Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brown sugar substitution?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Brown sugar substitution? Reply with quote

Okay, I promised some people a coffee cake... only to discover that we're out of brown sugar... blush

I only need a quater cup (and do not expect to be baking much in the near future... It's christams, when everyone else bakes laugh ).

I have quite a bit of granulated sugar. I'd imaging I could spoon in a little mollasses and mix well (very well) but I don't keep that in either laugh .

Now, I know the color will be a little botched-up but... is there anything I can do (or do I just have to go out and buy brown sugar)?

Edit: Looks like my mother cleaned out the cabnets I have to get flour anyway.... or bum some of granny wink

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real substitute I know is molasses and granulated sugar but if I was in your situation I would make some caramel to top it instead. Just heat the granulated sugar (swirling, don't put a spoon in it) until it goes light brown then mix in a bit of cream or butter if you don't have cream. It'll be ghastly sweet but different.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could mix the melted sugar with dry oatmeal to make a coffee cake kind of topping.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the recipie called for it... my topping was never anything above cinnamon-sugar laugh

I'll start looking for other recipies I supose...

katie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have maple syrup- the faux Log Cabin stuff, even? Using it would largely depend on your recipient's opinion of maple (some people love it, some hate it). You can substitute three quarters of a cup for every cup of sugar needed. You could also try honey instead of syrup (always have honey on hand, it's a sweetener that will never ever go bad).

Or, if you want to use both sugar and syrup- 1/4 a cup of syrup and a cup of sugar will replace one cup of brown sugar.

Depending on other ingredients, it's also possible simply to substitute white for brown directly. If you're using a lot of cinnamon and other flavours which will overshadow the molasses, this may be the way to go.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the one I know by heart is really simple. Flour, Baking powder, Salt; Sugar, Brown Suagr, Butter, egg.

I eye it up as needed... but I think it usually comes about to...

1 c. Flour
1 tsp. B. Powder
1 pinch salt

1/2 c. W. Gr. Sugar
1/4 c. B. Sugar
1/2 stick butter (1/2 lb, I think...)

1 egg

Mix the first set of ingredents into a large mixing bowl. Mix second set in small (or medium) bowl well. Combine bowls with electric mixer on low (speed up if you need too). Add egg, Combine with mixer.
Bake on 425-450-ish until it looks done.

Oh, you might want to grease the pan... I don't always...

Sometimes I don't use the egg if the ingredents are willing to stick without it... Or I don't have it in. I'm a very dynamic chef... which I why I don't bake too often laugh . I'm that chef that has to tase it to make sure it's right. rolleyes You can't change baked goods once you start...

Yep. I cook from my head. yes

Also: Thanks for the syrup tip! I always have syrup in...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Cuisine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: