Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MM/gothy carts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Suggestion Box- A Wish List ONLY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loopy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else in that the first version looks best of the 4. However, I also see what you mean about the food not quite looking right. What if you coloured it a little to make it looks less fresh, so to speak? Do you think that help with the spooky feel of the cart?
socrstchik

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loopy wrote:
What if you coloured it a little to make it looks less fresh, so to speak? Do you think that help with the spooky feel of the cart?

Oooh, I (seriously) like this idea... mouldy food! Mmmmm. sickstomach

pawlee1023

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for no glass for the spooky cheap-eats food stand (hygiene is definitely not important in Magictown, where swamps and graveyards sit next to Goulash and Gumbo food carts laugh )

- Polly
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No glass

I'm trying to think of some skins for the vendors.

I want to be sure that I understand what the project is: MM/spooky type carts for use on Hot Date, Vacation, and SuperStar lots, right?

My brain is not, at the moment, up to tying together carts and new skins. If nobody else volunteers, I may have to try to figure that out - again. I've read and read about the process, but never actually done it.

There are oodles of images in the Spooky clutterbox to use in the food trays. sickstomach http://www.simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=318

Thalia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I looked at the Cheap Eats cart (which is I assume the same as the hot dog vendor I was imagining since you can get hot dogs there) and it looks like there are three female skins in light, medium and dark that the game must generate randomly (I don't think there is also a set of males). I'm assuming I should just do one rather than three?

Also, since we (well, okay, someone who is not me) are going to tie it in a custom way to the cart anyway, I'm assuming it would be fine for me to track down a different body and head mesh to use with it? The one being used is pretty modern-looking. I.e. it's not going to make any more work for someone if I use different meshes, correct?

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if we're going to do this, we should not hold back. So why do just one skin when you could do more? I do know from working on other, similar projects that the important thing is to limit the number of meshes used. So when we did the 12th Night bards, we used the same mesh for the 3 skintones male, and one mesh for the 3 skintones female. But apart from that, I made all the costumes as different as possible.

I can't remember whether the hot dog cart had a male or female NPC. The skins we make won't be affected by that. All we have to do is pick a mesh for each cart, and off we go.

Some guidance from others here about how ghoulish or goth (or vampirish or whatever) would be good.

I have some head meshes with multiple piercings that I don't think I would ever, in the normal course of things, use. But maybe they could find a home in this project.

socrstchik

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:

I want to be sure that I understand what the project is: MM/spooky type carts for use on Hot Date, Vacation, and SuperStar lots, right?

Yes.

Well, for use on any away lot.

And I'm pretty sure the hot dog cart has a male NPC, but do whatever you'd like.

best

Thalia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well personally I prefer a sort of classy Goth, sort of old fashioned; I don't do horror (I find it, well, horrible), and the modern punky Goth can get a bit, er, p0rnerrific for me. What I was thinking of making wouldn't be particularly far out of the range of the sort of thing Maxis has already done. Though nicer, of course. ;)

Three at a time all using the same mesh isn't a problem for me. Though I wonder about the skin tones. I'd like to make the light a pale, since that works so nicely with a Goth/I'm-so-pale-from-all-the-absinthe-or-was-it-the-consumption? sort of look. So long as someone doesn't mind attaching some custom hands too, I could do something interesting for the medium and dark slots as well (while still being medium and dark).

I don't know; just thinking out loud. It also depends on how much work Ess wants to put into it. Having a theme per each cart could be a lot of fun, something like Sweeney T's World-Famous Hot Dogs! But she said she just wanted to do quick recolors, so. :)

Although, a beverage cart re-themed as an absinthe cart would be pretty freakin' cool. Dress that vendor all in bright green and black, with circles under her eyes? Heh.

Okay. Off to look at some meshes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, which one of them spawns that annoying organ grinder dude? I laid them all out on the cement paved community lot the other day to get a look and there he was.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laugh clap Omigoodness! "Sweeney T's World-Famous Hot Dogs". I scared the cats laughing over that one. This is a fun thread! Love the thought process.
socrstchik

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thalia wrote:
...What I was thinking of making wouldn't be particularly far out of the range of the sort of thing Maxis has already done. Though nicer, of course. ;)

I wouldn't say no. I'm rather omnivoracious (is that a word?) on this one. I run the whole gauntlet of goth.

Thalia wrote:
...I'd like to make the light a pale, since that works so nicely with a Goth/I'm-so-pale-from-all-the-absinthe-or-was-it-the-consumption? sort of look. ... I could do something interesting for the medium and dark slots as well (while still being medium and dark).

I'm for that.

Thalia wrote:
...Having a theme per each cart could be a lot of fun, something like Sweeney T's World-Famous Hot Dogs! ... Although, a beverage cart re-themed as an absinthe cart would be pretty freakin' cool. Dress that vendor all in bright green and black, with circles under her eyes? Heh.

Awesome. For reals.

Y'all are putting some serious work into this, more than I would've thought it would take. I wish I could do any kind of object/skin/animation/whatever making. 'Cos I feel guilty for not helping now... sad

Thalia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you provided the idea and inspiration. That's worth a lot, trust me.

Okay I got a vendor-lady (mostly) done for the Cheap Eats (or whatever it's going to get called) cart. She needs some tweaking still, since the trim on the hem and sleeves is falling off the bottom a bit, but this is the general idea. The head is just a placeholder (it's Bella's in pale) for now; I figure I'll try to find something with a kerchief, or something I can make look like she's wearing a kerchief. Does she look like a vendor?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I really like what's going on here clap loving the cart, and here's another one for the no glass ;) maybe, instead of the glass, adding just a little bit of a low border in same wood as a finish touch? just a thought!

Thalia wrote:
Having a theme per each cart could be a lot of fun, something like Sweeney T's World-Famous Hot Dogs! But she said she just wanted to do quick recolors, so. :)

Although, a beverage cart re-themed as an absinthe cart would be pretty freakin' cool. Dress that vendor all in bright green and black, with circles under her eyes? Heh.

Thalia. I am laughing out loud!! laugh
tho, the Sweeney T.'s hotdog cart would be freaking cool! laugh
and I looooove the absinthe idea!
mmm... maybe, just maybe, if someone could help with the tweaking and attaching job.. for the NPC (I can never get it right! jfade's psycho ) and if you are willing to make skins for it (which is the fun part! laugh ) maybe.. but just maybe.. I can do another recolor... if I have some time! it could be a good project for Halloween...

Loving the skin you did so far! clap
I think the head is great for it too, I agree, maybe with a kerchief it would suit better with the theme. Maxis' Ginia Kat is wearing a kerchief, maybe you could use that mesh? it's the c807fa_ginia.
(uh-oh. I just remember I did a makeover of that bmp a while back. Which I never shared! surprise )

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the skin, Thalia. And the Sweeney T hot dogs, though I wish I hadn't had a mouthful of tea when I read it. (wet keyboard blues, you know) sad

I quite fancy a sushi-stand based object "Little Lecter's Could Be Lamb".

We're on a roll. Any object makers who fancy having a go at a cart or counter should have at it, and any skinners who want to work on NPC's - start working. We haven't had a large group project underway here in far too long.

Keep posting in this thread, and let's see where we are in a week or so.

Skinning inspiration isn't hitting me yet. I just started to work with MilkShape again, and I'm sticking with it until I get a mesh or two where I want them.

However, I will start to make myself a list of the steps of cloning and replacing NPC's, so that I can help with that if no one more experienced offers.

pawlee1023

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the NPC skin - sort of a modern-looking gypsy, and just right for someone who serves fast food (hot dogs, burgers, and pizza) to hungry Sims biggrin

- Polly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Suggestion Box- A Wish List ONLY All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: