Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Cookies: They're a must! (with addl info for Mac users
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you find your number or get a new one, you will need to convert it to a 1st generation number in the 0 - 65536 range. Do that by subtracting 65536 from your number until it is less than 65536.

143838 is the number I got when I first got mine issued by the Lush Creations website, but my actual 5 number magic cookie number is 12766.

12766 and 143838 both have the same hex code: 31 DE. If you have a number larger than 65536 there is a chance that someone else could have the same hex code. 0 - 65536 are first generation numbers. 65537 - 131072 are second generation numbers. 78302 is the second generation equivalent of my hex code. My 143838 is a 3rd generation number. There might even be fourth generation numbers out there.

This is why 2 creators can have a magic cookie conflict. One could be using the first generation number and the other could be using a second or third generation number but they have the same hex code.

Edited by mod to correct numbers.

Last edited by mtaman on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
Well, a few months later and I'm back thinking on this topic, hahaha. Around the time I joined this thread with my questions -- once Raeven said, more or less, that they're "Mac compatible," I went to the Transmogrifier site and signed up for a magic cookie. I printed out the result (a six digit number), but never got around to cloning any objects/trying to use my magic cookie number. Well, I've since lost the printout, and I've been about ready as of late to try the Sims College chair lesson and a tutorial of Hedda's I saw at SomeSimThings -- but I'm afraid to make a clone without a magic cookie number now! I just went back to the TMog site to see if I could get my cookie number back, but all it seems to do is be ready to sign me up for a new cookie number. I don't want to "steal" an "extra" number which could be used by a real creator (I just want to hack objects for use in my own game, and not end up with object ID issues) -- so is there a way to get my cookie number back?

~Yersinia.

Go ahead and get another number, follow mtaman's instrutions, and convert to a 4 digit hex number, which is all that really matters.

If the program your using to inset your magic cookie on the mac uses the hex number, then you're ready, as long as you've checked the registry to make sure that no other creator has used it. If the program you're using needs a decimal number, just conver the 4 digit hex to the decimal equivalent.

You don't need to worry about 'stealing' a number. The mess ups in that area occurred during the issue of the first generation numbers. Every possible 4 digit hex number has now been issued at least 3, maybe 4, times. So as long as you're using a 4 digit hex number tht hasn't been registered, your chances of not conflicting are good.

If the number is used only in your own game, and you start finding conflicts with the objects of one particular creator, you'll know that creator uses the same hex magci cookie. For that creator's objects, for the purpose of cloning for your own game, just change one of the digits where the magic cookie hex number appears.

Yersinia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
Once you find your number or get a new one, you will need to convert it to a 1st generation number in the 0 - 65536 range. Do that by subtracting 65536 from your number until it is less than 65536.

143838 is the number I got when I first got mine issued by the Lush Creations website, but my actual 5 number magic cookie number is 12766.

12766 and 143838 both have the same hex code: 31 DE. If you have a number larger than 65536 there is a chance that someone else could have the same hex code. 0 - 65536 are first generation numbers. 65537 - 131072 are second generation numbers. 78302 is the second generation equivalent of my hex code. My 143838 is a 3rd generation number. There might even be fourth generation numbers out there.

This is why 2 creators can have a magic cookie conflict. One could be using the first generation number and the other could be using a second or third generation number but they have the same hex code.

Hmmmm, OK, I just got back from getting a new number. They gave me 180955, which when 65536 was twice subtracted, brought me down to a number less than 65536 -- 49883. Thanks to Google finding me a converter -- since I don't know how to convert to hex, I end up with C2 DB. notworthy OK, so I guess that's my magic cookie, which I'll have to put in IFF Snooper (I know where, now). Yes, I wrote it down, both the number I originally got, the subtractions, and the hex number. Thanks. smile

bruja wrote:
Go ahead and get another number, follow mtaman's instrutions, and convert to a 4 digit hex number, which is all that really matters.

Yeah, just did it. biggrin So I'm real now, huh? Hee hee.

Quote:
If the program your using to inset your magic cookie on the mac uses the hex number, then you're ready, as long as you've checked the registry to make sure that no other creator has used it. If the program you're using needs a decimal number, just conver the 4 digit hex to the decimal equivalent.

I'm ready with my cookie (have both the decimal number and the hex) -- not sure yet which of those IFF Snooper will want, but I'm OK since I have both. And, uh, checked what registry, where? You mean there's someplace creators go to register their magic cookies as belonging to them? I didn't see any place like this at the TMog site.....so where do I find it?

Quote:
You don't need to worry about 'stealing' a number. The mess ups in that area occurred during the issue of the first generation numbers. Every possible 4 digit hex number has now been issued at least 3, maybe 4, times. So as long as you're using a 4 digit hex number tht hasn't been registered, your chances of not conflicting are good.

If the number is used only in your own game, and you start finding conflicts with the objects of one particular creator, you'll know that creator uses the same hex magci cookie. For that creator's objects, for the purpose of cloning for your own game, just change one of the digits where the magic cookie hex number appears.

Thanks for the heads up -- it had already occurred to me that even with a magic cookie number of my own, I would still want to run GUID Checker when the time comes to put objects I hack into my game.

Actually, here's what I'm really after with this: there are some game couches and chairs, i.e., cheaper ones, I like the looks of better than the expensive ones, but too often I end up buying sims the expensive ones I like less because those are the ones which are comfortable for the sims to sit on! So I want to clone those game chairs and couches and hack my clones so they'll be comfortable -- and use those instead. There are also a couple bathtub/showers from the game I like better, appearance wise, than my Icy Blue Shower, but almost all the sims get the Icy Blue one because it offers full hygiene, comfort and energy (and, Icy Blue is a bit too high on the energy) -- so I'd like to hack the game showers to give full hygiene, and a little bit of comfort and energy (plus maybe back down Icy Blue's energy a little bit, since I have so many bathrooms it does look nice in/want to keep it). I also have a few downloaded objects of a similar nature which I want to do these kinds of tweaks to, for the same kinds of reasons. Plus I still want to up the payout on Ashias's blacksmithing anvil, too.

And no, I don't plan to have this stuff anywhere but in my own game. There are way too many issues, in my opinion, with regards to getting distribution permissions, these "laws" which seem to apply even when a creator totally leaves the Sim community and no one can contact him/her anymore to get these permissions, and since no one can get permission, it's not allowed to share them, and all that stuff. I'm staying far away from that, thank you. smile

But I'm still quite a ways off from even having these in my own game yet -- in fact I just ran aground with extracting objects from the game Object.far, which I tried for the first time today. But, that's a subject for tomorrow, in another thread. laugh

Thank you both, mtaman and bruja, for the magic cookie info. best

~Yersinia.

Edited by mod to correct numbers.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
mtaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry , Yersinia, the number to subtract is 65536. blush So your 1st generation number is really 49883 or hex C2 DB.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/magiccookie/ is the place to register your number.

I know you are reluctant to join Yahoo groups, so if you like I'm sure one of us could do it for you.

I checked and that number is not yet registered. thumbsup

Remember any time you clone, you are adding to your Downloads folder and perhaps pushing you over your limit. If you swap out the old objects with your new cloned objects keeping the total numbers the same (or as close as possible) you should be okay.
wheatley1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is a thread about Magic Cookies but if Yersinia wants to hack Maxis items but wouldn't it be better to extract the original one from the far file and alter that. I have done that with a couple of things and it means that only one of the items shows up in the catalog. I have also put my hacked bits in a folder called "Maxis hacked do not far" as unless I am mistaken there is a chance that the game will then load the original fared item.

Jackie
mtaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That prompts a good question: Does the game add an extracted copy object to the Downloads limit amount? I'm thinking it probably does. In which case, Yersinia is no better off extracting than cloning.

You are right though that it would make the Game buy catalog more tidy, especially if she wants to use the hacked versions as replacements instead of as additions to her selections.

The game loads the far files first, then the folders. So a object that is in a folder will be used over a file in a far file. Usually you want to put the extracted iff in the same folder as the far file from which it is extracted ie a iff extracted from the Gamedata/Objects.far should be placed in the Gamedata/Objects folder and an iff extracted from the ExpansionPack2 far should be placed in the ExpansionPack2 folder
Yersinia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaman wrote:
Sorry , Yersinia, the number to subtract is 65536. blush So your 1st generation number is really 49883 or hex C2 DB.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/magiccookie/ is the place to register your number.

I know you are reluctant to join Yahoo groups, so if you like I'm sure one of us could do it for you.

I checked and that number is not yet registered. thumbsup

Remember any time you clone, you are adding to your Downloads folder and perhaps pushing you over your limit. If you swap out the old objects with your new cloned objects keeping the total numbers the same (or as close as possible) you should be okay.

1. Thanks for offering to register me, but a few months ago I did finally get signed up with Yahoo (no it wasn't fun but I finally managed to figure out a fake identity with username and password I won't forget) -- so I just registered my cookie. Even gave myself an "artist's" filename prefix for what will only be mildly hacked objects solely for my own game -- so I'll be able to very easily distinguish my files from everyone else's (hehehe, it's YP for Yersinia pestis, of course).

OK, now that that's down, in a little while I need to clear up my game-object-extraction issue, and start my practice hacking

2. Well, when it comes to the hacked versions of custom objects (since I've already done this: I've done motive ad hacks on everything in my Garage Sale collection, a campfire, plus all my C&C coffee pots and the Nokov tea) -- yes, I only keep the hacked versions, which I'm using, in the game, and this is my plan for any more hacks (only a couple I can think of right now that I "need" to hack though, like the icy blue shower and the anvil). Since I have some cleaning up to do in the G4's Downloads folder anyway (plus, I haven't even done these new hacks yet!), for the time being I'm not going to worry about my Dreaded Downloads Limit. I'll worry about it once I get the hacking down and have the G4 cleaned up.

Thanks again though! hug

~Yersinia.

Yersinia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Alert! Magic Cookie Warning for Mac Creators!

Having been occasionally cloning for a while now, plus also having updated my version of IFF Snooper twice since I first got it (I'm presently using 1.2.3 b9R4), I've made a surprising discovery I consider important to share:

Not only does IFF Snooper not store a list of the GUIDs it generates, it forgets your cookie, too, if you shut it down between uses. As long as you keep IFF Snooper up and running, it will continue to remember your cookie and generate continual unique GUIDs. However, if you clone an object or two, shut it off, and then turn it back on after lunch or whatever to do more cloning, not only do you have to reenter the cookie, but you may end up getting GUID numbers which are duplicates of ones for your earlier creations.

I didn't realize this until fairly recently, not just because it's only in the last few months that I've done a lot of cloning (and turning off IFF Snooper between bouts with the hacking bug), but also, I've made a few objects that I either don't use at all, or I'm using them but in different installations. So, while I always run GUID Checker prior to installing anything in either of my games (including my stuff), there could be things I missed.

Recommendation (I'm going to start doing this myself):

1. Each time you make an object, put a copy of it away in a special folder, which you call something like "AllMyStuff for GUID Checker."

2. Keep a copy of a vanilla (Maxis only) Downloads folder on your desktop at all times, rename it "Downloads for GUID Checker" (this I've been doing for a year and a half now). Not only can you use it to run GUID Checker after a binge of regular ole downloadaholism and clear up object ID conflicts before you put the latest haul in your real game, but:

3. Drop your "AllMyStuff..." folder into "Downloads for GUID Checker" and run GUID Checker on it. This will enable you to make sure your objects don't conflict either with each other or with Maxis objects. Do an initial run of what you have now, plus continual checking each time you add a new object to it.

~Yersinia.

KarinL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
Not only does IFF Snooper not store a list of the GUIDs it generates, it forgets your cookie, too, if you shut it down between uses. As long as you keep IFF Snooper up and running, it will continue to remember your cookie and generate continual unique GUIDs.

None of the above applies to me. We *think* that has to do with the fact that I have an Intel Mac.

On my machine, IffSnooper does not remember the cookie at all - the moment I close the 'enter cookie' dialog, the cookie is gone from memory, even though IffSnooper is not closed.

This means, that there is absolutely no difference between 'clone' and 'copy' on my system - my 'clone' has exactly the same GUIDs as the original.

I have to manually put my cookie into every single OBJD segment, and then IffSnooper will generate a new GUID for that segment.
If during that process it creates a GUID for one segment that was already used for another, there is a warning.

When I 'clone' a second object without closing IffSnooper in the meantime, the program does not see GUID conflicts between the first and second object. Once the first object is closed, the GUIDs created for that object are also forgotten.
I found that out when I was doing a series of recolours of one single object - all cloned from the same original, and the GUID was changed manually by typing in the cookie - and they all ended up with the exact same new GUID. :)

I just thought it was worth adding this information just in case anyone else with an Intel Mac wants to start creating...

Karin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case there's anyone around who still watches this thread, I am wondering if the Yahoo group is still up-to-date on magic cookies, or if there's somewhere else I need to go to make sure my number (DE 1B) isn't the same as someone else's. I did add it to the Yahoo group database with no conflict, but I saw little or no activity there in the past several years. If there is another place I should check as well, please direct me there as soon as possible.

Thanks!
~B
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any activity, either.

Quite a lot of active object makers are members of guests here. Perhaps we should be considering starting a list ourselves.

Many of our members who aren't object makers themselves have huge collections, and would probably be willing to look through their objects to help assemble a list of known utilized Magic Cookies.

Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think making a separate, additional list would weaken the entire idea. Having everyone listed in a central spot means going to a single source to check for GUID conflicts. As that data base can still be added to and used so there's not reason in the world it should not be used.

Having an up to date backup of the data (in case the group fails) is a good idea, though.
Simly Perfect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... should I act on the assumption that my number is unused, or do I need to wait for confirmation from someplace else?

Thanks again!
~B
Yersinia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simly Perfect wrote:
So... should I act on the assumption that my number is unused, or do I need to wait for confirmation from someplace else?

Thanks again!
~B

B, if you registered your magic cookie, go on and use it. IMO. all you need to worry about is that your objects don't conflict with each other or with Maxis objects.

You have no control over what other creators do or don't do, and, you have no control over the players either. Players who use downloaded objects simply have to be responsible about object ID conflicts by running either Sims Object ID and/or whatever other programs detect and fix object ID conflicts on Windows PCs, or GUID Checker (Mac) BEFORE they reboot their games after installing new goodies. If they don't do this -- and I personally can't understand people who don't: it's so much EASIER to prevent object ID conflicts in the first place than it is to have your game crash in your face, explode beyond repair, or have to troubleshoot down to one-at-a-time-object level! -- it's not your problem. As long as you HAVE a magic cookie, have registered it, and are sure your objects are not in conflict with each other or Maxis objects, you've done the intelligent and responsible thing as a creator.

That said, keep in mind that there was some kind of brou-ha-ha with magic cookies awhile back (a little before my time actually so I can't get into specific details, only generalities) where so many cookie numbers got used, they went into a "second generation" on new creators ending up with cookies that "belonged to" previous creators, and prolific creators obtaining and registering multiple magic cookies for themselves -- all of which comes down to three things:

1. Today's new Sims 1 creators probably don't even actually GET a unique magic cookie number anymore, so even though their goodies won't conflict with Maxis objects or each other (which is why creators should still trouble themselves to get and register a magic cookie), there's nothing they can do if their objects conflict with objects of another, earlier creator who had that cookie number first. Which means,

2. If there's little activity at the YG where you register cookies, it means there are way fewer new Sims 1 creators now than in the past. Kind of stands to reason with all the Simmers who abandoned Sims 1 for Sims 2 and/or Sims 3. So I wouldn't take THAT as a sign that someone else might also have your cookie. If someone else does have it, it's probably a way earlier creator who might have just quit all gaming in favor of living RL (ugh, but different strokes for different folks! laugh ) but, there might also still be players who have that person's creations in their games, which brings us to:

3. Players who use custom content and hate it when their games act wonky or crash HAVE TO run object ID programs to look for and fix the conflicts themselves. There is no getting out of this except to play totally vanilla or be willing to tolerate major game malfunctions.

For the record, I am both a player and an occasional object hacker. As a player, I have two very seriously "hot rodded" installations of The Sims (and I'm planning a third installation). I CAN'T do without custom content since I'm a heavy theme player, but I'll tell you this: Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, gets installed in ANY of my games unless it FIRST passes a test for object ID conflicts. As a hacker, even though I'm not what you'd call prolific since my real addiction is to playing -- I have a separate test installation to make sure my hacks work in terms of both not crashing the game and functioning the way I made them to, without risking my real games. I ran an initial object ID test on the objects I made some time ago (I keep them in a separate folder) and each time I make something new, I throw it in that folder and run GUID Checker again, and then in my "Downloads for GUID Checker" folder AGAIN to make sure it's OK with Maxis objects.

~Yersinia.

Siyankan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the database is fairly accurate. The main reason it has so little activity, frankly, is that most of those who create right now have had their magic cookie numbers for years. After all, most people are only going to visit that database once, or perhaps twice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: