Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oval rug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubblvicous

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Oval rug Reply with quote

I'm trying to make an oval rug using the Maxis oval rug base but I'm come across 2 problems. The first being that when I piece the sprites back together on a new new image they don't line up right. At first I thought it was me but then I looked at the rug itself in Tmog and saw that, that is how the rug is. Will this affect the new rug image? My second problem is that I'm not really to sure how to unscew the rug so I can get the correct angles for the new rug. Are the angles the same for a round or oval rug as the square ones? Thank you for your help again lol smile:

pieced together.jpg
 Description:
see those gaps will that affect the new rug?
 Filesize:  16.06 KB
 Viewed:  4119 Time(s)

pieced together.jpg

ruthml

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, those little gaps in that braided rug has always annoyed me! It just seems sloppy work to have left them in there!!

I would fix those gaps first to make a new rug base. You need to export your cloned rug with the "just recolour" option unchecked, and instead ticking the "All Channels, One zoom" option. This will give you access to the A, P & Z sprites.

Then open up all the P sprites & copy and paste them into a new working file in your graphics program that's large enough to fit all the pieces in comfortably. (Make sure the magic wand tool you use to select the pieces has anti-aliasing turned OFF.)

Move all the pieces together to make the rug. Then colour in those gaps. Ie, select the layer of one piece of rug that has the gap and pencil in the gap to fill it. Then select the layer of another piece of rug that has a gap, and fill that in. What you fill it in with doesn't matter - it can be any colour. Then when all the gaps are fixed, copy and paste the pieces of rug that have you "mended" back into their respective P sprites. Line the new piece of rug over the existing one - it will be a perfect match of course except for the extra bit you just added. Then save the file as a working file, then convert it to Index mode (photoshop) or whatever it is in PaintshopPro (8 bit colour?) and save as a bmp.

Now the new bmp P sprite for that piece of rug is going to be the template for the A & Z sprites. Use the magic wand to select the background of the P sprite. Copy and paste that outline into the respective A & Z sprites for that piece of rug. If you use Photoshop you will need to change the mode from Index to Greyscale. Click to select the new outline and make the background black if itís the A sprites, and pure white if itís the Z sprite. Invert the selection and fill in the gap with white if itís the A sprite or grey if itís the Z sprite. Just use the eyedropper tool to pick up the shade of grey close to the gap and then paint it in.

Merge the layer to flatten it with the original layer and save the bmp. If youíre a photoshop user, thereís no need to change it back to Index mode you can save it in greyscale mode.

Import back into Tmog and you should now have a new rug base which has no gaps. Now you can clone that, as the new base for your recoloured rug.

As far as skewing goes I donít know if thereís a specific percentage value to turn a round rug into an oval. I do these things by eye anyway. I have found this helps: Position your round rug over the top of the oval rug. Then turn down the opacity a bit on the round rug so you can see the oval rug underneath. Then scale it/skew it until itís the correct shape for the oval rug template. Perhaps someone else has a better way.

You will have to fill in the semi-transparent pixels that result from the skewing/scaling process. Duplicating the new layer several times and merging them will fill in the pixels. PSP users have the Push tool which does the job well as long as you zoom right in and are patient enough to go over the entire area so you donít miss any. The edges might also need a little erasing to trim them. If you select the background of the original oval rug, then click on the new rug layer you can erase around the edge to get the exact shape. Also after any scaling/skewing, apply the sharpen tool (set a low strength Ė around 5%). After that you then cut up the rug into pieces for each P sprite as per usual.

I hope this helps. If any of this is not clear, please ask for clarification!
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skewing angles should be the same as a rectanglar/square rug yes.

As Ruth pointed out if your rug is round it'll need additional squishin'-and-squashin' to turn it into an oval but the skewing angles for things are pretty much all the same to get form a head-on view to a sims appropriate view.

bubblvicous

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ruth and Raeven. I think I can figure it out now. I have to say though I've never been more tempted to get rug o matic before in my life lol :grin:
ruthml

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know it's a bit of extra work, but once you have remade that braided rug and "mended" the holes, you now have a great base for oval rugs!

does Rugomatic do rugs with curved eges? I thought it only did straight edged rugs. I never paid for the full version so I am very ignorant of it.
bubblvicous

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I really don't know. I thought rug o matic used all the rugs that maxis made as bases. Well I did what you said Ruth and now I do have a nice oval rug base but I decided that this set that I'm working on would look better with a square rug after all lol. But I'm going to try and make an oval rug tomorrow just to see if I can.
aimi13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Does anyone have a recommendation for the rug or neoprene? Any other material suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: