Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vision of a Perfect Park Challenge (Prizes now available)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Vision of a Perfect Park Challenge (Prizes now available) Reply with quote

Simblesse Oblige Perfect Park Challenge!

For this Simblesse Oblige Challenge, we invite you to build us your vision of a perfect park.

Do you long for trees and meandering streams? Do you desire a neat knot garden? Do you want flowers, flowers everywhere? Or do you want a lively spot, with a swimming pool and food vendors close at hand? Or perhaps a playground for the kiddies?

Choose any Community or Downtown lot, then landscape and build your Perfect Park to share with us.

As a courtesy to our members on dial-up, please post a small jpg here, and give us a link to the hosting service, like Photobucket, where we can delight in your vision of a Perfect Park!

If your Perfect Park lot can be assembled from a shopping list, post the zip containing the lot, a jpg of your favourite view of it, and the shopping list. (Please include in your post and in your zip's readme which expansions packs you have installed. Lots made with Deluxe or later can crash pre-Deluxe games.)

"Where Can I Find" for this Challenge can be found here: http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=6441

17mars has provided two participation prizes for this Challenge: a valance made from original curtain graphics by Salome and Sleepy Cocoa, a hacked object to make your sims sleepy and ready for bed. Graphics on this object are courtesy Simaphor. The modified base is a safe version of the Odd Sims classic with permission.

Krisandj

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very new to doing challenges and also new to sharing my lots with others. I'm a bit unclear as to what a shopping list is supposed to contain. I have written down (by pencil and paper only so far, lol) the catalog names of every item on my park's lot - some of the item descriptions mention who created it and some do not and I do not have links to offer up of where I got the items. I couldn't even tell most of the time what belongs to Maxis or not.
I love my park and my simmies/pets love to hang out there indefinitely too. I'd quite like to share it. My park is on Old Town community Lot 73 and I am playing with Complete Collection installed. What should I do next? TIA for help/advice. :)
KarinL

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kris,

The shopping list is to help others find the things you used. It should have the website/creator listed, and if possible a link.

Catalog names aren't very helpful. Many creators don't change the names, or forget to change them for 'all languages' so an item might even have a different catalog name depending on whether you play the US or the European version of the game...

File names can sometimes be helpful, especially if they have an identifier code (usualy the first two or three letters, like SSW_ or AB_ , etc.)

Why don't you post a picture, and if possible, a link to an on-line album or something with more pictures, and we can see how much we can identify?

Karin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you, Karin. That clears things up a lot. :) I will get some pictures and post up an album link. Should I maybe include a list of items that I already know who created it - for example C + C stuff is clearly marked in my catalog? I still wouldn't have ready links to offer but at least it would eliminate some things from needing the creator identified? If it doesn't matter then I won't and I'll just stick to posting the pics. :) Likely later today.
KarinL

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any information you have would be helpful, of course. It doesn't necessary have to include links - I think most of us here can find C&C without a one. laugh

I'm looking forward to seeing your park. I was making one myself, but got sidetracked into making a supermarket.

Karin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here is a preview pic of my park

and here is an album (guest password is ... granted2u ) of more pictures of my park. I don't know about "perfect" but my sims like it real well! :D

I named it after my own favorite park from my childhood even though it doesn't resemble it at all - Stanley Park. At SimCity Stanley Park the only things you can buy are food (very filling and inexpensive - either 5 or 12 simoleons per serving) and arcade/amusements playtime. The tagline for it in the neighborhood screen is "Fun for the whole family without going to Vacation Island". It is almost entirely child and/or pet friendly. It also has Invisi-yak tables to promote relationship building amongst neighbors. Motives boosters are available all over the lot for sims young to old and their pets too! FWIW, while visiting Stanley Park I've never seen a sim wave their arms at me to tell me something is missing, lol. Admittedly it is not perfect "looking" but it is very functional. :)
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisandj wrote:
Thank-you, Karin. That clears things up a lot. :) I will get some pictures and post up an album link. Should I maybe include a list of items that I already know who created it - for example C + C stuff is clearly marked in my catalog? I still wouldn't have ready links to offer but at least it would eliminate some things from needing the creator identified? If it doesn't matter then I won't and I'll just stick to posting the pics. :) Likely later today.

Hi, Krisandj,

Welcome to joining in the fun here at SO! smile

Here's what I'd suggest you do - and I hope you don't find it too complicated.

1. Make your album and post a single jpg here in this thread, with a link to your album.

2. Look through your pictures in your album and, one picture at a time, make a list of objects you want to know the source for.

3. Go to this thread http://www.simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=6441, which has been set up to help people find the objects in pictures from this Perfect Park Challenge. Make a separate post for each picture, showing the picture and listing the items you need the source for.

These WCIF threads for challenges are usually used to ask the person who posted the pictures where she got the items, but there's no reason why the system can't work in reverse! laugh

4. Once you've got as many items as possible identified, write your shopping list. A simple .txt file is best, since it has a much smaller file size than a .doc or other word processed file, and can be read by any computer.

In my opinion, the best shopping lists are those which name a site, then list the objects or floors, whatever, that came from that site. If you have the website address, add that. If you know the site is closed, mention that.

5. Write a readme file (another simple .txt file) that identifies you as the lot creator, says what challenge the lot was created for, and gives a link to the Challenge thread here. You should mention that it was built using Complete Collection.

6. Put the lot .iff file, the shopping list and the readme, plus a few of your jpg's from the album into a zip file, and post them here in this thread, along with another jpg of the lot.

And may I say how greatly I admire you for asking in advance how to go about the whole process! I hope my list of steps helps you enjoy playing the challenge. smile

Krisandj

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
Hi, Krisandj,

Here's what I'd suggest you do - and I hope you don't find it too complicated.

1. Make your album and post a single jpg here in this thread, with a link to your album.

2. Look through your pictures in your album and, one picture at a time, make a list of objects you want to know the source for.

3. Go to this thread http://www.simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=6441, which has been set up to help people find the objects in pictures from this Perfect Park Challenge. Make a separate post for each picture, showing the picture and listing the items you need the source for.

These WCIF threads for challenges are usually used to ask the person who posted the pictures where she got the items, but there's no reason why the system can't work in reverse! laugh

4. Once you've got as many items as possible identified, write your shopping list. A simple .txt file is best, since it has a much smaller file size than a .doc or other word processed file, and can be read by any computer.

In my opinion, the best shopping lists are those which name a site, then list the objects or floors, whatever, that came from that site. If you have the website address, add that. If you know the site is closed, mention that.

5. Write a readme file (another simple .txt file) that identifies you as the lot creator, says what challenge the lot was created for, and gives a link to the Challenge thread here. You should mention that it was built using Complete Collection.

6. Put the lot .iff file, the shopping list and the readme, plus a few of your jpg's from the album into a zip file, and post them here in this thread, along with another jpg of the lot.

And may I say how greatly I admire you for asking in advance how to go about the whole process! I hope my list of steps helps you enjoy playing the challenge. smile

Thanks for the warm welcome and detailed instructions, bruja. :)

Okay I've finished steps 1, 2, 4 and 5. According to my shopping list I'm missing sources on 16 items but that number may be less or more depending if I'm mistaken on what is and isn't Maxis content. The thought of posting 16 pics is daunting, lol. I'm gonna take a break for a bit and try to get to steps 3 and 6 later this evening, lol. I hope delaying the rest of my entry won't pose a big problem for anyone. Be back later. :)
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisandj wrote:

Okay I've finished steps 1, 2, 4 and 5. According to my shopping list I'm missing sources on 16 items but that number may be less or more depending if I'm mistaken on what is and isn't Maxis content. The thought of posting 16 pics is daunting, lol. I'm gonna take a break for a bit and try to get to steps 3 and 6 later this evening, lol. I hope delaying the rest of my entry won't pose a big problem for anyone. Be back later. :)

We love people who ask questions. thumbsup For every member who asks, there are dozens wondering the same thing. By asking, you get the answer for them as well as for yourself.

Delaying is NO problem. We don't have deadlines on our challenges here. In fact, once you've finished this one, you're welcome to try any of the others in the challenges area. People always learn from challenges, so we never close them.

You might want to consider making a new lot and placing several of your WCIF's on it, just for the purpose of getting them identified. You don't have to post pictures from your actual lot in the WCIF, just some screenshots with your mystery items in them.

patos

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, Krisandj, I really like your park.

Thanks for sharing and participating in this challenge.

You will find your participation gift in your pm box! Enjoy yes

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! And plenty for them to do. smile
Krisandj

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
Krisandj wrote:

We love people who ask questions. thumbsup For every member who asks, there are dozens wondering the same thing. By asking, you get the answer for them as well as for yourself.

Delaying is NO problem. We don't have deadlines on our challenges here. In fact, once you've finished this one, you're welcome to try any of the others in the challenges area. People always learn from challenges, so we never close them.

You might want to consider making a new lot and placing several of your WCIF's on it, just for the purpose of getting them identified. You don't have to post pictures from your actual lot in the WCIF, just some screenshots with your mystery items in them.

You nailed for me what was so daunting ... a new lot with just the WCIFs on it, would be much easier for me to deal with. Kinda glad I didn't try to do it the hard way earlier, lol. As it turns out I'm having company over this evening and I won't get a chance to get on here after all but I have a couple hours before that right now so I'll see what I can get done in that window of time.

Thanks for the help with this, bruja. :)

Thank-you also patos and 17mars for the gift in my PM and for your kind comments.
KarinL

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
Hi, Krisandj,

laugh
I hadn't even noticed you were new here, Kris. I guess that's because I'd just come from Madoria's forum when I read your first post here.
laugh

So, belated, but heartfelt:

welcomeso

Karin

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you, Karin, lol! biggrin

And now for the rest of my entry to the challenge (please let me know if I missed anything, bruja smile ) ...

Note regarding the shopping list I did not hunt down links but organized it by site name of where I got the custom content. Hope that will be enough in case anyone wants anything from it.
CitizenNocturne

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um so a shopping list is a requirement? question
KrisandJ- lovely park^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: