Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Cookies: They're a must! (with addl info for Mac users
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyZ wrote:
Now for whatever reason the stuff I cloned last night isn't usable in game? I see it in the buy menu, but when I select it I get the open hand instead of the closed one. I'm guessing I added the wrong part of the MC number maybe? or maybe I just have too much stuff already....

here, lemme toss an object into this thread, you can take a looksee and lemme know what's wrong w. it.

Works OK in my test game (cool picture, by the way). Did you run Object ID by chance? I ask because when I opened it up in IFF Snooper I noticed something weird about the cookie numbers in the OBJD resources and am thinking maybe you're having an object ID conflict. Namely:

See how one of them has a different Magic Cookie number --

By comparison, here's another multitile object which as such has multiple OBJDs, therefore multiple GUIDS (3 of the 7 in the picture, but all 7 of 'em have that C2DB cookie... yup that's mine):

See, AFAIK, while each OBJD is supposed to have its own GUID, the cookie is supposed to be the same.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
JimmyZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I think that's what's wrong. The TransMog still thinks I'm using the old number or something, and so it turns some of my objects into each other. Like I'd just made a dance tile? But on the same night I made a cute little free floating Death Fish (like the ones in Sims3) and now I can't test my dance tile because when I try to select it I have two Death Fish.

The little leaf that falls
All brown and sere to earth,
Ere long will mingle with the buds
That give the flower its birth.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyZ wrote:
Yeh, I think that's what's wrong. The TransMog still thinks I'm using the old number or something, and so it turns some of my objects into each other. Like I'd just made a dance tile? But on the same night I made a cute little free floating Death Fish (like the ones in Sims3) and now I can't test my dance tile because when I try to select it I have two Death Fish.

I don't know about any Death Fishes (or Sims 3), but I DO know about Sims 1 object ID conflicts! They will either cause bizarro mundo wonkiness or crash your game, or maybe both even (wonk first, crash second). jfade's psycho Everything that could possibly go technologically wrong with Sims 1, and every mistake possible for a Sims 1 custom-content player to make, it went wrong in MY game, AND, I made ALL the mistakes.... whistle

My first six months and most of the rest of my first YEAR as a custom-content playing Simmer were so plagued with nasty surprise technical problems, many of which were due to my own sloppy Simming habits and mistakes, and me having to learn how to fix, clean up my sloppy act and prevent -- it was so much I can't believe I stuck with it; games should be FUN right....? Sheesh! angry

Well, sooooo....

Because (a) object ID conflicts are completely impossible to avoid anymore if you're relying 100% on Magic Cookies to do it(*), and (b) it's actually possible for the GUID of ONE TILE of a multitile object to be a duplicate not just of another object's GUID, but also to be a duplicate of another tile in the same object (I don't get it either so don't ask but I've SEEN it happen!) -- you can NOT:

(1) Rely on Magic Cookies alone to prevent object ID conflict, or
(2) Trust your OWN objects/cookies to be free of causing object ID conflict.

However,

ALL Object ID conflict can be 100% PREVENTED! Here's how:

All a Simmer has to do is run Object ID (PC) or GUID Checker (Mac). These object ID test/repair programs find all existing object ID conflicts and allow you to change the GUIDs of the duplicates. Such being the case:

EVERY SINGLE TIME you install ANY new object in your game -- INCLUDING something YOU made, into your TEST game, you MUST run an object ID test FIRST, BEFORE you boot the game, to be certain it's clean of object ID conflict. This is because if it's your object, you need to know WHAT is causing it to fail, if it fails, and the kind of wonkiness inherent in actual object ID conflict will make it very hard to discern if the failure is object ID conflict or creator/hacker error. It's best to eliminate object ID conflict right from the get-go. I don't install anything in any of my games without first running GUID checker/cleaning up existing ID conflicts before booting up to test or play. Maybe your painting worked in my test game because I ran GUID Checker and the run was clean...?

(*) All the Magic Cookie numbers have actually been used up by this time, so even if you get a "new" one and register it, and even if all subsequent creators do the same, well, there's only a finite number of numbers. This is why you can't TOTALLY rely on Magic Cookies for protection and must run an object ID test on everything you download or make yourself.

Read up on object ID conflicts and testing here:

http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=817&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
JimmyZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Object ID proggie. I hope this clears stuff up, I was really perturbed when all the mushrooms started becoming portraits of horror host Dr.Spooky. There were all these Dr.Spookys hanging in midair... afraid

edit:after program run- nope. Nothing conflicting. Where can I read up on this 'build bug'? It might be that.

Thalia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help, but remember that there is also the master GUID to type in, too. I almost went crazy trying to figure out why a window of mine wasn't working; it was only one tile so only had one place where I should put in my magic cookie, right? No, it had a master as well (I forget why but it's probably something to do with its function as a window). So you could have missed one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna clone my thing, grab the sprites again, delete the original and try again. Much less fuss.

Olena Dub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few questions about magic cookie thing:
1. When I first time experienced an ID conflict, I get from Tmog site a cookie number (circa 2004). But it is not a 5-digits - it is 6-digits. Is this normal?

2. As I see in database at magiccookie yg, all magic cookies are consisting from 5 digits. But there is another column - "Original cookie" and many of numbers in it are 6-digits. What is the difference between these two colums -- "Magic Cookie" and "Original Cookie"?

3. How much this database is up to date now?

Thank you in advance!
Olena
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olena Dub wrote:
Few questions about magic cookie thing:
1. When I first time experienced an ID conflict, I get from Tmog site a cookie number (circa 2004). But it is not a 5-digits - it is 6-digits. Is this normal?

I've posted this type of information many times and places, but I haven't the time right now to go looking for a link to any of them. So here are some answers:

1. The TMog site, after all the possible Magic Cookies (that is, all the decimal numbers that could be expressed by 4 hexadecimal digits, because an objects GUID has space for 4 hexadecimal digits to identify a unique creator), just continued to hand out "Magic Cookie" numbers that were 1 number higher than the previous one given.

I have believed (as I was told long ago) that TMog truncated the oversize magic cookie numbers, but I've just been having a look at some of the numbers in the registry, and it looks to me as if after 65536 (the last possible number that can be converted to a 4 digit hex, Tmog deducted 65536 from the number, so that 65537 was given the hex equivalent of 00001.

As it happens, some of the people who got these numbers are people I know personally. When I have a little more time, I'll ask them.

You really only use the assigned "Magic Cookie" once, when you first type it into TMog.

For all practical purposes, you REAL magic Cookie is the 4 digit hex number that you will see as the middle 4 digits of the GUID of any object you make.

If only the TMog site had issued 4 digit hex numbers, instead of making the translation part of TMog! I don't know whether the decision was made because they thought people would choke on the idea of hexadecimal numbers, or because (a more understandable fear) they thought people seeing alpha characters in a creator number/magic cookie would lead people to believe that any alpha character could be used, which, of course, is not the case, since only ABCDEF are recognized as digits in hex numbers.

So to check on whether someone else is using your hex number (which is what will be in the GUID, and is the cause of potential conflicts, find or calculate your hex Magic Cookie, then sort the list at the yahoo Magic Cookie registry by hex number, and look to see if yours is there. If it is, you definitely want a different magic cookie number.

Olena Dub wrote:
2. As I see in database at magiccookie yg, all magic cookies are consisting from 5 digits. But there is another column - "Original cookie" and many of numbers in it are 6-digits. What is the difference between these two colums -- "Magic Cookie" and "Original Cookie"?

Most of the entries in the Original Magic Cookie number are those that were issued by the TMog site, but were too large to be translated into 4 digit hex numbers. In these cases, the number in the Magic Cookie column are those actually being used by the creators, as shown by their hex numbers. In most cases, but not all, the person typed the assigned number into TMog, then looked for the hex number, then tranlated that into the number in the TMog column. (In a few cases, that Original magic cookie column was used by a creator to show an additional magic cookie used earlier, but that's not what the column was intended to record.)

Olena Dub wrote:
3. How much this database is up to date now?

The registry has never been more than a voluntary way to try to avoid duplications. Since it was created, responsible creators who intended to share their objects have made use of the free service. Thousands of creators have never registered their numbers, though quite a few did immediately after 2 very prolific creators actually used up all the numbers available to their original magic cookies, then both started using a second one, which happened to be the same.

purplewowies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
I have believed (as I was told long ago) that TMog truncated the oversize magic cookie numbers, but I've just been having a look at some of the numbers in the registry, and it looks to me as if after 65536 (the last possible number that can be converted to a 4 digit hex, Tmog deducted 65536 from the number, so that 65537 was given the hex equivalent of 00001.

This is true, at least for mine. The middle of all my objects' GUIDs reads D2D2, but my issued Magic Cookie is 185042, which, in hex, is 2D2D2. If you deduct 65536 from it twice, you get 53970, which, in hex, is D2D2. This is the number I put in my 5 digit cookie entry on the group, whereas I put my actual cookie in the original cookie field.
Olena Dub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Bruja, for such detailed explanation! notworthy Very much appreciated! hug
Ammonite

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn the first link is down. I hate Yahoo, can't even remember my old account login details.. these are the only options? sad
purplewowies

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammonite wrote:
Darn the first link is down. I hate Yahoo, can't even remember my old account login details.. these are the only options? sad

Since the Tmog site cookie generator is down, the Yahoo group is the only option I know of.
Andrasta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Where can I get an Object ID or Magic Cookie in 2012? Reply with quote

Well, maybe I'm just too tired already...is there any current and open site where to get that magic cookie or object ID? Is it two numbers, cookie and ID, or the same thing?

I guess I'm really too tired to understand, I'll try tomorrow to read this thread again ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: