Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gender roles in The Sims
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximum411

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Gender roles in The Sims Reply with quote

I've recently noticed that unlike almost every other video game I've played, in the Sims, the two genders are essentially completely equal. A woman can become a general in the army, or propose to her husband, and anything one sex can do, the other can as well. Men can jump into their spouse's arms, and take equal care of babies- women don't even get pregnant! It's an egalitarian paradise! I think it's wonderful that a game is defying conventional stereotypes and not making men the focus of the game. My question is: are there any ways in which the two sexes are not equal in the game? Is there anything one sex can do that another can't- or are they really perfectly equal?
bluesage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lady never stands at the toilet. no

------------------------------------------------------------

Eunuchs, the non-gender-specific OS
'
diome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sims is also amazingly equal what comes to sexual minorities. thumbsup Apart from the fact same sex couples can't marry. thumbsdown But that's just a tiny issue to me - they can arrange parties whenever they wish.

The thing that has always bothered me most is the horrible jealousy of sims and how they react. jfade's psycho As if slapping in the face was something you do when someone dances etc. with your beloved one. no Great that people do stuff to "fix" the sims.;) I love the "no jealousy patch" - it has by the way also allowed me even more liberty with the minorities. grouphug
Madoria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually - SiMale made the Gay Marriage hack so that same couple sims could marry.
The site seems to be gone now. rolleyes

Wayback seems to have a few of the hacks there
http://web.archive.org/web/20070103003913/http://devoted.to/SIMale/

wink

anoush

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had to gay male sims once and they had a baby without benefit of a hack. smile
Anoush

maximum411

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True- I guess in The Sims world they only have civil unions biggrin Maybe it's time for some political action on the part of our Sims. Then again, in The Sims being gay is a choice, and if that were the case in real life, gay marriage probably wouldn't be that big of a deal (of course, being gay is not a choice in real life, and is justifiably a big deal).

Anoush- really? And it wasn't an adoption? Is that something that happens in the game, or do you think it was just a glitch?

diome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My same sex couples have had babies by the regular adoption. Or at least got the phonecall... I'm not big on having to take care of the regular babies - hacked ones are far better.;) Though most of my sims - no matter what preference - will have their kids ready made. I like to write histories to them and have complete control over how they'll look like.

Madoria: thanks for the tip!:D Not sure if I'll download such a hack, since I prefer regular parties over weddings in general. My sim weddings have seemed pretty lame, perhaps because they didn't have many friends or much money or something.

I've downloaded a Pride Shop though.;) It just needs to be built, like most of the downtown and old town after the latest re-installation... The night clubs tend to have also an "adult area", since I've downloaded M&M's Needful Things animations and objects. But those stuff are for all the sims who wish to use them.;) Because of that there are sometimes surprises in who likes to do what. So I guess none of my sims are actually strictly gay or straight, though they mostly have a preference.

Speaking of the original subject of the topic, I started writing a story on the TSR forums http://forums.thesimsresource.com/showthread.php?p=3944136#post3944136 and came up with an architect, Annikki Atrium, who will be responsible for the layout of several business centers. She's living alone in her relatively large house with some classic design stuff. She likes to travel and stroll around the city just for fun. She deffinitely doesn't feel like she'd need a man, though has a lover (unintentionally started relationship - one of those surprises, because I thought Annikki was more into women and probably she is, this father of two and husband of a very nice woman just happens to be a gentleman who's seen a lot of the world and is into culture just the way she is, and unlike his wife, who is more a traditional homemaker). A scandal in the making. laugh They have no intention on marrying though, it's just casual fun. Does it sound like Sex and the (Sim)City?
kthspian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sim ladies complain about up toilet seats. Men don't seem to be able to figure out how to lower them all the time. Some of the female job uniforms are skirts rather than trousers, but that's extremely minor.
Shaddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My same sex couples have had babies by the regular adoption. Or at least got the phonecall.

Two guys in my Sims got the "should we have a baby?" dialogue once after "playing" in the Love Bed. I clicked no, but I can't help but wonder what might have happened...

(I was using the Simfully Pregnancy hack on another woman in the lot at the time, I wonder if that caused the dialogue to pop up with the guys)
purplewowies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diome wrote:
My same sex couples have had babies by the regular adoption. Or at least got the phonecall... I'm not big on having to take care of the regular babies - hacked ones are far better.;) Though most of my sims - no matter what preference - will have their kids ready made. I like to write histories to them and have complete control over how they'll look like.

My same-sex couple (the civil union between Claire Charming and Carrie Somebody) resulted in eight(ish) kids (all named with "C" names) through various sources. A couple were adoption, but several were sperm donation through the Simfully painting where the donor was a random Townie or a Somebody (who I then locked in a box, because otherwise, they always ended up being pregnant to the maid whistle laugh).
André

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially like the Simslice hack for the ladies walk like ladies.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want your gay couple to have a baby, it's easy to change the sex of one to female or male temporarily, then buy a love bed. I think of this process as "in lecto" fertilization. laugh

Last edited by bruja on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
anoush

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it was a glitch. But it asked if they wanted a baby after kissing smile I had a neighborhood where I put all the people that were friends and family in my real life. It blew me away. Whats really cute is the real life couple went on to adopt a darling little girl.
Anoush

maximum411

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anoush wrote:
I don't know if it was a glitch. But it asked if they wanted a baby after kissing smile I had a neighborhood where I put all the people that were friends and family in my real life. It blew me away. Whats really cute is the real life couple went on to adopt a darling little girl.
Anoush

Maybe you influenced something biggrin

Actually, I'm curious about something else, too. Does anyone with Unleashed know if the pets only "cuddle" with the opposite sex, or if they are as flexible as Sims themselves when it comes to partner choice?

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anoush wrote:
I don't know if it was a glitch. But it asked if they wanted a baby after kissing smile

Since sims can have babies not by sex, It's not surprising that same-sex couples are just as likely to have a visit from the flower fairy.

As for pets... no idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: