Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My worst day ever!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atuhk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: My worst day ever! Reply with quote

I've heard stories, but never thought it would happen to me. I've always been careful about my comp and the net. Today I lost about 4Gbytes of downloads on my computer. I was doing some routine checks, and some surfing when I noticed my desktop download folder was empty.
I've been saving downloads in that folder for almost 8 years, and now they're all gone. At first I thought that maybe I just smudged over the shortcut, but no,, it was empty.
I don't know how or why, but it's all gone. 8 YEARS! I'm a lil bit sick. I've been running diags n scans all afternoon and there's no trace of the lost files. There doesn't seem to be any virus or trojans in my system... So I'm just lost...
Everything else seems to work ok, it's just hundreds/thousands of hours of sims history is lost, and I don't know why.
bluesage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cry
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really strange. And nothing else on your computer is missing?
Nana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be devastated. I hope you find the folder. sad

http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/savingthesims53/
http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/savingthesims54/
ruthml

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, that's awful. I would feel devastated as well. I suppose you have checked in the recycle bin and other folders on the desktop in case it got dragged there by mistake? Did you search for a particular file name in case it showed up?

patchover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hug Ah, I know that feeling...

We had a power outtage twice in a day

When I logged back in my whole World of Patty was gone cry

Eventually my sweet husband had an external hard drive, and it was..

EVERYTHING wave

So is there any way you might have backed up your hard drive?

Or put your downloads on CD's??

or shared them???

You might be able to download them again wink

hug I am so sorry for you.. It is a powerful feeling jfade's psycho

André

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad It's horrible!
I have been through something similar in 2004 I and my brother was surfing in the internet making downloads for the sims and there was a storm...the computer burned!
I missed the whole game and all dowloads, some things I never found more.
Oreocreme

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time I ever lost a whole folder like that, invariably I had accidentally dragged it into another folder. You might try doing a whole-system search for an object you know that you had, and see if anything pops up. It might just be hiding somewhere (I hope).
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my entire folder of working files for FA skins last week, everything for years.

I'd accidentally snagged it and dropped it into another folder. (There were back ups, but not for the past couple of months - a reminder to keep the back up process going and going and going.)

Atuhk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after a very bleak Monday, Tuesday ended up all shiny. Some of you had the answer. The missing downloads folder was located in "Documents and Settings\Atuhk\My Documents\My Pictures\Download" folder. The events that led up to this were a lil random. I remember doing some desktop cleanup Sunday night when we had a nasty power surge, and the comp went to trying to reboot itself. At that time I just shut it down. The next day I ran a bunch of diags and everything seemed ok. I went online and downloaded a couple of rar files and everything seemed normal. Except when I looked in the downloads folder, I found it was completely empty except for the 2 new rar files. After a moment of panic I ran some more diags, and did a search for anything with "download" in the file or folder name. lol, apparently I have about 70 folders tucked away in my directory tree named "download/s", sigh.

Once before I had problem with a worm that came in a downloaded winrar program. I was reminded of that and wondered if somehow something sinister came packed with the rar files and then creamed my downloads folder. As it turns out the folder had already been accidentally dragged from the desktop and nested into the My Computer directory. I had been moving some html files and accompanying support folders. Later when the rar files were downloaded the utility simply created a new downloads folder to the desktop when it didn't find the old folder.

So after a series of mishaps and two days of hand wringing and gnashing of teeth all my files are ok. And also now I'm officially an idiot,, lol. Thanks for your concern and helpful suggestions.
smile rolleyes
bluesage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreocreme wrote:
Any time I ever lost a whole folder like that, invariably I had accidentally dragged it into another folder. You might try doing a whole-system search for an object you know that you had, and see if anything pops up. It might just be hiding somewhere (I hope).

Hurrah !! clap
'

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, keep your game running. notworthy

yes
'
Sita

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now write them to DVDs before you lose them again. Even if you never need the disks, it makes you feel better!

(I speak from experience, having lost 8 years worth of research in a nasty drive failure, as well as some gigs of Sims downloads over the years.)

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
pawlee1023

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also accidentally dragged one folder into another, and went into a panic trying to figure out what happened to my precious files surprise

I'm glad everything turned out OK for you - I love a "happy ending" biggrin

- Polly
Nana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great so see you found the lost file Atuhk. Backing it up is a really great idea. thumbsup

http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/savingthesims53/
http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/savingthesims54/
Oreocreme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so happy that you found it. There is nothing worse than losing years of Sims downloads. biggrin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: