Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacements for Cars+Buses for Medieval/Lotr Hoods
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Suggestion Box- A Wish List ONLY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandycat13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Replacements for Cars+Buses for Medieval/Lotr Hoods Reply with quote

Would it be possible for someone to make more suitable replacements for the cars and buses in a Medieval/Lotr neighborhood. idea
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vehicles are probably pretty complex (to model or draw).

I'm a bit surprised there are none available already. Perhaps it's because you can't confine the default car to a single neighborhood. When you replace the taxi with another vehical it'll show up in all neighborhoods.

mtaman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a paysite http://www.scoobysims.co.uk/ that has some horse and carriage replacements.
peter9g

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to make a theme neighbourhood-specific set of cars you need a car portal that can recognize the theme neigbourhood. One way would be to use a small separate decorative theme object and test for the presence of this object to activate the theme-specific code.

The regular list that matches the job types to car GUIDs to create a car is in BHAV 4106 of CarPortal.iff. Once you have the code to switch from default cars to theme cars you can make a new BHAV with a similar list but using the theme vehicle GUIDs.

This sort of hacking is a medium-sized project -- making all the vehicles is another story!
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the theme the sim could be instructed to walk off of the lot instead. No need to worry about car graphics :)

That's something I've put off trying because I wasn't sure how the carportal worked and if it'd be doable without distributing a hacked carportal.I figured walking to community lots would be a good first step (erk no un intended) but carpools and schoolbuses scare the b'jeebers out of me smile

peter9g

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified the car portal to use some more cars when I was looking at CARR resources - that way I could make a job that used a unique car without changing any of the other car assignments.

Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's neat!
Are you able to add careers or are you replacing existing ones?

peter9g

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an added career. I have a couple of extra CARR resources in a modified work.iff file.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter9g wrote:
This was an added career. I have a couple of extra CARR resources in a modified work.iff file.

Peter!! Did you just say you added a career to your game??????? Curiously, how were you able to do this, being on Mac, when the Career Creator program is PC only? Someone (you?) made a Mac version of CareerCreator?????? biggrin

:::::faints:::::

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
peter9g

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disassembled work.iff, duplicated an existing CARR resource as CARR 22 and edited the values:
[img]
http://homepage.mac.com/petergould/IFFS/Details/AquaCARR-1.jpg
[/img]

Then I made a custom dresser to assign the Sims to the new job levels that I wanted to test.

A full implementation of additional careers is a lot more work since you'd have to edit all the papers, computers, car portals, etc to test for the new job option. For most purposes it's easier just to take a pre-existing career that doesn't interest you and edit it. The various text messages that you see when a Sim comes home are in CarPortal.iff.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter9g wrote:
I disassembled work.iff, duplicated an existing CARR resource as CARR 22 and edited the values:
[img]
http://homepage.mac.com/petergould/IFFS/Details/AquaCARR-1.jpg
[/img]

Then I made a custom dresser to assign the Sims to the new job levels that I wanted to test.

A full implementation of additional careers is a lot more work since you'd have to edit all the papers, computers, car portals, etc to test for the new job option. For most purposes it's easier just to take a pre-existing career that doesn't interest you and edit it. The various text messages that you see when a Sim comes home are in CarPortal.iff.

Wow, I'm impressed! That's way too complicated for me to feel "safe" to try, but the next time I get brave, there are two career tracks I don't use for any of my sims at all (Circus and Paranormal), so it'd be great to turn them into Akaren "career" tracks. (Heck, then my sim Nurik could actually be a hunter!) I also trust that I could change some of the job titles in the tracks which are otherwise OK? Like get rid of Captain America as the top of the line in Law Enforcement, for instance! None of my human sims use that line, but I have an Akaren sim who does. On that note, Politics could use a makeover in my game too, for the same reason.

You know, if I hadn't blown up my game with the school (or at least didn't still have a lasting repercussion in one last house, one that didn't even have the school!), well, my foray into head changing went so well, thanks to Raeven's tip that it could be done, and of course your terrific help, I might have been ready for my next "experiment" by now, too -- and this career editing sounds just the thing! Well, we'll see if I ever get brave again! laugh

That's really cool what you did though, and BTW I love that blue VW bus. My sim Clark has an orange one, but it's parked in his driveway, he doesn't go to work in it.

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
sandycat13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had come up with any new ideas on transport after all this time. whistle
Oreocreme

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a PC and am planning to use Career Creator to create a student career for a university neighborhood I am building. I am going to make over the paranormal career track to do this, and thought it would be cool to change the transport vehicle to a small shuttle bus that I downloaded instead of the cars used by the paranormal track. I just assumed I would be able to do it, but after reading all this, I am starting to wonder if it will be more complex than I thought. Can anyone tell me?
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have my had at some carrages. Perhaps even some magic flying clouds or carts of dragons too? What exactly do you want replaced?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
peter9g

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreocreme wrote:
I use a PC and am planning to use Career Creator to create a student career for a university neighborhood I am building. I am going to make over the paranormal career track to do this, and thought it would be cool to change the transport vehicle to a small shuttle bus that I downloaded instead of the cars used by the paranormal track. I just assumed I would be able to do it, but after reading all this, I am starting to wonder if it will be more complex than I thought. Can anyone tell me?

The simplest way is to edit the CarPortal.iff to use a different vehicle.
This code fragment from BHAV 4106, Create Car
shows where you need to change the GUID reference for individual vehicles.

Code:

[1A] :  0  2: 1C 1B:  0  1:  0  A:  2  0: 1A  0:   Equals?   
[..]                                      My Attribute[1]
[..]                                      Constant Value : 10
[..]                                   // BCON 4096, 10 [Car Types]
[1B] :  0 2A: FF  7: 76 FE: 14 78: 20  6:  0  0:   Create NewObject Instance
[..]                                      out of world (put new object id in stack object)
[..]                                      GUID = 147876FE
[..]                                      create as normal
[1C] :  0  2: 15 1D:  0  1:  0  B:  2  0: 1A  0:   Equals?   
[..]                                      My Attribute[1]
[..]                                      Constant Value : 11
[..]                                   // BCON 4096, 11 [Car Types]
[1D] :  0 2A: FF  7: 76 88: 6F BE: 20  6:  0  0:   Create NewObject Instance
[..]                                      out of world (put new object id in stack object)
[..]                                      GUID = 6FBE7688
[..]                                      create as normal

In the regular game
Car Type 10 = Circus Car, GUID = 147876FE
Car Type 11 = Clown Car, GUID = 6FBE7688

-------------------------------

If you change the car type code so that code line 1D creates a shuttle bus, then everytime the regular game creates a clown car your game will create a shuttle bus. Things get a bit more awkward if you want to change the car type code for a more common car like the junker (car type 7), because the CarPortal.iff code as written always generates the same car
for a given car type code. So if you want to replace the junker with the shuttle bus for the paranormal career only you have to add some more lines to CarPortal.iff BHAV 4106

Either add a new check to the part of the code dealing with car type 7, testing for which job the car is needed

or

add a new car type for the shuttle bus, edit the paranormal CARR resource to use your new car type, and edit CarPortal.iff BHAV 4106 to recognize the extra car type.

This shows how to add extra car types to CARR resources on the Mac. If anyone is interested in making a new CarPortal.iff that use extra car types, I can upload a work.iff file with some modified CARR resources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Suggestion Box- A Wish List ONLY All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: