Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

600 new heads.........
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: 600 new heads......... Reply with quote

I stripped the fars of heads a couple of days ago. There were about 250 male, 250 female, and 80 each for boys and girls.

Some of the Maxis bmps will be usable, since they don't look out of place in a medieval theme, so I'll move them from the Maxis head bmps files into my new skins folder.

But unless I want my game-generated sims from looking like identical quintuplets, I'm going to be slaving at new heads far into the night for a while. I've been working at FA heads all day, and even though some are recolours of ones I particularly like, I haven't got a hundred yet. drawingboard

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a good start on the FC heads. I've sorted some bmps into folders by the mesh I want to use them on, and another several hours in PSP should give me enough for a basic medieval game.

There are a lot of Maxis FC meshes that are clearly wrong for the medieval period. However, several might work for boys of the period. Remember when pageboy haircuts were worn by pageboys............... whistle

mattydontlikeit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By comparison I seem to have it pretty easy. I find myself at the same point of progress on men's heads for a Victorian/Edwardian science fiction hood, but there's not a whole lot of variety to men's hairstyles for that period. Hardest thing I have to deal with is finding heads that will work with hats. I've got three or four versions of every male cmx in the game, to account for top hats, bowlers and flat caps. BodyWarp and CMXmaker are getting a workout, and my fingers are numb from renaming bmps, but otherwise no real stress. It's the women's heads I'm dreading. And then there's the SkinsBuy folder. I've got a few things here and there for swim and sleep, but not much (mostly generic nightshirts from Tig's and some very strange period swimwear), and there's so little difference between casual and formal for the era that I'm considering just ignoring formalwear and high fashion entirely.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victorian/Edwardian men's heads, are, as you say, not much of a problem, once you get the punk and green haired bmps out of the fars.

I have an ongoing head skinning program, which I started in earnest last spring. It has, so far, folders for Regency, Victorian, and now Medieval, heads, each subdivided into FA, FC, MA, and MC. Then each of those subdivisons has a subfolder by mesh identifier. When I find a mesh that looks to me as if it will work for a certain period, I open the mesh subfolder.

Then I look through my hundreds of bmps on meshes in SimPose, and copy useful looking ones into the subfolder. If the mesh has a hair ribbon or other ornament that has to have a spot on the bmp, it goes into a folder 'add ribbon' inside the mesh folder. (I've found that this is the kind of thing I can do in odd half hours, or on my laptop when travelling). Straight renaming is something I can also do here and there.

When I can spring a few hours free of interruption, especially when I'm home and can use my desktop, which I find much better for graphics work, (and essential for MilkShape), I choose a mesh and start pulling some of my bmp collection in the mesh folder into PSP. The easiest thing to do is to play with the hair colour. (Eye recolouring is fun, but doesn't show up much in the game.) If I get a few variations I like, I pick one or two to use with that mesh, and throw the rest into my ever-growing slush pile of reworked bmps that I'll try on more meshes in the future.

When I'm feeling even more energetic, I'll start playing with hair texture, and make a pile of bmps with different hair textures in several colour variations.

When I'm working with a mesh that has a hair bow, I have to fiddle around in PSP, trying to get a 21x21 area of the head bmp to produce a realistic looking shading for the accessory. Last night, it took me 2 hours to get the shading for the hair bow for c710fc to look anything other than flat, and I'm almost afraid to go back to look at it this morning, in case I had a sudden case of collapsing standards brought on by eye strain and fatigue.

If the shading is right, then I'll do a bit of an assembly line to get all the bmps for that mesh for one skintone. I'll open a new image called c710fcmed_SBRplait, and I'll layer the 3 or more bmps of that skintone that are going to become the bmps with ribbon. I'll make copies of each face/hair combo with different colour ribbons, then pick 3 or 4 (plait1, plait2, erc.) to go into the game, after I've reduced the colour depth.

Once in a while, if I think some of the bmps are particularly useful, I'll try to find the time to take preview pix, and make the zips to upload to SimBrujaja. There are a few FA Victorian heads I made last summer that you might find useful. http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SimBrujaja/files/Women%20Heads/

And the pictures of the heads will show you what I'm talking about in terms of getting the colours on the bmps so tha the heads look quite different in the game.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattydontlikeit wrote:
And then there's the SkinsBuy folder. I've got a few things here and there for swim and sleep, but not much (mostly generic nightshirts from Tig's and some very strange period swimwear), and there's so little difference between casual and formal for the era that I'm considering just ignoring formalwear and high fashion entirely.

Do we have another thread somewhere on this topic? If not, we should start one.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattydontlikeit wrote:
It's the women's heads I'm dreading.

Have a look at this thread. Some of the illustrations of a single head bmp on a variety of meshes should give you an idea of where you're going with FA heads.

http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=177

If there are any meshes you think are 'right', and you don't know where to find them, you could try taking the pic in Post #1, and circling the ones you want information for.

mattydontlikeit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me. I somehow have managed to have never picked up SimPose until about five minutes ago. So now I have it finally, and I'll be learning my way around with it this morning. Up to now I have been using BodyWarp to view skins on meshes. Just a bit clunky, and it crashes every fifth or sixth mesh I load up, but handy for trying on props before making new CMX's.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattydontlikeit wrote:
Thanks for reminding me. I somehow have managed to have never picked up SimPose until about five minutes ago. So now I have it finally, and I'll be learning my way around with it this morning. Up to now I have been using BodyWarp to view skins on meshes. Just a bit clunky, and it crashes every fifth or sixth mesh I load up, but handy for trying on props before making new CMX's.

SimPose can also be used to try props. I use both BodyWarp and SimPose for previews, depending on what I particularly want to see well.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now got over a hundred FC heads ready to be renamed to fit their new meshes.

And I've realized that I don't have all my SimSkins FA heads unzipped, so I've just copied images of over 399 FA heads, so that I can figure out which ones still zipped that I need the meshes from. jfade's psycho

And I also got the images of all the other SimSkin head meshes.

On the way through, I noticed several FA and a couple of FC meshes that will probably work nicely for Victorian, too.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a discouraging sameness in the useful FA meshes. Too many for long hair, not enough for bound-up hair.

Anyone have meshes to suggest?

Oreocreme

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruja, some bound-up meshes I have in my game are:

C8K5fa_noflringlettes - don't remember where it is from, but it is pulled back with curls cascading down from the crown.

C794fa_realhollywood - Sim Freaks, of course

C101fa_simsisbun - Sim Sisters

You might also be able to do something with Cornelia's mesh: C802.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I'll look for c101fa. I do have the others. I just want MORE! (hmmmmm We don't have a piggy smilie.)
anms2a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://simsketches.fateback.com/beta.htm try here.

I speak Engrish.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anms2a wrote:
http://simsketches.fateback.com/beta.htm try here.

Some of those were just what I was looking for. I've never had any Sketch head meshes before, for some reason. Thank you biggrin

anms2a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I could help wink

I speak Engrish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: