Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I hope this isn't too much to ask...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yammy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: I hope this isn't too much to ask... Reply with quote

Well, I'm a total newbie to theme playing, and I want to theme play with the stuff from The Fantasim Tales, but I've got two questions...

1. Can I theme play with the stuff from Fantasim? In skin terms, I mean. Do they have everything ready for a light adult female skinny downtownie or a dark child male vacationer, or whatever the game dishes out? I really hope you guys can understand me...

And yes, I do know that the townies might come out weird, like a angel with an animorph head...I can just fix that with a program. (Right?)

And here comes the big one... (blush)

2. I'm not exactly the most patient person in the grocery store checkout line. I've tried to delete all the bmps from the FAR files before, but I've failed miserably because I didn't know which ones to keep and which ones to delete.

So, what I'm asking is either a list of what files I should/should NOT delete, so that I can finally do it on my own, or a zip file with the stripped FAR files so I can just pop them into my game. I would prefer option two (already stripped FAR files) but I really don't care at this point.

And in the case that I can't play with the Fantasim stuff-can somebody point me to some really good theme sites that would work in the game?

Thanks. smile

(I have Complete Collection, by the way.)
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is the right place to ask. And yes, you can theme play with FantaSims skins, though I'll tell you right now that I've never tried to set up a theme with only those skins, so I won't guarantee that you can do it without checking carefully as you go along.

This is how you go about it:

1. Open a new file folder called FaeSkins. There's no need to have it inside the game until it's ready to use.

2. Start opening the skin zips that you have downloaded. Have a checklist on a sheet of paper, so that you can keep track of the types of skins that you have unzipped and copied to the FaeSkins folder.

You will need, at a minimum, heads in each skintone for FA, MA, FC, and MC.

You will need to have, at a minimum, for each skintone for each of Fafat, Fafit, Faskn, Mafat, Mafit, Maskn: B, L, S, F, W, and H skins.

And for each of Fc and Mc: B, L, S, and W skins.

Check each type of skin off as you add it to the FaeSkins folder. Yes, you do need to have a complete set of skins for MAFATDRK - so if you can't find a set like that at Fantasims, you need to find at least one "b" [normal wear] skin, and let the sims of that type use the Maxis default buyables.

Don't mess with the Maxis SkinsBuy folder

(Some, but not all, of Sistergirl's Fantasy skins have sets of buyables.)

This might be a good time to tell you that unless you can develop a fair amount of patience, you might be better just adding a few fantasy skins to your ordinary game.

3. Sistergirl worked very hard to make sure that her fantasy skins were playable. In all, or possibly only almost all, of her skins, the "fae" bits were added to the head, so that the sim doesn't lose wings or ears when going swimming or going to bed.

4. When your FaeSkins folder contains all the cmx, skn, and bmp files that you need, as listed in #2, plus a lot more than the minimum, so that all your game-generated sims don't look exactly alike, open your GameData/Skins folder, and copy the little squiggle file at the top into your FaeSkins folder.

5. Now you have to decide whether you really want to strip out all the Maxis bmps. It's a bit tedious, but if you are careful, you could do it in a day.

The third post in this thread describes the process. There are also some other posts in that thread about things you have to be aware of and very careful with.

6. Whether or not you have stripped the fars, and want to proceed, move your Skins folder out of the game to somewhere safe. You might want some or all of it back.

7. Move your FaeSkins folder into the game, and rename it Skins, so that the game can read it.

8. If you already have a neighbourhood you are playing, you can now load the game at the hood. All of the sims in the hood, including the away lot sims, will now be wearing the heads and bodies that you placed in the game. You can use SimWardrobe to change bodies. Or simMetamorpizer to change heads. SimEnhancer 3D (pay) is a handy program that will do either.

9. If like mattydon'tlike it and me, you love to see a whole new hood populate, open an empty hood to populate it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: