Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter Lady (paint by numbers) Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karin, I think what you have done so far is very nice.

I am sure you have been through many "grrrr's" to get that far. I have never created anything but am about to try. So I will find out how many "grrr's" I have to go through to get my first skin made.

And here is the first grrr. I tried to download the free simpose program to use. I followed the link given in this thread http://www.simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=123 but could not get to a page for the program. It seems that the site with the program is no longer there.

I would try body warp, but it only goes up to Hot Date and I have CC. Can I still use it?

mtaman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pygott.demon.co.uk/simpose/welcome.htm Current link for SimPose. I'll update the other link.

Yes, you can still use BodyWarp with CC.
ruthml

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karin, I think you've made a great start with that skin. Not having even seen Gimp I can't offer help but I know Anette uses it, maybe she'll stop by and read your plight soon.

patos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mtaman, that link worked.

Now if I can just understand all the how to use stuff. laugh

Right now with my stuffy head and such, I am barely understanding the forum and other things I use all the time. Won't even try something new till I feel like a "human bean" again! whistle

Madoria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I must say you have started out great , Karin !!!
I like the gree shade you have choosen!

Susanne hug

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good start, Karin, for working your way round a new part of a graphics program.

And games do need peasants as well as nobility, so please post your peasant when you finally are happy with her.

Patos, it must be tough to try to do something new when your feeling sickflu

but I know you'll like this once you've worked your way into it. hug

KarinL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. blush

I started over a few times, experimenting with trimmings and checking how the mesh stretches them... I can see now how skinning can get addictive, too... laugh

Edit: so, what do you think so far? (Don't feel you have to be kind, I know I have a lot to learn... laugh )

Karin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarinL wrote:

Edit: so, what do you think so far? (Don't feel you have to be kind, I know I have a lot to learn... laugh )

Karin

I think you've made a great start, and have produced a perfectly usable skin, useful as a 'b' skin for minor characters in a medieval theme game, or as a 'w' skin for Visitors, and one worth posting for the use of the many theme players who always need more skins to avoid the horrible incongruence of Maxis skins appearing in a theme game.

Now try using a pretty texture for the scarf, then picking up a colour from it for each of the other garments.

Quote:

I started over a few times, experimenting with trimmings and checking how the mesh stretches them... I can see now how skinning can get addictive, too...

Oh yes! Early on, before the time we fried a hard disk for which we had made no back ups, I made more objects than skins, though I was still in the learning stages of both. Once we replaced that hard disk, somehow I never went back to objects.

And if you think it's addictive now, wait till you see what the game lighting does to skins you thought you knew perfectly. smile

KarinL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
I think you've made a great start, and have produced a perfectly usable skin, useful as a 'b' skin for minor characters in a medieval theme game, or as a 'w' skin for Visitors, and one worth posting for the use of the many theme players who always need more skins to avoid the horrible incongruence of Maxis skins appearing in a theme game.

Thanks, Bruja. I will zip it up in three skin tones just in case anyone needs it for peasants, visitors, townies, etc.

Quote:
Now try using a pretty texture for the scarf, then picking up a colour from it for each of the other garments.

I'll have to figure out how to get textures into Gimp, and see what happens when I play around with those...

I have to test all my skins in the game, since I don't have any preview programs that I can use... It surprised me a few times that I thought I knew how a skin would look, and it ended up looking very different. :)

I love objects, but I am not good at the graphics of those, either. Working with this skin tutorial is teaching me a lot of useful things about the Gimp that will probably come in handy when making objects, too.

Karin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how useful anything I ever learned to do in a graphics program turned out to be, often in real life.

A couple of months ago, my husband couldn't get a shot of some prize-winning iris to come alive for the cover of a garden club publication. He sent it to me to play with, and I tried adjusting the curve. We got exactly the contrast we needed.

Madoria has found a new free artware program. http://www.simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=5969

It looks potentially useful for people whose language it supports.

"Textures" is used in graphics programs to mean something closer to the normal usage. "Pattern" seems to be used for floral prints, etc. You could have a floral print (pattern) used with a rough-woven texture, for example. I should have used the word "pattern" when I was talking about a graphics program/

I get patterns into PSP by dragging them into an active window. I never bother making them seamless, since I don't find it that useful to flood fill large areas very often.

When I bring a new pattern in, I usually use it first by flood filling a 512x512 image at scale of 100%, then looking at it in SimPose on the mesh. hat step helps me decide whether the mesh will accept the pattern easily, and the scale that I'll need to use.

Then I decide which parts of the pattern to try on which parts of the mesh.

Here's a link to a tutorial on bringing tiling textures into Gimp and naming them for your future use.

http://www.ingiebee.com/SL/Tutorial_1/Gimp_Part_2.htm

And I found this tutorial for making fabric folds in Gimp.

http://danimagoo.blogspot.com/2007/08/vertcal-fabric-folds-in-gimp.html

KarinL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!! Both of these look very useful, I've bookmarked them for later... Right now I think I'm too tired to start them - and I'm afraid that if I do, I'll end up staying up all night playing with new patterns. LOL!!

Since the kids' break is over and I have to bring my youngest to school again tomorrow, staying up all night doesn't seem like a smart thing to do...
rolleyes

Karin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarinL wrote:
Layers in Gimp confuse me - one problem is that the layer that is selected doesn't always seem to be the one that you *see*, so you end up 'selecting by colour' on another layer than what you *think* is the active one... if that makes sense at all?

Hi Karin! Maybe I can help clear things up a little. I've never used anything other than Gimp, so I don't know how different that layers menu might appear in other programs like PSP.

In Gimp, whatever layer is 'selected' (or highlighted on the layers menu) is the one you're working on. Important to note, though, that if you've selected a certain segment of the image, that's the part that will be affected when you attempt to alter the layer. I mention that because I've made a mistake or two that way before. After performing an action on a small group of pixels, I forgot to 'select none' before trying to affect the entire layer. And then sat there scratching my head over it until I realized the problem. laugh

Layers pile up from the bottom. Upper layers will sit on top of the lower ones, and that can impede visibility if you're trying to work on something that's blocked off by another layer. In Gimp, the 'eyeball' to the left of each layer can be clicked to toggle that layer's invisibility. So if an upper layer is in the way, you can just click to turn it temporarily invisible while you work on the lower one.

I hope that helps at least a little! smile
ruthml

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karin, I think that skin looks great - players certainly need the "common folk" skins and I'd certainly use it. Now that you're getting the hang of it, you could try next time ideas like, making the underskirt layer (the bottom layer of the dress) a contrasting colour, or pattern with the overskirt part in a different colour for eg. Or putting double or triple bands of trim around the bottom - which can be just narrow bands of colour, putting narrow double or triple bands of contrasting colour around the sleeve cuffs, making the insides of the cuffs a different colour (to look like the sleeves are lined), as well as putting a texture on the headscarf etc. The possibilities are limitless!

KarinL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Annette, that does help. I figured some of it out myself, but I did have this problem of selecting stuff on one layer and then having it 'carry over'. When it happened, I just ditched the whole thing and went back to a previous copy, thinking I'd messed up in some way...:)
Now that I read your explanation, I think I understand what I did, though, so next time I won't have to start over...

Quote:
Karin, I think that skin looks great - players certainly need the "common folk" skins and I'd certainly use it.

Thank you, Ruth.

I tried to do something with the sleeve lining, but the problem is that I don't quite see what part of the bmp is the actual 'lining' and it ended up in a weird place somewhere around the elbow. laugh

I hope I'll have some time to look at these texture/pattern tutorials today. I spent most of the day painting walls - one of those things that make me wish I was a Sim and could just point a brush at the wall, hold down 'shift' and be done with it. laugh laugh

Karin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarinL wrote:
I tried to do something with the sleeve lining, but the problem is that I don't quite see what part of the bmp is the actual 'lining' and it ended up in a weird place somewhere around the elbow. :laugh

I think it's a little strip the width of the sleeve in the top left corner if I'm remembering correctly.

And no kidding, that dress looks great for your first time with a new graphics program!

KarinL wrote:
I hope I'll have some time to look at these texture/pattern tutorials today. I spent most of the day painting walls - one of those things that make me wish I was a Sim and could just point a brush at the wall, hold down 'shift' and be done with it. :laugh :laugh

Karin

I know! And the windows and doors are always perfectly masked off, and no drips ever get on the floor--amazing! Though you can't actually paint the window-frames, I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: