Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing Sims 1 with Windows 7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Installing Sims 1 with Windows 7 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a new computer with Windows 7 and am having trouble installing and running Sims 1 on it. I'm wondering if anyone has managed a successful install and how they did it?
Liz
JustDenise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed it with no problems twice. I wasn't even aware that people were having issues with Windows 7 and The Sims. Sorry I can't help you. The only thing I did was disable my antivirus software.

"If you canna see the bright side, polish the dull side."
~The Old Men of Freya Crags
Lizm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JustDenise,

What method did you use to install and are you running 32 bit or 64 bit? I mean did you run as administrator or just use the install that appears with autorun?
Liz
JustDenise

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizm wrote:
Hi JustDenise,

What method did you use to install and are you running 32 bit or 64 bit? I mean did you run as administrator or just use the install that appears with autorun?
Liz

64 bit and I just used the install that appears with autorun.

Lizm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Installing Sims 1 with Windows 7 Reply with quote

Hi Denise,

I have set my computer at 32 bit and can't change that now but will try installing using the autorun method without using administrator. Haven't anything to lose at this stage - maybe it will work.
Liz
Shaddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Windows 7 and was able to install Sims without any problems. I would probably try running the install as Administrator; I don't remember if I did that or not but you DO need to run the game itself as Administrator or else it won't work properly (or so I'm told).
Lizm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Installing Sims 1 with Windows 7 Reply with quote

Hi Shaddo,

I finally got my game installed. I decided to do a system roll back to when I first tried to install the game. Then I installed each expansion in order as Administrator in XP2 mode. I played each expansion for a while, then added the next expansion and so on. Finally got every one installed and have added nearly all my downloads from the old computer.

Seems to be quite stable and is working. I play as Administrator.

By the way, the autorun install feature did not work with Windows 7. It let me install but then wouldn't play.
Liz
JustDenise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you got it installed finally! smile

thecomputerwhiz1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Windows 7 64 bit and I was able to get The Sims installed with no problems. And it plays like a charm.
Sita

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get it to save - it will install, and run, but crashes to desktop whenever I ask it to save :(

help

Anyone have any ideas? I'm running as Admin, and it's on my D drive, ie not in Program Files or Program Files (X86) and in compatibility mode as XP service pack 3. I can't find any more ideas than this on the net...

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Weezzle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience it's different not only for 32 and 64 bit but also for Home and Professional edition. On Win7 Home Premium I could install Sims deluxe and play it just fine, but there was no way I could install higher EPs than Vacation. It did the install routine but the game didn't start.

I solved the problem with a virtual machine. https://www.virtualbox.org/
With this you can create a virtual XP PC on your new PC.
It is a bit complicated at first but there is good documentation and a helpful community. You will need an old WinXP CD. It solves the problem for all coming new Windows versions as long as Virtual Box supports Win XP.
Sita

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that might be my last resort. I don't like virtual machines though.
This is Win 7 Professional Edition.

I really don't get why my issue IS NOT about getting it to install but about SAVING, while everyone else seems to have issues with installing in the first place and then it runs... story of my life I spose.

I need to wait till the winter cough-season is over and my head is clear of snot and infection and stuff ( sorry for the yuck factor) and then I will try fiddling around some more.

Thanks all for the advice.

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
purplewowies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes VMs can sap memory though (I had an XP VM with Microsoft's official virtual XP things (which could also install the Sims) and it started sapping memory, so I just decided to build a piece of malware that would destroy its system files. It was fun.). There's also the potential act of installing XP as a separate partition (which could prove move complex but would allow a more compatible OS).

As an aside, how wouldn't the game start up? I installed it (Win 7 32 bit Professional) and it started giving me a message of "oh, you need to install Deluxe (or something) over this" (which is a standard spiel with some expansions but not those, especially since it was usually asking to install the last expansion over the last expansion). Clicking that you wanted to would result in complete uninstall. Running as admin fixed that problem for me... but then it's quite possible that's not your problem here. XP
jfade's psycho
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running the game as an administrator as well?

DERP yes you are.

Do you have any virus protection software that might "protect" program files?

Sita

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me? It starts fine, installs fine but crashes when I try to save :(

Nothing like AV that would interfere, and yes administrator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: