Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some things and some questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Show and Tell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChowGuy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Some things and some questions. Reply with quote

I don't know if this is a "Show and Tell" item, a "Wish List," or WCIF, or a "Object creation" item. A little of all three probably, but put it here. So to start at the beginning, I had at least one narrow interior hallway with only a two-tile wide exterior wall, and that was where the fireplace had to go. I needed at least two light sources for it day and night though. Night was okay, there was enough free wall for sconces, and I could kludge it in th day by making the fireplace an alcove and putting the "cathedral" windows along the sides that barely show a cut-out, but still that's architecturally nonsense to have windows in a chimney. There was also the main room of the Inn that logically be lit up at night even if no-one's currently in it. It's a business after all, and one that caters to the night crowd. I don't know if there is anything in UL or the other EP's with "Away" lots that addresses that issue, one would think restaurants and clubs would want it too, but I only have LL.

I had found Inge's "PermaLight" Brass Sconce at SimLogical even before I arrived at this forum.. Works okay for the hallways, but not not quite the Medieval motif I wanted for the main room where I was using the candelabras. No problem, she's got a "clone me" policy for them, and I figured at some point I'd get around to doing so.

So as the kid with clown says "Yeah I did. But I totally underestimated the creepiness factor." Well, not really creepy,,. wasn't that bad, but those lights are animated and I don't believe her bases handle that. At least none of the examples she has up do so, so I quickly realized that there was going to be at least a little more to it and decided to go ahead and make my own. That way I could add in some additional features of my own. This is what I ended up with, and I'll post it here for your consideration.

These lamps are programmed to be "always on" on during the Sim's normal "activity" time of day, from 7 AM to 10 PM, then revert to Maxis-style behavior at night, snapping on and off as you enter/leave the room. There are also menu options to turn them on or off manually, or to set them to work in [mostly] Maxis' standard mode. If you place one outdoors (it's only allowed for the brass sconce, but it's a configurable option in the common base code) then you have only the "Set On" "Set Off" and "Set Standard" (on in the evening only) menu choices, since "On in the Day" is meaningless there. but that's still more then Maxis gives you. Oh, and outdoors, the Sim's room checks and animations are bypassed, even the "Goto relative" so putting on a second story wall is no problem.

Note: The one other difference in behavior when in "standard" mode is that if you them turn them "On" at night they will not then automatically shut themselves off at dawn. Of course - since turning them On takes them out of Standard mode. I could probably have made them work that way with YAMOs [yet another menu option] but that "feature" always bugged me in any case. I dislike things that try force me to do things their way rather then my own. [Read XP/Vista :tounge] But anyway, there you have it.

---------

Some Technical Stuff for the re-cloner/re-colorers out there (feel free to do so BTW, I'm using no-ones graphics but Maxis' and no-one's hacks but my own)

As mentioned above, both these sconces use the same code base; the animation code is adaptive and querys the OBJD for the number of graphics so it should be able to support most existing wall light graphics. And I imagine table and floor lamps as well, since the original IFF files had those animations called out although they didn't use them so I assume Maxis used the same underlying base, but I haven't tried that. There may be some later-EP "lamps" with additional functionalities as well that it wouldn't provide as well, but I'm not concerned about that at the moment

In theory in fact I should be able to merge both these objects into a sngle IFF even though they came from two separate ones as happily none of the resource ID's conflict but I saw no benefit to doing so. In any event, I'm excised all the nonsense in the INIT routines (and elsewhere) checking for specific GUIDs to set room-scores, select sound files and animation counts, etc, which has to be one of the most collossally un-clone friendly things I can imagine and replaced it with either adaptive code or attribute flags that are defaulted in an INIT common set but can be overriden as need be by providing a specific INIT for each object. I provide you two examples via these files. Really should do a read-me too I guess to be "user-friendly," but meh, look into them - if you're a cloner already you should be able figure it out. If not, ask and I'll fill in the details. I also didn't add any comments (I did leave some TREEs in for Codex) as they don't show up in IFF Pencil anyway. Dunno about IFF Snooper, though I've seen no screen shots that indicate it does either.

I've also removed the game version check that applied to the original [Castle 3] candelabra. I think the code is still TS1 compatible as I saw no globals used which were also in the Brass one that was IIRC one of the very first SimDay items. At least that's where I got miy copy many moons ago, even if the protype was "updated" in a later EP to use some new semi-global and thus require that version (as I understand Maxis was inclined to do) it should not affect these. There was however one primitive - "Nofify Stack Object (...)" - used to signal the animation code that was not in the earlier unanimated version. I believe that it was original equipment and the reference chart says nothing to the contrary, but it's number 49 of 50 so it could have been a last-minute LL add-on. If someone knows for sure or has a vanilla-only setup and would care to confirm NO=EP compatibility I'd appreciate it. I can work around it, but why bother if I don't need to?

----------

Okay, now comes the "Wish List" bit. The base works fine and they look sort of OK, but these still aren't really the graphics I'd like to see. The candelabra is a little out of period (the original description dates it to 1870) and too Victorian fancy for a common Inn, but I can live with it. The brass sconces though relly need to go. Another, smaller wall candle holder, or "table lamps" that look like candlesticks would be nice, and I've seen a few of those but what I'd really like would be either hurricane lamps (those oil-lamp things with the vase-shaped glass chimneys) or the typical iron bound lantern shape like you see on those "old fashioned" street lights. Still very Dickonsonian and technically out-of period I know, but I'm not that fanatical. LL does have what they call a hurricane lamp wall light, but it's way oversized and even more Victorian looking then the candelabra. I think there was also another more severe candle holder in one of the EP's, but I've seen no clones of it offered on the web. Not really the sort of thing that screams "re-color me" I suppose and Inge's are about the only "re-function me" clones I've noticed. A little tin "Wee Willy Winkee" candle holder a Sim could carry from room to room and set on tables would be "tres kewl", but that would be a whole different behavior set and is not plausible for this base.

It does get even better though. What I'd really like that is plausible is a candle-based hanging light fixture kind of like those "wagon wheel" deals Errol Flynn was always swinging from. Would not matter whether you imported them to this base, nor whrther or not they had multiple graphics as I can handle those things (well duh!) as well as any "missing animations." I have no idea what the standard HD animations for hanging lights was, but seriously, what would you do for something like this anyway, have the Sim raise and lower it from a rope on the wall question I think not. No, for those I would just "Goto relative" and then do a remote activate, and I need no animation global to do that. As far as making them though, I'm afraid it's beyond my graphic-fu to attempt I'm afraid. no

S'anyway, I've done my part and y'all are welcome to use them as they wish but if anyone has any suggestions or cares to take a shot at this graphics-wise I'd appreciate it muchly. In a forum full of themers someone ought to have come up with better in-period lamps by now. [Insert missing "Puppy Eyes" emoticon]

------------

Oh, one more quick WCIF. I tested the "Burglar" function by cloning and hacking the alarm to simply run "Turn on Lights" directly out of main, but I really ought to do a more proper test. As with a real burglar showing up, both for that function and to be sure that the Auto function does not react to him. It's a trivial bit of code but I did change that routine and should verify it. I posted a question in Slryhs, but it won't hurt to ask here as well.
mtaman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a set of animated wall candles and matching floor stand from SS. Do they have the style more like you're looking for? I'd imagine you could use the graphics to make a single candlestick for table top use as well.
ChowGuy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
There is a set of animated wall candles and matching floor stand from SS. Do they have the style more like you're looking for? I'd imagine you could use the graphics to make a single candlestick for table top use as well.

Maybe. Hard to say, as I don't have SS installed, but the wall unit is likely the one shown in whatever site's "Object Index" I saw. What I would need though are the actual graphics themselves, as in some other (FSF) object cloned from that.

Parsimonious has a few candle arrangements based on some HD item, Lava Light maybe, that might be workable with a bit of editting, I'll have to check their policies on that. Also a long table with candlesticks down the center that I bookmarked, but they looked to be part of the table itself rather then a separate item and it doesn't quite work for me as-is, though I may end up doing something with it. Lot of stuff on that site, but all in sets and no actual "lighting" section that I can see...

Ah, here's that table - [url=http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture/dining/7.shtml["Wytrhern Hall"[/url]. Oh wow! looking at that page again, I now see a table lamp also listed as "HD" and a ceiling fixture marked "UL" but then every ceiling lamp clone I've ever seen started as "UL" and that that doesn't stop people making "NOEP" versions of them. I think I may have just answered that part of my own own WCIF LOL. Still searching for glass hurricane lamps though.

Edit to Add: Oh boop. I didn't even realize you had in fact posted a shot of them till I logged in to post this. Hmmm... yeah, that might work.
Siyankan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChowGuy wrote:
Parsimonious has a few candle arrangements based on some HD item, Lava Light maybe, that might be workable with a bit of editting, I'll have to check their policies on that.

If it's Parsimonius, then the graphics are free to use. Kate's policy (as well as those of most major sites and a lot of small ones) is visible here at SO in the community policies forum.

mtaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they are Maxis objects, I could PM them to you and you can use the graphics however you want.
ChowGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
Since they are Maxis objects, I could PM them to you and you can use the graphics however you want.

That would work. I also found another ceiling lamp at Mariana's while responding to Olly's post, which once again I discover is already sitting there in my my "waiting to be installed" folder. *sigh* I've really got to go through and catalog all that stuff. Problem is, I downloaded several hundred files back when I first go this bug a couple months ago, now I can't even remember what all I have, much less where I found it to give proper attribution. I'm planning to post this project so want to do all the architectural objects from scratch, as then I know they're sharable, but that's not practical for furnishings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Show and Tell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: