Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create new object instace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Create new object instace Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I've recently played Sins 3 and got inspired by their workbenches were sims can make a variety of different objects. I managed to get the Garden Gnome Workbench to do the same thing but have run into some difficulties.

When the object is created it is placed in the corner of the lot instead of near the workbench. I've tried the following placement options:
Place in my hand - nothing happens and the action drops out of the sim's cue.
I've also tried the method suggested in the Whoobsa tutorials were the placement of the new object is assigned to an attribute - same thing happens as above.

The only placement option that works so far is: user editable, prefer empty.

It isn't a huge problem but I would prefer that the objects are created a bit closer to the bench. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Edit - This is my first hacking attempt and I have no idea what I'm messing up! blush
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Van,

I'm not sure which tutorials you are referring to. If it's Grapholina's Sims College Lessons then you'll want to revisit this page:
http://woobsha.com/SimsCollegeArchive/ELH-04/07.html
which is where you stop experimenting with various numbers and settle on creating the object by GUID and
http://woobsha.com/SimsCollegeArchive/ELH-04/10.html
which creates an object and places it all in a single line (instead of using Function 16 'Find Location For...'). The latter requires some set up, though, so that your sim is not standing in the space you'd like to new object to appear.

If you'd rather (or need) for objects to appear on the ground then you may have to store the workbench's object id in a local variable before you create a new object instance. Once you use function 42, that new object becomes the "stack object" so trying to Find Location For in relative terms to "the stack object" wont work out ... your stack object's out of world at that point, trying to find spot near itself.

By storing the object id in a local variable early on
Code:
Local Variable 0 Assign To: Stack Object ID
HEX parameters: 01 00 00 00 00 05 19 0A

you can later use Function 16 and place the newly crafted object in relation to Local Variable #.
Code:
Find Location For (start at Local Variable 0, user editable, prefer empty)
HEX parameters: 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 00

I believe that'll place the object on the floor, closer to the table.

In my case, I wanted my craftsman to make furniture and carry it over and put it down. For a sim to carry an item it has to be 1) light weight enough, 2) allowed at height 6, and 3) single tiled (since multi-tiled objects are only allowed on the floor). I ran into some trouble, however, because I needed the functioning furniture to be 'heavy" enough to function properly. So I created a workaround system - the bench created a decorative version f the crafted object which was swapped for the real thing once the Sim put it down on the ground. So each piece of craftable furniture was really 2 objects,the deco version and the functioning version. In many cases I can combine the two into a single object but for surfaces and seats I needed the workaround.

Van

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Raven! Thanks for responding!
I'm not on my own computer right now but will follow your suggestions as soon as I can.
Did you already make a similar workbench?
whistle Because if you did it's bound to better than my hacked-up hack job!
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh doubtful. It was done a long time ago when woobsha.com was first started and I've learned a lot about hacking since then. That workbench was meant to be a workstation for the woobsha crop (the way the grapes and t'mater crops have canning stations associated with them. "Woobsha" is a plant.) but abandoned because Melissa did not feel up to the graphics. It was never completed. Those few similar items that did make it to the public since then have been single tile and incorporated parts of on easel in. The pumpkin carving kit and (christmas) tree trimming kits available for download here at Simblesse Oblige are examples.

But I'd be certainly be happy to make one for you if you'd like. Toss an email to me describing what you'd like as an end result and we can hash it out. (ooh perhaps you'll inspire me to finish the robot making table!! ... No. Probably not)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: