Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sims Custom Content Installation Basics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Sims Custom Content Installation Basics Reply with quote

Here's the basics for installing various types of custom content.

Extract all files. If you are unfamiliar with the mechanics of extraction, see extraction thread for details.

All objects are .iff files. They are placed in either

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\Downloads

or

C:\Program Files\Maxis\TheSims\GameData\UserObjects

It seems to be a matter of personal taste where you put them. iffs can be sub-foldered. General consensus is that the game runs more smoothly and loads faster if your subfolders have 199 or fewer objects.

All skin (.bmp, .skn, .cmx) files go into

C:\ProgramFiles\Maxis\TheSims\GameData\Skins. Also CFP and BCF files, if they are in the Zip, go here. (thanks to Tammy from the FantaSim group for reminding me of these!)

Skin files cannot be sub-foldered. They have to be loose in the skins folder, or the game will not see them.

Wall files (.wll) go into

C:\Program Files\Maxis\TheSims\GameData\Walls

They can be subfoldered

Floor files (.flr) go to

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\GameData\Floors

They can be subfoldered

Roof files (.bmp, small files)

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\GameData\Roofs

Sometimes, a download will have very specific instructions about where something should be placed, and some things (like lphnts rideable horses) have multiple parts that need to be placed in different folders for the object to work properly in game. Unless you are very comfortable with the inner workings of your game, it is best to follow these special installation instructions.

Generally, the creators in the Sims community are very careful to provide high quality, safe content for our games. However, it is wise to be careful. Scan your new downloads with your antivirus program before unzipping, and regularly back up your game files in case of a problem.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
brown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had varying degrees of success with this method and find it works best with objects that have a softer edge (like a plant) than a hard edge (counter) but that may be a result of my not taking enough time with it ... so am offering this idea in an "as-is" state LOL. think of it as a fixer-upper.
Material 70-177 http://www.pass4sures.us/70-177-test.html
bluesage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAR files go to C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\Downloads thumbsup
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brown wrote:
I've had varying degrees of success with this method and find it works best with objects that have a softer edge (like a plant) than a hard edge (counter) but that may be a result of my not taking enough time with it ... so am offering this idea in an "as-is" state LOL. think of it as a fixer-upper.

Hi brown, and welcome to SO smile

I don't quite follow your meaning. Are you talking about custom content that you have made yourself?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: