Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Cookies: They're a must! (with addl info for Mac users
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Magic Cookies: They're a must! (with addl info for Mac users Reply with quote

Why do you need to use a Magic Cookie number? Because if you don't you damage your own credibility as an object maker. A newbie who has their game crash due to an id conflict is going to blame you and they'll spread the word. Experienced sim players who get id conflicts from your work will think you lazy and careless for not bothering with this simple one time step.

All you need to do is get ONE magic cookie number from the Tmog website and Tmog will use and remember it for you after the first time. That's it.!
http://www.thesimstransmogrifier.com/TransmogrifierCookies
The only other step you should take is to register that number in the Magic Cookie database:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/magiccookie/
Here, object makers can check to see if by some slight chance, they have an identical ID with another maker. This is extremely rare but has happened.

What is a magic cookie?
It's a special ID number that is inserted into the center of the GUID of your objects making them unique to you. When two objects share the exact same GUID, the object will either crash the game or show up in bizarre ways.

I know other members will have more to say on this hot topic so I get off my soap box now soapbox

Edited by Anne to include the following important information:

* When re-installing T-Mog, it's essential to remember that you'll need to plug in your Magic Cookie number again - the newly reinstalled program will have lost it.

* T-Mog stores a list of GUIDs that you've used in the past, and re-installing may erase that list. So to bring it back up to date, temporarily place all your objects into the game, bring up T-Mog, and use the Update Used GUIDs feature. Then you can remove the objects again and you won't be in danger of using the same GUID twice.

* You can view your object's GUID number in T-Mog to make sure that it did use the correct Magic Cookie number for it.

* Before offering a new creation for download, use either Object ID or Object Manager to check for ID conflicts, to be on the safe side.

Last edited by 17mars on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sims players are more likely to assume your work is shoddy or unreliable if you don't use a magic cookie at all. It's step one in object making and if you've not dne that then what else have you skipped?

The careless and lazy assumption seems to come along later if frequently you conflict with yourself. This happens when you ARE using a magic cookie but don't ensure your objects don't conflict with each other.

PC users should get into the habit of using Transmogrifier's (not oft mentioned) Update Used GUIDs feature. That's one of the options you get when you click the About The Sims Transmogrifier button.

I *think* what it does is go through everything you have installed and take note of the GUIDs, keeping them in a list that it looks at when cloning to make sure it never uses those numbers. If I'm right about this (I have not been able to get any confirmation anywhere) it would allow you to uninstall your objects (making loading time faster) while not creating objects that conflict with each other.

Mac users can run an Object ID checker to make sure their GUIDs are all unique (same one that can be used on downloaded objects)

Quote:
All you need to do is get ONE magic cookie number from the T-mog website and T-mog will use and remember it for you after the first time. That's it.!

I think same goes for the mac program IffSnooper.

I know Mac users can get a magic cookie from the Transmogrifier site as well. (http://www.thesimstransmogrifier.com/TransmogrifierCookies) I am just not positive if the number needs to be entered each time.
I can't seem to get to the IffSnooper documentation pages (http://homepage.mac.com/petergould/IFFS/)at the moment to see what's said about that at the moment, though.

Quote:
The only other step you should take is to register that number in the Magic Cookie database:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/magiccookie/

Before entering your own number into the database be sure to convert your magic cookie into the HEX version and do a search for that number in the Data base. That will tell you if the magic cookie you were assigned (or picked) conflicts with anyone else in the database.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:

The careless and lazy assumption seems to come along later if frequently you conflict with yourself. This happens when you ARE using a magic cookie but don't ensure your objects don't conflict with each other.

PC users should get into the habit of using Transmogrifier's (not oft mentioned) Update Used GUIDs feature. That's one of the options you get when you click the About The Sims Transmogrifier button.

I *think* what it does is go through everything you have installed and take note of the GUIDs, keeping them in a list that it looks at when cloning to make sure it never uses those numbers. If I'm right about this (I have not been able to get any confirmation anywhere) it would allow you to uninstall your objects (making loading time faster) while not creating objects that conflict with each other.

When one prolific object maker needed to discover why her objects were starting to conflict with each other, I suspected that she might have bought a new computer and put a new copy of TMog on it. Hedda checked, and said that she (Hedda) was able to find a file of 'used' Guid numbers in TMog.

It seems to me that TMog might make that list when you first create a clone???

And on a different subtopic, thanks for making it clear that using Magic Cookie isn't enough. You DO have to check your hex number at the database, to make sure that someone else isn't using it to create objects.

Last edited by bruja on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
riekus13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!
I hope someone can help me with this..........
As there are problems with Spiff's objects.......and she on a hiatus, because she just had a baby-boy.........I asked Turbollama to take a look at her objects.
He told me he could do something about it, if he knew her magic cookie number.
Now I have her 4 digit hex#.............A407, but I don't know how to convert it to her cookie #.
Could anybody please help me? cry:
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to mention the hex version of it to him because that may be what he meant (I have found many programmers beginning thinking in HEX LOL)

Is she signed up at the Magic Cookie Database? If so the decimal version of the number will be listed there. (If not you should sign her up so she can call dibs on her number ;) )

To convert the magic cookie from HEX to decimal number use a calculator. Are you on a Mac (you mentioned "unpacking" files recently and that tends to be said by mac users) ? I forget what it's called on the mac. I think Bedawyn mentioned it at greensims.net .. or was it in a email? LOL. *rummage* AH Here tis... Bedawyn said Mac users need to use the "programmer's Calculator" rather than the "scientific" calculator.

On a PC what you do is go into Start and find your Calculator under Accessories. In the Menu Bar choose View > Scientific Calculator

The click the HEX radio button and enter your HEX number (A407).

Then Click on the DEC radio button (for decimal) to see it in decimal form (which is 41991)

riekus13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, Raeven!!! :grin:

I looked for her number in the group..magic-coockie.
But I couldn't find it.
I think I'll sign her up right now.
I hope Turbo can help me further!
Marieke
Turbollama

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny seeing this thread. Yes, many of Spiff's items lost their OBJD's and I'm not sure how. I do know how to correct that (and most corrupt files for that matter), but we're just waiting for the word.
mtaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbollama wrote:
...I do know how to correct that (and most corrupt files for that matter)...

That sounds like something that would be useful to know.
Turbollama

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
That sounds like something that would be useful to know.

Most of the time it is as simple as seeing what object the cloned file was originally based from. Reclone it, add in the parts that were left (and uncorrupt) and voila. If the sprites are gone, it is completely lost but usually of anything the sprites are retained for some odd reason.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Turbo! Great tip!
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<disclaimer>This whole issue annoys me!</disclaimer>

Raeven is completely right in that lack of Magic cookie is a sign of shoddiness, although my feeling is who cares what else they've missed, if they haven't used a cookie then bleeding Z's or dodgy recolouring would be the least of a players problems.

The reason it annoys me is periodically I get %^*($-slapped by players who find my stuff clashes randomly with old objects churned out by people who never bothered with a cookie number. :roll: Like its my fault! I also get annoyed by the bad advice of some people trying to help people correct GUID clashes by advising they register a cookie *grrrr* I spent upwards of an hour a week trying to fix cookie related problems with visitors.

Accidents do happen, I've been caught out before with a fresh re-install of Windows, made a whole set before I realised I'd forgotten to put my cookie number in T-Mog, but since I ID check before releasing every set I caught it before inflicting it on other people.

Last edited by Kate on Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must be so annoying!
I have lots of downloads from older (defunct) sites that never used Magic Cookie numbers. I run OB ID every time I put stuff in because of it and I always know the names that are going to come up. I've taken to just recloning the old magic cookie-less objects as they clash now and dumping the originals. I wish I'd done that to start with.
ruthml

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
Quote:

I didn't know about that option either. Do you have to have every object you've made installed when you check? (is that a dumb question? oops:
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably worth asking Heather, she does seem to have Don's ear so she could probably get a definitive answer. Although I still want to know what happens when I use up all the GUID's in my cookie *g*
Madoria

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will need all objects you ever made in the FIRST time you update your GUID list , after that you will only need to have the new ones in .

I keep all my stuff in when cloning new - but it is getting to be a rather large number now...

Quote:
Although I still want to know what happens when I use up all the GUID's in my cookie *g*

Hm... that is a great question....

Susanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: