Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

some pics from down under

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruthml

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: some pics from down under Reply with quote

well I have found some photos as I've been backing up - and thought, hey, you guys would probably like to see some pictures of Australia, right?

The first shows typical countryside in the north western part of New South Wales. I grew up in this area, although I lived in a country town in more farming area (think more cleared land, less trees). This was taken from a lookout point on the highway somewhere north of Tamworth, when my hubby & I were driving up north to Queensland to visit my brother and his family in July 2005. This is winter, hey. Frosts early morning in winter here. Hot dry summers.

The 2nd shows our famous kangaroos! These are taken in a reserve in Tamworth itself. I went to high school in Tamworth, it's a largeish country town, around 40,000 - which is large-ish in Australia, but small by US standards. You could get pretty close to them, but the big males are intimidating and not to be messed with.
ruthml

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr! I can't get the photos to upload in the order i want them, so I'll just have to do a few posts. This is a male 'roo. I believe these are western greys, a common species.

And here is an emu. Emus make me nervous. They are tall flightless birds, very inquisitive and can be quite dominating. These ones have been fenced off because they're not safe to be allowed to wander around freely with people walking around. I would not like to be pecked with that beak!
ruthml

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well Australia has lots of "big landmarks". We have the Big Banana, the Big Pineapple, the Big Prawn, the Big Oyster and the Big Merino for starters. Tamworth is the country music capital of Australia - there's a big festival every year in January - and yes, Tamworth has it's "big landmark" - the Golden Guitar.

Last edited by ruthml on Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ruthml

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is a typical photo of farmland around Toowoomba in Queensland where my brother lives. Note the red soil for the area and the gum tree. There's been a drought up my brother's way for a while now, so that's why it looks very dry. He is not a farmer - he works as a nurse in the intensive care unit of the local hospital.

Contrast that with the snow picture! This was taken about 3 years ago, down at the snowfields of NSW. Those are snow gums. No pine trees in this winter landscape!! In winter it snows in the Snowy Mountains (obviously!) which are in the southern part of New South Wales. This is a huge national park with one small country town, Jindabyne, and a few resorts. In summer people go there for bushwalking and fishing. It's about a 6 hour drive from Sydney. During ski season the road to the snow are jammed with traffic on Friday night/Sunday night as people drive down to ski for the weekend. - some real crazies racing to get there too I might add. We stayed in a trailer at a caravan park, which was the cheapest accommodation there and skiied at Perisher. Yup, the ski resort is called Perisher. It's a permanent reminder not to get lost up there!!
ruthml

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the view from the top of Mount Perisher. This trip was the first time I ever went skiing. I took the ski lift up to the top to admire the view, fell off the ski lift in a very ungraceful manner trying to get off it, and took the ski lift back down. No skiing down for me! I could barely stop. :lol:
You can just see the Perisher Resort lodges at the foot of the mountain. I know this is not as impressive as say, northern hemisphere mountains with snow. The view however, was superb - the photo doesn't do it justice, but those mountains stretched on forever.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great pcitures, ruth. I love to see places that I'm thinking of visiting.

The snow picture reminds me of the early snows here, with the area under trees bare because no wind has filled in the protected area, and the weather in the day time is warm enough to start thawing the snow almost immediately.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures! They're wonderful!

Hey, I got pecked by an emu once. It felt like being beaned by a baseball. :lol:
ruthml

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch Mars!! sooner you than me!!

anyway, I decided to post a few more.

This rather drab landscape is the Mt Panorama racing track at Bathurst, on the central tablelands of NSW - about 4 hours drive west of Sydney. It is famous historically for being the first major settlement established after the Blue Mountains were crossed. (Ok, quick history lesson here. For a few decades the early settlers of Sydney were hemmed in by the Blue Mountains. No exploration. No expansion. No one could figure out how to cross these mountains until the 3 explorers Blaxland, Wentworth & Lawson, managed to find away over the mountains in 1813, thus opening up the rest of NSW to exploration and settlement. Bathurst was the first settlement/town established on the other side of the mountains and the first highway in Australia was built to go there - using convict labour of course.) Bathurst is primarily an agricultural country city, but Mt Panorama is a famous racing track in Australia with some big race held every October. The track is open to the public when it's not a race day and the public can drive on it, although there are speed limits - so you are not supposed to floor it!

And what were we doing on it? Well we had driven to Bathurst for my husband to have his birthday present joyflight in a jet fighter plane! This was in 2004. It was an extra special birthday present - one he will remember all his life. I remember it was a miserable day, as the weather shows. We drove all the way there only to discover the flight had been cancelled due to poor weather in Sydney. The pilot lived in Sydney you see, and regularly flew out from a domestic airport in Sydney to Bathurst. He couldn't get off the ground due to the bad weather conditions. So we had to arrange the joyflight for another weekend. The 2nd time he flew us there in his little Cessna so we didn't have to make the road trip again. (oh, I really don't like flying in such tiny planes either!!)

Unfortunately the pilot was killed in a crash last month. It was really upsetting to read about it in the news. He was so nice to us. What a terrible tragedy.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=75756
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(oh, I really don't like flying in such tiny planes either!!)

I don't find small planes (with a professional pilot!) any more scary than being driven on the highway by anybody except my husband.

Now that scheduled commercial flight has become such a major inconvenience, if I had the money I'd fly only by private charter. There's a wonderful luxurious feeling to knowing that the flight is not going to leave without you if you're caught in traffic. cool:

I remember one private flight I was on, travelling from northern Ontario to Toronto in mid-winter. The weather was closing in on all the airports between our departure city and Toronto. Half an hour north of Toronto, only Toronto was open - and our departure point. The pilot asked me where I wanted to divert to if Toronto socked in. Some of my options were Montreal, Boston, and Lexington, Kentucky. Pretty nice, compared to being shoved hither and yon by an airline. :roll:

We did manage to land in Toronto, though. It was only scary during the few minutes we were coming down blind through the snow - emerging to see the runway 10 feet below us.
ruthml

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some more pics I found on the camera. This is taken at the central coast of NSW, about 1 hour north of Sydney. I live only 2 mins walk from this lake and 10mins drive from the beaches.

The pics show my 2 dogs - a female pyranean mountain dog Analise, and a male lab cross (crossed with a dalmation we think), Benton. He was found as a 4 month old pup dumped on our street. He had worms and kennel cough so he needed some fixing up, as well as puppy schooling! (The older dog was very capable at teaching him not to bite.) He has proved to be a most lovable dog, very friendly, affectionate and loyal. He's about 18 months old now. The Pyreanean is a senior - she is 10 which is very elderly for the breed (the breed only lives to 10-12 years.) She's still in good health but for some arthritis in the hips but she still wants to go for a walk. The walk to the lake and back is the comfortable distance for her condition.

The lake is only about 2 mins walk from the house, there's a reserve you can walk along - people's houses back onto it. Benton, loves the water and often goes swimming in it. It was a bit of a dull day though when I took the photos so he only galloped in the shallows. The pyranean, Analise, on the other hand, detests water - she's been clipped for summer in the lake photos, hence the shaved look. Every day you see many water birds, including pelicans and swans. I believe the lake is brackish. I really don't think there's much in the way of fish there, well not at this end anyway. The prawns are starting to run at this time of year though which is attracting more pelicans.

The lady in the photo is my mother-in-law, Margaret. She is a dog lover and spoils them rotten, ie they sleep on her bed - which doesn't leave much room for her!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Scrapbook All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: