Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Object ID conflict- How to find them and how to fix them
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Object ID conflict- How to find them and how to fix them Reply with quote

So your game keeps crashing and File Cop turns up nothing (it never did anything for objects anyway). Before doing a total reinstall or deleting all those lovely new downloads, you might consider checking for ID conflicts. Now bear with me here because I'm no technical genius but I can fix an ID conflict even if I don't totally understand them.

Basically, an ID conflict is when two items with the same coding are in your game. It happened far more often before the advent of the T-mog "magic cookie" numbers. Some of the symptoms include crashes and objects turning from one thing into another (that also can be a symptom of build bug but that's another thread). An ID Conflict usually does NOT necessarily mean the object maker is at fault. It's simply a matter of odds and there being a large but finite number of code combinations.

You can check for ID conflicts with two programs. One is free and the other is a pay program. This tutorial only covers using the free program which is Object ID. The paid program is Object Manager by Sim Enhancer.

Download a free copy here as it is a free file share friendly program (Bless you, Antoine!)

Last edited by 17mars on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find it easier at this point to open another window with the pictures so you can switch back and forth.

Unzip Object ID and open the program. Click the "List ID" button from the top tool bar. That brings up a window like in my picture below. Because my downloads are all in "Downloads" and not in "Game Data/UserObjects" I've set the program only to search in Downloads. You may want to search the whole Sims folder if you use both areas to store downloads.
Next, I've ticked the "include subfolders" box because my downloads are all subfoldered by site. I did NOT select "Create a List with all ID" as I only want to know the problem ones.
I've ticked the "Check Duplicate ID" box. You don't want these duplicates in your game. I also checked for it to open the results when finished.
Now just hit "Start Search" and sit back while it goes!
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at what my game came up with.
See the first pair that say mhegyptianstainedglass.iff? Those two are identical. That means I have two of the exact same object in my downloads folder. I now will minimze the results, use my windows search capability to search for the files and delete one of them. Having two of the same means I'm wasting space! Gosh! I've got two spiked punch bowls (get rid of one of those) and there's that window again but I already fixed that so I don't need to worry.
It's the next one down the list that is the big concern. It's a real honest to goodness ID conflict that can cause crashing and mayhem in my game. So how do you fix it so you can keep them both? See the next step but make sure to either keep this window open or to print the results as you'll need those codes to repair it.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Select which of the objects you would like to be changed. Myself, I always try to change the smaller less complex of the two objects. I just think more can go wrong with a bigger more complex file but that's my personal opinion.

Of these, I decided to fix kdsmarinelife.iff because it's a smaller painting. I found the kdsmarinelife.iff file in my game and opened it with Object ID. I do this by right clicking on the file and selecting object id to open the file.
(Alternately, you could open it through the Object ID program screen itself but I find it faster the other way. It's up to you.)
Now look at the first picture:
Here it shows you the numbers of the tiles. Check back to your list and find the conflicting number. A65D6E11 was the number shared by the two files. Now double click on that line. It will open that number for editing.
Next picture:
Now you can go in and change the number. I was advised only to change only the four central digits so that is what I've always done. I don't understand why so I won't go into that. In this example I changed the E to a 6. You only need to change one digit. I select "Replace all occurences" in case there are more tiles with the same number in the object then click "Okay". I save before closing.
Now test your game. The object should work and be normal. If not, Object ID has saved a file called 000 which is a back up of your original so you can rename it and put it back if the repaired file doesn't work.

Hope this helps!
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE OTHER WAY TO FIX AN OBJECT ID CONFLICT

There is another way to fix an object ID conflict but it is a bit controversial. You simply clone one of the conflicting objects using your own magic cookie number. This gives the object new GUIDS.

Now, why might you not want to do this?
First, that object belongs to the creator and technically you can't clone it without permission.
Okay, so you're only going to use that clone in your own game, Why else might you not want to do it?
Do you ever share families and lots? If you make one with with a cloned version of your object in it, that object isn't going to show up for other people even if they have the original object in the game because yours is a clone and not the original.
There are other considerations too but these are the main two.
ruthml

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, the webpage that had the Object ID program no longer exists. Is there another link? Or is this program shareable?

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program is shareable. I'll post a copy in our staff lounge so mods can distribute it when requests come in.
folken17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
May I request this program, please ? Because I have troubles with some files...
Thanks alot !

Email address removed by mod. We can send zips by PM. thanks2
Poetica

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent. I hope it fixes the problems you've been having. :)

EDIT: It bounced back. Said it was an illegal attachment. I'm assuming because the zip contains an .exe? Maybe someone else will have more success sending it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I PMed it to you folken17. biggrin
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I don't think it would scan the inside of the zip, would it? How weeeird!
Poetica

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think so either. *shrug*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys !

Got the program !
Tryin' it in the same time I post this message !
Thanks alot to all of you for helping me !!
wave
J_Fanning

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to get the program emailed to me? I am having many of the same problems. Thanks!
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending now. I'll remove your email address for security.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: