Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with cloning a computer *solved*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skarlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: help with cloning a computer *solved* Reply with quote

I'm rather new to modding and such so please bear with me if I fail to understand things lol...

This is a little personal project I've been trying to work on off and on for about a year now. What I'd like to do is take the steampunk computer by Aponee simz (found at the SSOW) and give it the same functions as the work at home computer from Some Sim Things, but I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

Everything seems to come out fine, except for the two extra functions (mail and work at home), they turn up as "invisible" in the Graphical States list under View Object in T-Mog. So clearly there's something missing here, something that I've overlooked, but every tutorial I've come across hasn't been very helpful in fixing this.

The first few times I tried this, it seemed to come out somewhat okay, but with some errors. It would work in game but would throw the error "Some objects could not be loaded" whenever I entered a residential or community lot--sometimes even when the computer was never placed there. But on the lots it was on it'd still be there and work fine as intended. It also did not show up properly in the catalog.. it would look like the work at home computer, but the picture in the description would be the steampunk one, and if I removed the original work at home computer the new one would disappear too.

So I was fine with all this for the time being because I was tired of fooling with it and at least it did what I wanted it to do. But after a year it decided to go invisible whenever a sim would 'work from home' or 'email' and it would stay that way and be rendered useless once they were done--unless I clicked a normal function like 'play' or 'turn off' before they were finished with the previous action, then it would become visible again and could still be used.

With that new problem I tried again with fixing or recloning it but.. I'm not getting anywhere and am at my wit's end! Could someone possibly help me do this right and get it working properly as it should? I'd REALLY appreciate all the help I can get!

Last edited by Skarlin on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron_of_Mpls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mail and work options use their own screens, which aren't present in the steampunk computer.

I've actually done this before when making work versions of other computers. It involved cloning the work computer, and copying exported sprites from the non-work computer into the clone's export folders (and renaming the copied files so they'll be imported in the originals' place).

There's a way to do it in IFF Pencil too -- copying DGRP and SPR2 resources -- but I'm not awake enough to document it right now.

Skarlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron_of_Mpls wrote:
The mail and work options use their own screens, which aren't present in the steampunk computer.

I've actually done this before when making work versions of other computers. It involved cloning the work computer, and copying exported sprites from the non-work computer into the clone's export folders (and renaming the copied files so they'll be imported in the originals' place).

There's a way to do it in IFF Pencil too -- copying DGRP and SPR2 resources -- but I'm not awake enough to document it right now.

Yes, that's what I realized when it recently started messing up, but strange that it worked (albeit with minor errors) before. I've followed Raeven's tutorial on cloning, copying DGRP and SPR2 as well as PALT resources, but to no avail.

So I'm at a loss as to what else to do right now, lol.
peter9g

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An important thing to remember when switching graphic states is that the DGRP resource numbers have to be in sequence, and the sequence has to be defiined in the OBJD resource for that tile.

So if you look at the original Maxis computer.iff OBJD for the cheap computer, the default DGRP is 100 and there are eight states, so the graphic states are DGRP 100 - 107.

The OBJD for the expensive computer defines the default DGRP as 300, also uses eight states, so the graphic states are DGRP 300 - 307.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Skarlin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Yes, that I've noticed too.

Following that tutorial from Woobsha, it said to check the base graphic ID and dynamic sprite base ID on the original object and cloned one and make sure the numbers match. But it never mentions what to do if they don't, so naturally I don't know what to do lol. And whenever I'm trying to clone this object they never match, so I'm still stuck figuring this out.

And sorry for the absence. I didn't mean to drop from the thread but some serious RL stuff came up for a while that took me away, but now I'm back.
KarinL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skarlin wrote:
Following that tutorial from Woobsha, it said to check the base graphic ID and dynamic sprite base ID on the original object and cloned one and make sure the numbers match. But it never mentions what to do if they don't, so naturally I don't know what to do lol. And whenever I'm trying to clone this object they never match, so I'm still stuck figuring this out.

You have to rename either the sprites themselves, or change the numbers in the object.
I usually change the object, unless there aren't that many sprites. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after several grueling days and hours, rereading everyone's advice and various threads throughout this forum several times over until it all got through to my brain, and cloning and recloning, I am quite happy to say that I've finally got this computer functioning. *whew*

Thanks so so much guys for all the help! I seriously appreciated it. <3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: