Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A band (solved) thanks peter9g
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Suggestion Box- A Wish List ONLY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not, I imagine the kids could be confined to the two familiar instruments. When not performing those are the two types you'll see them practicing on, after all.

Will there be room, do you think, for this items to pay players by the hour/gig? (I began asking this as an everyday money making object, but it'd also make a sweet addition to the Studio Town objects.)

Also, how are you handling solo vs group playing? Does it require all four players or can other Sims join in as they are moved to (yay jam sessions)?
purplewowies

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids don't float when they play this trumpet:

http://www.somesimthings.com/Skill/02Skill.htm

This keyboard/piano (almost all the way down the page) doesn't make kids float (but it's because they're sitting down):

http://cambouisfr.free.fr/downloads_regular.htm

The only problems in a band situation are the piano/keyboard is big (and the person's sitting down, if you have a problem with that) and there's a music stand with the trumpet.

I believe both sites allow editing/cloning and redistributing of their objects, so if someone wanted to edit the looks (and the code as well) of the objects, it'd probably be okay.
peter9g

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riobob64 wrote:
Hmmmmm, Is a step stool do-able for the kids? Sure wud be cool to live out my "I'm the Youngest Partridge Fantasy". Very cool project!

It is doable, but I have not got the dimensions right yet:

This picture shows a double sized step stool but the kid is still standing behind it (plus it needs to be turned 90 degrees).

Last edited by peter9g on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
peter9g

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplewowies wrote:
Kids don't float when they play this trumpet:

http://www.somesimthings.com/Skill/02Skill.htm

The reason the kids float when they play the band trumpet and keyboard is that they use the adult TSO animations, which anchor the kid hip at adult hip level. Most of the drum animations are sitting down so the hip placement is OK. The guitar animations come from Livin' Large which has proper kid equivalents for the adult animations.
peter9g

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:

Will there be room, do you think, for this items to pay players by the hour/gig? (I began asking this as an everyday money making object, but it'd also make a sweet addition to the Studio Town objects.)

Also, how are you handling solo vs group playing? Does it require all four players or can other Sims join in as they are moved to (yay jam sessions)?

The original TSO band object was a job object, so it is possible to earn money for a job well done - that is one of the code sections I am working on at the moment.

The object can be played by one to four Sims, since there are four instruments. I haven't written any social boost code yet, but it is a good idea right now for Sims to join the band rather than listen. This is because the "play instrument" code comes from the Maxis guitar code, so tester Sims need to have fairly high creative points before another Sim will enjoy listening to them! This should not be a problem for NPC band members ...
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a wish list.........

I mightily covet a band that sims could use together.

But I'd have no objections if there were a spinoff object of an NPC band smile Or a jazz combo, or any other similar object.

I don't know the TSO object. Does it always have the same instruments, one of each?

J_Fanning

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
I love the work you are doing on this, thumbsup and hope you are able to get it working! The pictures you've posted show are great, and it would be a wonderful addition to our game! As I had not seen it before either, I dying to try it out when it's available!
Must say I am with Raeven and Bruja. yes I'd love to see it as a everyday money making object, or as spinoff object of an NPC band! They would be a wonderful additions to any of the areas in the game...Studio Town, Downtown, Community Lots, Vacation Island, etc. laugh
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original TSO object was, as Peter mentioned, a money making machine. TSO approached money making a little differently than the original game. There were several single user objects (like the easel) that worked the way we'd expect but had the added bonus of giving an increased payout if multiple stations were used at once (indicating a factory, I guess. It was incentive for people to gather together and coordinate)

Group Money Maker machines were mini games. The Band was (if I recall properly) "Simon". Each instrument's payout was higher if the associated skill was higher. I forget what the skills associated with each was, I just remember the grumbling debate about whether drums should be mechanics or body skill (most of my playing was in Beta testing and for a while when it first went live so things changed a bit during play). I always played trumpet ... with my forehead.

With the original TSO version it was always one of each of the same four instruments. Peter always seems to work very hard at preserving as much of the original object as possible so I suspect it'll be the same with this one, but I imagine on clones the trumpet could be changed out for other instruments quite easily if one has the prop and animations (the UL sax, for instance).

Quote:
This is because the "play instrument" code comes from the Maxis guitar code, so tester Sims need to have fairly high creative points before another Sim will enjoy listening to them!

LOL The neighbor sims must be loving this household!
Did you leave the skill building in for practicing or is it more akin (from the outside, not the innards) to the karaoke stage?
(If my questions are distracting give me a "wait and see" response. I tend to jabber about works in progress, but then I'm pretty flaky. I can easily see how it would be uncomfortable for more focused people.)
peter9g

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:

Did you leave the skill building in for practicing or is it more akin (from the outside, not the innards) to the karaoke stage?

(If my questions are distracting give me a "wait and see" response. I tend to jabber about works in progress, but then I'm pretty flaky. I can easily see how it would be uncomfortable for more focused people.)

The Sims play their instruments and gain creativity points using the Maxis guitar code as a base. There is a smart tile with several attributes to keep track of which instruments are in use, and whether the Sims were successful at the song game. The original TSO object relied heavily on plug-in code for the song game so I have not attempted to implement anything similar, just a random chance of "win/lose" conditions that trigger pushed interactions in the TSO code. I'm still rewriting this part.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG...if my sim Torias could be part of a real band in his recording studio.... desire yesss

Peter! notworthy

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Aaron_of_Mpls

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice equipment! (Dare I even ask where it's all from...)

By the way, where's the end table clutter in picture 103 from? (The stapler, tape dispenser, and the other object partly hidden by the ceiling light.)

Yersinia

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron_of_Mpls wrote:
Nice equipment! (Dare I even ask where it's all from...)

By the way, where's the end table clutter in picture 103 from? (The stapler, tape dispenser, and the other object partly hidden by the ceiling light.)

No, I wouldn't recommend you dare ask ME where I get my sim stuffies anymore. My memory was only minimally functional on that at best -- now, it's a real crapshoot! I remember my favorite sites in general, but usually not where all the individual objects come from, with few exceptions (like, I do happen to recall I got the toilet bush which is indispensible to my theme game/sims who live in the woods from a place called Aaron's Sims or something like that laugh). IF anyone else recognizes the stuffies in Torias's studio, hopefully they'll know where they came from. I THINK the clutter you mention is from Nighttime Sims (just opened the file, the creator is zzziana, I think that's Nighttime Sims) but I can't promise.

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
Loopy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That specific clutter is from zzz's 'Sim Gypsy' site. Here'e the link tothe yahoo Site if you don't have it-- http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sim_Gypsy_Host1/ and I think it's in the GenX file.
Raeven

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds outstanding, Peter!
I'm so looking forward to it clap
lilac_sim

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job peter, i love it when new items come out that we can do new things with!

Can't wait to see who it is in game and good solution to the child being in air, as they get the step out for the telephone don't them! smile

Can't wait! thumbsup notworthy

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lilacsmaximatchers
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lilacsthemesforsims1
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/lilacshistoricalsims
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Suggestion Box- A Wish List ONLY All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: