Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whose Story is This?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Whose Story is This? Reply with quote

Hi Theme Simmers,

Looks like something Simmish the game is throwing at me (which was driving me up the wall even) is going to get "written into" my theme game...and Bruja, yeah you wanna go on and slap me for not theming my Townies, go right ahead, because I was actually thinking about it again today (MacSimFinder can make it a little easier, plus enough of them are already dressed OK and have the right heads since I populated the hood with a Skins folder that has custom skins in it)....

Here's what happened -- this past week I started using the SSoW shop sign again, this time to bring in customers first at Ashias's blacksmith shop, and now for Sorcha and Jrie's weaving shop (this hood, the village of Aliset, still doesn't have enough residents to allow me to have enough of a variety of my own sims to teleport in as customers like my other villages do). This is the sign I love to hate (although the hate is MY OWN DARN FAULT!). I love it because it works beautifully, and also because I like the way the customers just stroll onto the lot like "real" Akaren do when they go to the marketplace. I hate it, of course, because it brings in Townies, Tourists and Stranges that I'm too frickin lazy to bother to theme (well maybe this won't last too much longer, we'll see how long it takes me to finally "lose it" with away lot sims who show up wearing glasses and baseball caps!) so I'm still getting customers who look out of place. Well, there's this one IMO really weird thing going on that I never noticed with the sign -- whenever the proprietor opens shop with it, the same away lot sim is always the first to show up -- every single time I use the sign! Here in Aliset, both at Ashias's and at Sorcha and Jrie's -- the one who's been showing up is Leo Silverberg, a Tourist, actually, and he's a child. He never comes with his parents (if he came with his parents like a good Akaren child, he probably wouldn't have bothered me so much), he always shows up by himself, and there is no getting rid of him. If the shop owner says goodbye to him, he comes back as soon as he's gone, unless I have the owner close the shop so no more customers will come -- this isn't exactly good for business, you know?

Well this kid has been driving me nuts for days now, even though he actually happened to have been generated properly dressed and he's not wearing a wizard hat, baseball cap or glasses. I can't explain why even, I just wanted to reach out and squash him -- until a couple minutes before I started writing this post. I was rolling my eyes yet again while the kid (IMO) was yet again pestering Sorcha with jokes and wanting to constantly talk to him, and I'd also noticed Sorcha had greeted him with a hug -- and I'm thinking, "Is he crazy?!" I checked the relationship area and noted that their relationship is 94/63! So OK, well if Sorcha actually LIKES the kid, so I relax about it, live and let live, but THEN all of a sudden -- IT HITS ME!!!

As written, Sorcha ae' Srai and his wife Jrie ni'Mala ae'Kath are the best weavers in the village of Aliset, and not only are they known for their fine cloth and beautiful tapestries in all the other villages, but Akaren from other villages do travel there to buy Aliset-made cloth, tapestries, rugs and clothing (I still need to make Kreilan, the clothesmaker, as a sim there), AND, it's a very strong Akaren tradition for skilled artisans and tradespeople to take in child apprentices! Of course, this is usually done when a child says he's interested in a particular trade for when he passes his rituals, and the arrangement for an apprenticeship is made by his parents who go to the artisan or tradesperson and negotiate it -- but what the hell, this is The Sims, and if I don't think of something in a couple of simdays, well, that's what the Simlogical move plant is for!

OH WAIT!!! I'll teleport in the whole Silverberg family and make a social occasion out of his parents talking to both Sorcha and Jrie so I can pretend his parents are making the apprenticeship arrangements for their son BEFORE I use the move plant! biggrin

Gosh, it's going to be real interesting to find out who the daily first customer will be (or if it'll get more random) once I move the kid in, and I'm going to have to change his name...Leo?! Um, I don't think so...I like Levakh instead.

Has anything like this ever happened to any of you?

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Whose Story is This? Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
and Bruja, yeah you wanna go on and slap me for not theming my Townies, go right ahead, because I was actually thinking about it again today (MacSimFinder can make it a little easier, plus enough of them are already dressed OK and have the right heads since I populated the hood with a Skins folder that has custom skins in it)....

No, I'm not. After I discovered how difficult it was to theme Townies, etc. on a mac, I got very sympathetic that you can't do my favourite sim thing, which is populating a whole new hood to see what the game can make out of an all theme skins collection. And I still haven't figured out exactly how to make good use of the sample Townie you sent me from your game. Forgive me, for I'm still letting my unconscious roll that around.

I haven't had the situation you describe with an away lot child, but without the SOW hack, whenever I had kids in the hood, there was always one who showed up alone to visit other families. Usually not one of my favourite children, and I think it was always a boy. Showed up when kids should have been at school if anyone in the family I was playing was at home. Like a kid who missed the school bus, or an adult taking a day off work.

Yersinia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose Story is This? Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
No, I'm not. After I discovered how difficult it was to theme Townies, etc. on a mac, I got very sympathetic that you can't do my favourite sim thing, which is populating a whole new hood to see what the game can make out of an all theme skins collection. And I still haven't figured out exactly how to make good use of the sample Townie you sent me from your game. Forgive me, for I'm still letting my unconscious roll that around.

Well, theming Townies on a Mac is still a serious pain in the butt since I can't just remove the unwanted Maxis BMPs which are hiding out in game fars/repopulate with custom skins only, and, since that means there's no way I can ever just populate a theme hood and only get themed Townies, I still have to decide what clothes and/or heads to put on those who need it and for those who need new heads, I need to make a list of them with their character files to open up in Snooper. BUT -- since that last time a few months ago that we discussed the idea of theming my Townies, I also talked about it with my Pack Rat, and in our usual style -- me being the Simmer telling him, the programmer, what it has to do, him writing the Unix scripts and me testing it -- we came up with a program I call MacSimFinder. I know, we should probably take the time to package it up and release it for other Mac Simmers (we made it back in April!), but we haven't gotten around to that yet.

What MacSimFinder does is provide a list, alphabetical by name, of all the individual sims in whichever UserData/Characters folder I choose (the program directs you to specify), with their "User000xx.iff" files next to the names -- so if I'm looking for a particular sim who needs a bodystring edit, I don't have to open up every single frickin character file in the folder like I used to have to do, searching out which one is his or hers (remember when I refused to theme my Townies because of THAT?) So now once I get the unthemed Townie's name, I open up MacSimFinder and look up the character file quickly. Of course I still do have to pause the game to get the unthemed Townie's name to look up, and I have to run Sim Show to get the skin filenames I want to put in the bodystring, but MacSimFinder does take the absolute worst part of the work out of it (short of writing down skin filenames from Sim Show). While I was last playing in Khiret, I was taking down Tourist names and used MacSimFinder to find them for theming, and actually did it -- all of Khiret's Tourists, at least, got themed -- any sim in Khiret who goes on Migration (to Vacation Island) will not encounter outworlders of any kind! Still took a couple of days though.

So MacSimFinder is why, this past week, while playing in Aliset using the shop sign which brings in away lot sims and seeing that some, but not all, were themed, I started at least thinking about theming them again...I did put a visitor controller in at Sorcha and Jrie's, too, so when anyone showed up improperly dressed (some do, some don't), I made them change clothes at least. But I'd still have to get the names of the ones who are wearing hats and glasses, and pick out new heads for them to theme them correctly. Right now I'm still not in the mood, though -- I guess I'll have to wait to see enough seriously out of place customers to p*ss me off big time sufficiently to motivate me to do it. As of the last couple days, my only desire to do anything creator-like has been in object hacking, though.

Quote:
I haven't had the situation you describe with an away lot child, but without the SOW hack, whenever I had kids in the hood, there was always one who showed up alone to visit other families. Usually not one of my favourite children, and I think it was always a boy. Showed up when kids should have been at school if anyone in the family I was playing was at home. Like a kid who missed the school bus, or an adult taking a day off work.

laugh

Well, the shop sign continued to write this particular story for me. Remember when I said I got the idea to teleport in the rest of the kid's family so his parents could meet/talk to Sorcha and Jrie, and I could pretend they were discussing the kid's apprenticeship? As soon as I went back to playing after that post, the sign brought the kid's father in (finally! a parent!), and it was fun playing it with him there. I mean I was getting a really serious charge out if it! Every time the kid talked to his father, all I could think of was that he was telling his father (after all those days he'd come alone), "See? Did I not tell you? Aren't their weavings beautiful? I want to be a weaver like M'reinaj Sorcha and M'renai Jrie when I grow up!"

I had Sorcha and Jrie close the shop a little on the early side/say goodbye to the rest of the customers so only the kid and his father stayed. It was sooo coool! But, since in an Akaren family, the mother rules the tent, I did teleport her in the next day, and the day after that, the whole family (the kid has a sister). At that point I was ready to have the kid spin some thread beside Sorcha, but when I selected him with the visitor controller, he couldn't use it. I guess I forgot to visitor enable the spinning wheel when I child enabled it LOL! But, no big deal, if I want the kid to spin some thread first so Sorcha and Jrie can decide he's got enough basic ability before they take him in, I think I have the visitor enabler installed, I'll have a look. If not, it's still OK. I can either install it when I shut down to give the kid and his family Akaren names, or visitor enable/reinstall the spinning wheel. Mmmmm, come to think of it, I should check on all my "apprentice" objects like that to see if they're visitor enabled...

Mom and Dad had to have their clothes changed (I did it with the visitor controller) -- so Mom became a beautiful Akaren woman (she got a good head from the get-go apparently). Dad could use a new head, but he's not wearing a baseball cap or glasses, and the sister was OK. I'll be giving them all Akaren names (and maybe a new head for the father) when I shut down to go in and change the kid's name. I'll just use MacSimFinder to find 'em for me.

~Yersinia.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose Story is This? Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
[
we came up with a program I call MacSimFinder. I know, we should probably take the time to package it up and release it for other Mac Simmers (we made it back in April!), but we haven't gotten around to that yet.

What MacSimFinder does is provide a list, alphabetical by name, of all the individual sims in whichever UserData/Characters folder I choose (the program directs you to specify), with their "User000xx.iff" files next to the names -- so if I'm looking for a particular sim who needs a bodystring edit, I don't have to open up every single frickin character file in the folder like I used to have to do, searching out which one is his or hers

~Yersinia.

While you're at it, says the old systems designer, get a little more bang for your effort by making MacSimFinder sort by surname, given name, and character number. SE3D gives the choice, and I find it very useful.

Love reading your adventures. smile

Yersinia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose Story is This? Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
While you're at it, says the old systems designer, get a little more bang for your effort by making MacSimFinder sort by surname, given name, and character number. SE3D gives the choice, and I find it very useful.

If I knew where the game actually keeps the surnames, I could tell my Pack Rat it's time to upgrade MacSimFinder (this is information I already know he'd need). It already lists given names and character numbers. smile

Quote:
Love reading your adventures. smile

Thanks. How about a couple of pictures? wink

~Yersinia.

ae`Kath_1_0087.jpg
 Description:
Mother's approval when her son says he wants to be a weaver. (Father just bought something for 48 simoleons, so he's there too).
 Filesize:  59.78 KB
 Viewed:  8257 Time(s)

ae`Kath_1_0087.jpg

ae`Kath_1_0088.jpg
 Description:
Business is good today!
 Filesize:  60.91 KB

ae`Kath_1_0088.jpg

ae`Kath_1_0089.jpg
 Description:
Mother arranging her son's weaving apprenticeship with Sorcha and Jrie at lastmeal.
 Filesize:  35.73 KB

ae`Kath_1_0089.jpg

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stories are great, and I love the look of your Akaren hoods.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
The stories are great, and I love the look of your Akaren hoods.

Thanks! Oh, and the adventure continues... biggrin

ae`Kath_1_0090.jpg
 Description:
Sorcha teaching Levakh to spin ah'shret wool into tikrah...
 Filesize:  55.5 KB
 Viewed:  8231 Time(s)

ae`Kath_1_0090.jpg

ae`Kath_1_0091.jpg
 Description:
Ahhh, the child has some small talent!
 Filesize:  55.95 KB
 Viewed:  8231 Time(s)

ae`Kath_1_0091.jpg

Yersinia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, this just keeps getting better and better! Here's a couple more pictures of the apprenticeship in progress, and, a special bonus: apparently the rest of Letakh's family hasn't yet started on their journey back to Ce'shali (their home village) -- Miya his sister and Latav his father came to visit him! (note to Bruja: Miya was generated totally in theme, but yes, I fixed Father's head when I had to be in there to give them their Akaren names)....

ae`Kath_1_0093.jpg
 Description:
Sorcha teaches Levakh to use the loom...
 Filesize:  48.4 KB
 Viewed:  8215 Time(s)

ae`Kath_1_0093.jpg

ae`Kath_1_0094.jpg
 Description:
Jrie continues the lessons.
 Filesize:  54.61 KB

ae`Kath_1_0094.jpg

ae`Kath_1_0095.jpg
 Description:
The Caoileann (Sorcha's mother) joins them for lastmeal...
 Filesize:  35.42 KB

ae`Kath_1_0095.jpg

ae`Kath_1_0097.jpg
 Description:
Miya and Levakh
 Filesize:  18.64 KB

ae`Kath_1_0097.jpg

ae`Kath_1_0100.jpg
 Description:
Latav pays a visit also.
 Filesize:  21.12 KB

ae`Kath_1_0100.jpg

ae`Kath_1_0101.jpg
 Description:
Jrie assures Latav that his son is a fine apprentice thus far.
 Filesize:  22.69 KB

ae`Kath_1_0101.jpg

KarinL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures!!

I did at one point find out how to change the random names list that the game uses when generating Townies, etc. - there are STR# resources for that in Live.iff (part of the UserData).

My guess is that Neighborhood.iff is the place where the game keeps track of the families - last name, which members belong to it, etc.
But I haven't figured out how to read that information, or how the User.iff connects to the Neighborhood.iff...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great story and even better pics! Where did you get that LOOM? I've been looking for it for a while and links aree dead ends!
Yersinia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarinL wrote:
Great pictures!!

I did at one point find out how to change the random names list that the game uses when generating Townies, etc. - there are STR# resources for that in Live.iff (part of the UserData).

1. Glad you like the pics, Karin -- do you remember Sorcha and Jrie at all? Yes, they're in a new house now (their lot corrupted a couple days ago), but Sorcha and Jrie were originally my Lady Luck challenge sims!

2. You mean the first names too? I found out in another thread) that you can change the last names of the Tourists (so you can probably also change the last names of Townie and Strange) to something else in live.iff -- and I did that for Khiret's Tourists (whose first names I changed in IFF Snooper in their character files when I themed them), but in the teleporter they still had the game's last names for Tourists. Then I found out that to actually get your customized last names in live.iff to show up in the game (say, if you want to teleport one of those sims in and see his new last name in the teleporter, you have to boot up and populate a new hood, and when the hood populates, the away lot sims whose last names you changed, will have the last names you gave them. Thing is this -- I finslly played back most of the relationships in Khiret, it took me a couple of DAYS to theme those Tourists in terms of choosing their new skins, editing their bodystrings and changing their first names, so, I do NOT want to lose what I did with them by repopulating a new hood, and, having played the Khiret sims back to their former relationships after having split up the old As'ral hood -- I don't want to have to start THAT all over again by importing them into a new hood.. The only things IMO that justify opening new hoods or importing sims elsewhere are splitting up an overpopulated hood and fixing a bolloxed game or hood.

Now, I can and probably will go into Live.iff and change all the rest of the away lot sims' last names so when I have a good reason to open up a new hood, the away lot sims who populate in will have Akaren clan names as last names -- and I'll check on that in live.iff for first names too, but I shudder to think of opening up new hoods for my present sims.

Quote:
My guess is that Neighborhood.iff is the place where the game keeps track of the families - last name, which members belong to it, etc. But I haven't figured out how to read that information, or how the User.iff connects to the Neighborhood.iff...

I just popped into a Neighborhood.iff and I see what you mean!
surprise jfade's psycho

Well looks like MacSimFinder isn't getting updated any time soon...but it really doesn't need it anyway. As long as I have the first name of the sim, I can find his or her character file really fast, and I can generate spontaneous printable full lists of current up-to-date accurate contents of the Characters folders (first names with User000xx.iff's) for any hood, which I could even print out if I wanted to. Um, hm, wait, that might help if I want to change all the first names of away lot sims in live. iff -- I can sit down with a characters folder printout and a couple of my Gene 4.3.4 reports (chock full of Akaren names), and write down the Akaren names I want to change the game names to. I know, it'll do me no good until I open a new hood, but when that time comes it'll be ready.

riobob64 wrote:
This is a great story and even better pics! Where did you get that LOOM? I've been looking for it for a while and links aree dead ends!

Riobob -- glad you like the story! smile About the loom -- I usually suck at WCIFs, but in this one instance I actually do remember, and have bookmarked, the site I got the loom from. It's from Hooty Holler:

http://moonsims.asi.org/minthasgarden/sims1/index.html

Oh, and here's a couple last pictures, too... smile

~Yersinia.

ae`Kath_1_0105.jpg
 Description:
Firstmeal...
 Filesize:  34.5 KB
 Viewed:  8182 Time(s)

ae`Kath_1_0105.jpg

ae`Kath_1_0107.jpg
 Description:
Latav and Miya are back again!
 Filesize:  22.37 KB
 Viewed:  8182 Time(s)

ae`Kath_1_0107.jpg

riobob64

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Leaning Loom is just not there sad

Funny how I have so many cool downloads, but my favorite is the one I can't find! I'm interested in your Tents too. Maybe I have a new syndrome called, "Content Envy" ?? I'm becoming a good candidate for a 12 step program for downloaders
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose Story is This? Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
bruja wrote:

If I knew where the game actually keeps the surnames, I could tell my Pack Rat it's time to upgrade MacSimFinder (this is information I already know he'd need). It already lists given names and character numbers. smile

~Yersinia.

I've been trying to find the surname register for some time. I'll keep looking.

mtaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Live.iff

Tourist Family Names STR #160
Tourist Name - Male - Adult STR #161
Tourist Name - Female - Adult STR #162
Tourist Name - Male - Child STR #163
Tourist Name - Female - Child STR #164

Townies:
Datable NPC Name - Male STR #150
Datable NPC Name - Female STR #151
Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOH, Mtaman! Thank you! hug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: