Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Challenge: Make a Knight Tonight!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Challenge: Make a Knight Tonight! Reply with quote

Make A Knight Challenge

As the year winds down to cold and darkness, it's time for all the knights errant to stop wandering about the countryside smiting dragons, who are about to hibernate anyway, and return to the coziness of Simalot for the long winter of feasting and carousing.

You are challenged to Make A Knight to join our festivities. (If you're an experience skinner, this will take you a few minutes. If you've a novice, it's still a quick project.)

Simblesse Oblige provides the base bmp to get you started, and a mesh so that you can use your knight (and all the others submitted) in your game.

And we're adding a new twist to this challenge: mtaman has made a new and delightful object, which we are going to make available for download when enough knights reach Simalot.

Post your zip with bmp (and a text readme with creator information), and add a jpg with a sceenshot or preview pic if you wish. When enough of you have pitched in, we'll post the goodie for everyone.

Last edited by bruja on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For purely practical reasons (it's very difficult to tell the difference between a friend in helmet and armour, and an enemy likewise clad), the smarter knights wore surcoats, sometimes coloured or patterned, with a device - usually a big picture - on the chest.

For the purposes of this challenge, Simblesse Oblige is providing a base bmp for a knight wearing chainmail. The tunic surcoat is white and shaded, ready to be customized.

If you've never made a skin before, check out the Beginner's Skin Recolour Tutorial here:
http://www.simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=755,

and the Adding Skintones Tutorial here: http://www.simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=774
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are meshes in 3 body types for your knights (fat, skn, and mac version of fit courtesy of mtaman, from an original mesh by jerome of simfreaks).

All the mac meshes will also work in the pc game. However, many pc users will find that SimPose will NOt show a body mesh if the -PELVIS part of the skn name isn't included, so we have also provided the original jerome fit mesh for this purpose.

If necessary, you can put the -PELVIS part of the file name into the fat and skn meshes for use in SimPose.
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is a beginner level skinning project just like Scooter's apron?
My daughter wants to get started on skinning I'll have to pass this along to her (Assuming i can get the sims to actually WORK on her machine! ratzenfrazten!)

I think she'll really enjoy designing the surcoat (new word for me) as much as she will having a sim walking about in the game with a skin she's created herself. smile

eisbaer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great challange! Must we use this mesh or could we use other?
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you may use another mesh! Any mesh you like!

The mesh and bmp were provided to encourage members who had no skinning experience, so that everything they needed to know could be found in the 2 tutorials for beginners.
Ludic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my entry, which coordinates with the Medieval Restaurant and Bar set I am working on.
annettebrks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Ludic! I really like the colors. I'm looking forward to seeing what eisbaer comes up with. Sometime soon, I'll have to take the plunge. But the results may not be pretty. laugh
TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Ludic!clap

I'm getting ready to jump....afraid

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
annettebrks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I took the plunge. And it wasn't as painful as I thought. whistle The only booboo I made was... would you believe I put the emblem on the poor soul's back the first time around? laugh At least that was easy enough to straighten out!

Very simple - just a recolor, except for the addition of the emblem. Um... let's just consider this one of the poorer knights, shall we?

---Edited to remove zip - posted an updated version later---

Last edited by annettebrks on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annette, hunny bunny, you need to adjust the file name. The base BMP could be used for any body type or skin tone so it left that information out of it's file name and we have to remember put it in when we've settled on what we'll make.
sine_sim_fan

Location: Texas, dealing with my dad's estate and getting into ALL the permutations of The Sims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's my attempt .bmp and pic included in the zip, but no mesh, so that others can edit it to their system/size
TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you guys did it! They look great. clap I've been so busy with Stella and her throat and Gabe being trapped in the house by low temperatures, I haven't been able to do it yet. Also, we knocked the lid to a travel coffee cup into our dryer vent and one of the cats had an abcess in her cheek, so it's been a busy day or so...
I'm so glad everyone's joining in!

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
annettebrks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! That's what I get for rushing it through. Thanks for pointing it out to me, Raeven. All fixed now!

(Hey look, I'm a Hunny Bunny!) laugh hug

Oh, I really like sine_sim_fan's version! Well done! thumbsup
eisbaer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbsup You all make a great job! Ludik I realy enjoyed yours, with those shadows on the skirt it looks realy good and realistic. And Anette and sine_sims_fan I like your guys especially the patten from Sine's skirt but I realy think your guys needs some boots or shoes and not should run along in chain socks laugh wink

I am know ready with the meshing but don't have realy time to skin (this is what took me days rolleyes ) the only thing I managed was the shield texture. The sword it from HappySimz and the cloak it from Angelique Talkers.

greets
eisbaer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: