may have used the TV (*) as a model and made the comfort level scale with the outdoor interest. I've done that a few times but I fully understand what's happening in that code so I'm never completely comfortable using it.

(* TVs scale the fun a person is having watching that particular channel by their personality. The less nice points a sim has, the more they like horror channel)

Aaron_of_Mpls

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what numbers you'd edit in which resource(s) to do that. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Funny, I didn't think we'd stay off-topic this long. smile

Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see - I did not realize you were asking for a full on tutorial for it.
I've not got one on hand, I'm afraid but the gist of it is to insert a line in the BHAV before your motive adjustments that checks the condition you want to check. In this case the condition is their outdoors interest.
The attached picture shows the numbers needed for that line. The True and False lines lead to the two different motive adjustment lines.

If you prefer something else to outdoors interest you cane find values for those in the Hackers Reference Charts thread
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?p=3341#3341
Scroll up to the Operators chart if you'd rather use something other then "greater than"

That's with the simpler method I mentioned.
With the scaling method you'd need to study BHAVs in TVs to see how they handle it.

Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture

IP2-IsOutdoorsGreaterthan60.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.53 KB
 Viewed:  6419 Time(s)

IP2-IsOutdoorsGreaterthan60.png

Aaron_of_Mpls

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll probably try it out eventually, as I learn more about object hacking in general. (My experience is limited and somewhat specific, with much copied from references -- kinda reminds me of when I was figuring out basic HTML all those years ago and had to always look up the codes. smile)

Anyway, back to the bathroom-related stuff -- as I more-or-less said before, I didn't think we'd stay off topic for quite this many posts. smile

Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron_of_Mpls wrote:
Thanks. I'll probably try it out eventually, as I learn more about object hacking in general. (My experience is limited and somewhat specific, with much copied from references -- kinda reminds me of when I was figuring out basic HTML all those years ago and had to always look up the codes. smile)

Sims College (located at Secret Society of the Woobsha: www.woobsha.com ) is a really good place to go learn about hacking, because that's where you can learn not only just the "how do you make the object do or be something in particular?" such as command the interest of sims, or fulfill needs (as compared to other tutorials which show you how to make the object do one specific thing) but it teaches you the basic fundamentals of object hacking, which you can use, once you assimilate them (this is the hard part, yes!), to figure out how to do other stuff. smile

Quote:
Anyway, back to the bathroom-related stuff -- as I more-or-less said before, I didn't think we'd stay off topic for quite this many posts. smile

It's an observation of mine that about half of the threads started at Simblesse Oblige eventually turn into some kind of hacking or other creation-technique "lesson," brainstorming session or whatever, if the conversations go on for long enough. My suggestion: get used to it! laugh

But OK, back to the potty discussion:

Lucky for me, "regular" toilets whose only special quality was "no shoo" worked in my theme game...up until I decided to have a pair of those sims spend a couple weeks camping in the woods for a gameplay challenge at another forum. Believe it or not, when I first decided this, I didn't know anyone had already made any kind of "potty bush," and I was trying to make one -- well two actually (more in a moment). I was about three or four unsuccessful attempts in on the first one when this thread was first opened, actually...and then I found out about your potty bush -- which was almost exactly on the lines of my own first one (I had picked different bush graphics -- but that would have been the only difference between yours and what I was trying to make). So I got lazy, scrapped that one of mine, and downloaded yours. It worked beautifully, thank you. The other one, well, I couldn't get it done in time for the challenge so I put it aside to work on another time, but I'd like to eventually finish it (plus make one more toileting object), only this time for an urban setting...it's kind of sleazy actually. laugh

Anyway, what kinds of toilets do we actually need for themes, anyway? Regular bathroom toilets (the Maxis ones, plus recolored and/or hacked ones out there for the downloading) work for contemporary themes (and some futuristic ones). Outhouses (both Maxis, and ones people have made) work for 19th century and earlier (or, severely "rural poor" or 3rd world themes), and so would the SSoW "potty hole" toilets from the pirate set. Those bush toilets you made, Aaron, cover a lot of theme ground: primitive backwoods camping, permanent living in the woods, cavemen, barbarians, tribal aborigines...my still-unfinished second "potty" is supposed to be really disgusting (but I do have a really sick sense of humor) -- the "Turd Toilet." That is, crapping right there on the open ground! That would work, theme-wise, in the woods and with primitives, certainly, but also, and in conjunction with:

What we need next, IMO, is something for contemporary urban drunks/slum themes/the alleys of medieval cities, and should be catted for Downtown and/or other away lots as well. I really think it would be cool (yes, I know I'm sick!) to have male sims peeing against the walls of the downtown buildings. At the risk of again plunging this back into a hacking discussion, my "off the top of my head" idea, which still needs actual investigation, would be to combine a Maxis urinal (which needs to go against a wall, and only males can use it -- I really don't see females peeing against a wall!) with Aaron's bush toilet (the flushing sound was already cleaned out from it), and made invisible. Or just taking the Maxis urinal from scratch and making it both quiet and invisible...oh, and adding a new BHAV with a nice little "function 42 Create Object Instance" so you get a little flood on the ground after the sim pees...would be nice if it could be yellow, but OK)....ehhh, yeah, this requires a bit more thought, and some actual "playing with it just to see what happens" -- but still, I think we Simmers need toilets like this. Unless, of course, someone has already done this -- in which case I'd be asking WCIF?

laugh laugh

~Yersinia.

Last edited by Yersinia on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: