Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The instant gratification of walls and floors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: The instant gratification of walls and floors Reply with quote

I discovered when I really wanted to begin making something for my game that object making was kind of complicated. I wanted to make something RIGHT NOW. Making walls and floors was a way that I could enjoy the fruits of my labor quickly, while learning the more complicated mechanics of object-making.

Maxis has made it quite easy for us with their Homecrafter program, available for free at http://thesims.ea.com/us/index.html?menu=getcool&content=getcool/ Edit: link no longer works. The Homecrafter program is apparently available at CTO.
I think you have to register now to download things at their site, but it's free and I don't get emailed junk from them. As far as I know, this is the only program that converts graphic files to the .wll and .flr files needed for the game.

Basics--
A wall is a graphic that is 128 pixels wide by 240 pixels high. Until not long ago, I made all of my walls using just plain old Microsoft Paint. Not easy, but definitely possible--you can look at my website to see how they turned out, even with a very basic program. I now use Paint Shop Pro, which allows much more flexibility.

I use free textures found on the internet, bits of art, things I scan, and arrange them in the 128x240 space. It is important to have a seamless texture if you want a pattern that flows nicely around a room, though I have made some really nice medieval walls by using rug graphics to make panels. If you have a texture that doesn't tile seamlessly, SimFreaks has a nice tutorial on how to fix that at their website-- http://www.simfreaks.com/tips/walls.shtml

Homecrafter is pretty intuitive--after you save your graphic, open Homecrafter, import the file, and put it on the walls in the program to look at it. You can zoom in and out, and use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move up and down (it took me a while to figure that out).

Create your description, name and price your wall, and then export it. Homecrafter will give you a chance to browse which folder you want to put your file in. I have a folder, in C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\GameData\Walls\kimswalls that I keep just for my Homecrafter walls. Homecrafter converts your file into a .wll file and puts it in your specified folder. The default will be C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\GameData\Walls. Your .wll file will be named whatever you named your graphic, so keep that in mind if you want to share your walls. I didn't put my name on most of my first files, and I wish I had--I'll have to rename all of them!

Your walls will also show up in your game according to first their price and then their file name, not the name you see in-game. If your file is named "annieswall1.wll" but you called it "Purple Hippos on Skateboards" in your description, it will show up near the beginning of the catalog because of the filename.

Floor files are pretty much the same--but they need to be at least 64x64 to work. You can experiment with how slightly bigger or smaller graphics look. Sometimes, a 64x64 graphic doesn't look so hot in game, but a 120x120 looks really nice when shrunk by Homecrafter.

I have had a wonderful time making walls and floors, and now that I am learning object making, it's very satisfying to be able to quickly make a little furniture set something more special with a nice matching wall and floor.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17

Last edited by TheIms3 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
MissJai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: The Sim site. Reply with quote

The link given seems to be unavailable. I loved that site. I wished I had homecrafter. Is there any other viable and usable link to homecrafter, lest I should do it myself I know, but this forum is so awesome, I am not done looking it over.. man if I only knew about this place before lol.
Madoria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best rescource for Sims prorgrams that does different things is Sims Programs site.

On this page you can find Homecrafter:
http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims/the-sims-1/the-sims-programs/programs-the-sims-wall-floor-editors/

Edit: link no longer works. The Homecrafter program is apparently available at CTO.

Also look at the others- specially SimWall Cat is a must have !
It can recat prize of the walls and floors.
Also look at them outside of the game and see in which folder ingame they are installed if you ever whish to remove or move them.

Madoria wink

Noggly2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: HomeCrafter Reply with quote

The second link no longer works either :(
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Noggly2,

I don't have the original Homecrafter zip. However, I have put together a zip which I believe has all the parts that came with Homecrafter, and have emailed it to the emaill addy you gave when you joined.

Good luck! Walls and floors can be a lot of fun!

bruja, admin

Vega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifth item on the page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: