Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decorating Challenge: Renter's Dilemma
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Decorating Challenge: Renter's Dilemma Reply with quote

No Prize on this one but it's one I'm currently having fun with in my spare time.
Mr. Maxis the landlord is a very grumpy man and won't allow his renters to make any changes in his homes - not even paint. Yet they are absolutely hideous! Your challenge is to take an original Maxis Home and furnish it attractively to downplay the world's ugliest wallpapers, floors and other features.
You can't change anything, only add furniture. You may not change wallpaper or floors or landscaping. You may only add to it those things that can be easily removed when you leave such as furniture, curtains and potted plants or patio furniture outside. No build-ons!
If you're up to this challenge, please post a link to your Photobucket album or Picture Trail album here.
Mine will be up eventually.
Lyric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a challenge, but i'll give it a whirl. biggrin
pawlee1023

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting "challenge", to say the least biggrin .

Are we limited to Maxis houses from the original game (the Goths, the Newbies, or those default empty houses around Sim Lane - lots 1-10), or...

...can we choose a house from the Unleashed Expansion Pack (expanded Neighborhood view, including the Hicks, Claire Charming, Ginia Kat, Gunther and Cornelia Goth Sr., the Burbs, or any default empty house), or...

...can we choose a Maxis-made house/family from the BBS that players could download to the original empty house lots around Sim Lane (the Valentino House, the Maximus House, the Jones House, the Snooty Patooty House, or the Hatfield House)?

laugh

- Polly
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any residential house, whether inhabited or uninhabited, that came with the original game or one of the game expansions such as Unleashed only. Could also be a Magic Town residential house.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's mine. Allow me to say I HATED this challenge and wish I'd never suggested it because it's simply way too difficult. Maxis houses are just ... unfixable.
I furnished the Walden Estate at 54 Ridge Road and it didn't even have a railing on one side of the upstairs balcony. My sim had to add some plants to keep from accidentally falling off.
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/Eradia/landlord%20challenge/
Thalia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that ain't code. Mr. Maxis is fixing for a visit from the building inspector, don't you think? And/or a lawsuit!

You did a really good job, Mars. Some of those wallpaper/floor combinations are just awful. Who puts a blue slate floor with paneled pine? And why is there only one window in the computer room? But you managed to pull things together very nicely and somehow make the colors work.

I have to know where you found that senet board. I actually squee'ed when I saw it. Is it playable? I have a real one!

Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The senet was a gift at My House forum. Not sure where Aponee's things are right now but I'm sure Marlo has them somewhere.
The description says it works but I haven't actually used it.
Sita

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh that kitchen! And dining - I love the lightness of the white furniture against the lavender walls.

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
patos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely as always, Maxis only or not!
kaserina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that house happens to be one of the more tolerable Maxis creations, walls and floors -wise! I liked what you did with the blue and white bedroom.

If you don't mind a WCIF, I'd love to find the endtable in picture 5...
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that was from the Project Hern Yahoo Archive "Naturally Woven" set.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ProjectHern2/

They are former donation files.

Yes, that house was the only one I could bear. It was between that house and the Kat house.
kaserina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

I've played Ginnie Kat's house many times, but it always seems so small for the amount of cats that I end up moving in with her. smile
Oreocreme

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very well done, Mars. I have a Sim living in that house, and I had forgotten what it looked like before I redecorated it and added on to it! I do remember the balcony railing issue, though. If you look at the upstairs with the roof on, the roof of the first floor makes a barricade on the side of that balcony. That would be weird, though, being able to step right off your balcony on to your roof. I added an upstairs bathroom on mine, so the balcony has a wall on that side.

I would like to know where you got the beautiful curtains in the kitchen.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kitchen curtains are from The Well Dressed Sim and I'm almost positive they were freebies.
Oreocreme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mars. I found them. I am glad I saw them in your house first, because the picture on WDS didn't do them justice. WDS also has them with a blue valance over them, and I liked that, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Challenges and Contests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: