Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sally Finkelstein and Alice Liddell. Happy Halloween!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Seasonal Gifts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiffRaff1138

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Sally Finkelstein and Alice Liddell. Happy Halloween! Reply with quote

I don't often share, or even show off, my Sims creations, but with Halloween just around the corner, I figured this would be the perfect time to share these two.

EDIT: The zips for these skins are in a later post on this page of the thread.

(thumbnail, click for big)

First up, I have Sally Finkelstein from The Nightmare Before Christmas. Download here. I've technically been working on this skin for years. I'm pretty sure I submitted two... let's call them prototypes of Sally, to The Sims Resource years ago. (Is that site even around still?) As my ability with Photoshop and Milkshape improved ("improved" being a relative term here), I would go back and revise some of my work, almost always including Sally. This final revision is only a few months old. This time I had the benefit of having ripped Sally's model and textures from Kingdom Hearts for reference material, so I could look at Sally from any angle I needed, instead of having to rely on static artwork and screencaps.

Due to the fact that Sally has a non-standard skin color, I've created a full complement of secondary outfits for her, including two alternates, which can be seen above in the needlessly-elaborate preview image. Sally's head and primary outfit use custom meshes. However, because I wanted to challenge myself and I'm not entirely sane, I decided that all of her secondary skins would use default Maxis meshes, but would all be based on other Tim Burton- (and/or, to a lesser extent, Henry Selick-) related properties. What I ended up with was:

Formalwear:
f401 - Emily's wedding dress from Corpse Bride. This was a no-brainer.
f402 - The Martian Girl's dress from Mars Attacks! I noticed it basically had the same shape as the White Gold mesh, and simply had to do it.

High Fashion:
h560 - Miss Spider from James and the Giant Peach (directed by Selick, produced by Burton, just like Nightmare). It's also a little reminiscent of Burton's painting "Blue Girl with Wine", which served as the initial basis of Sally's design.

Pyjamas:
l403 - Lydia's Overworld casual outfit from the Beetlejuice cartoon series.

Swimwear:
s100 - A one-piece suit with spiderweb design inspired by Lydia's Netherworld dress, again from the Beetlejuice cartoon. I really like Beetlejuice, in case you couldn't guess.
S403 - Mrs. Lovett's bathing suit from the "By the Sea" sequence from Sweeney Todd, though with a much longer skirt due to my silly self-challenge.

Winterwear:
w502 - A Santa suit. This was supposed to be based on Jack's Sandy Claws outfit, but that's basically just a red jumpsuit with fur around the cuffs. Not a lot of detail. I added enough detail to make it just a generic Santa suit instead.

Because the question seems inevitable: No, I have no intention of doing a Jack skin. He's a skeleton, and there's just no way to make meshes designed for a fleshy person look convincingly like a skeleton. Admittedly, that's only really a problem in the case of the nude skin, since everything else can use a custom mesh, but I'm spergy enough that that matters to me.

(thumbnail, click for big)

Secondly, I have Alice Liddell, from Alice: Madness Returns. Download here. You might know Alice better from the book Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (or, who am I kidding here, from the Disney movie based on it). This is Alice a little older than you may remember and filtered through the mind of id Software alumnus American McGee: Slowly recovering from a decade in a psychosomatic coma, brought on by the deaths of her parents and sister Lizzie in an accidental (or was it?) house fire.

I made an Alice skin years ago, based on American McGee's Alice, (precursor to Madness Returns) by ripping her textures from the game and cutting and pasting them into a Sims texture. Accurate, yes, but also lazy and unethical. With the release of Madness Returns, I obtained Alice's MR models for reference, and set out to make new Alice skins from scratch. Though, to give credit where it's due, I should note that I made pretty extensive use of detail textures from American McGee's Alice as Photoshop overlays in making these skins (and Sally's come to think of it). No actual Madness Returns content though!

Alice doesn't have any custom secondary skins, like Sally does. However, she does have multiple primary outfits, consisting of all of the dresses worn throughout Madness Returns (including her London dress, but excluding downloadable content and her Rutledge Asylum straightjacket). Each of Alice's outfits uses a unique custom mesh, while her head uses c401 from Hot Date (not included, because I figure anyone who still plays The Sims probably has the expansions by now. If this is a problem, tell me).

I should probably note that I tend not to use anyone else's custom content, so when I seek out unused numbers for my meshes, I'm only finding numbers unused by Maxis or myself. If you download a lot of custom meshes, I can pretty much guarantee you're gonna have to re-number Alice's files, and maybe Sally's as well. In any case, I hope you all enjoy these skins!

Edit: Fixed download links

Last edited by RiffRaff1138 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
VivianLee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - these are amazing. Thank you!
bluesage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Holidays !! biggrin
RiffRaff1138

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesage wrote:
Happy Holidays !! biggrin

Hah! Nice! Did you make those? Jack's human hands are bothering me way more than they probably should. I do like those decorations, though, especially the wreath.

...Aaand I just realized that, currently, my Alice and Sally have no room for a Christmas tree in their house. I'll have to do some rearranging once December rolls around.
bluesage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decor by Grim Sims, thus at CTO. smile

Jack is at the Sims Resource. biggrin

...with better hands. laugh
okester

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiffRaff1138, I really want your Sally skins, but apparently the download is no longer available... could you please re-post a download link?
brandon902

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okester wrote:
RiffRaff1138, I really want your Sally skins, but apparently the download is no longer available... could you please re-post a download link?

Me too! biggrin
ForensicaFrump

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have seen all of your wonderful skins at your
photoshop folder! We would love to add them ALL
to our skins collection. Pretty please? yes

Perhaps you could give permission for one of the
moderators or long time members here at SO to
release them if they are willing. You know you can
trust them to honor your preferences, their reputation
is long standing. thumbsup

Please allow your wonderful skins to be made available
once more and thank you for sharing them the first
time. People like you help make the games of the non
creators (like our family biggrin !) even more fun.

We would love to see more of your creations in the
future!

Whatever you decide to do, we really love your skins!!
We have a weak spot for Alice!!

notworthy yes laugh smile wink

The Frump Family

No matter what our decortating tastes, religious preferences, political beliefs, favorite colours or planets of origin, anyone who has ever played The Sims or The Sims 2, speaks Simmish. Talk about your true universal language!
bluesage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice at TSR:
http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/browse/category/sims1-skins/search/alice/ wink

Sally At TSR:
http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/browse/category/sims1-skins/search/alice/ biggrin thumbsup
ForensicaFrump

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bluesage,

Thank you for the links, we had collectted
that version of Alice as well as several others
over the years. We had missed RiffRaffs set.
smile

We do love the detail and change in fabrics
RiffRaff added to the both sets. Which were
obviously a labor of love. We tried finding
RR thru other sites as well as some Sims 2
skins which may or may not be his work. Alas
nothing but a few postings, mostly several years
old. no

We are hoping someday word will reach him
and one way or another permission and the
files will once more be available here. Eyes
and fingers crossed. yes

Thank you again for the links, actually we
found a wonderful Alice Cooper skin while
we were there... notworthy love at first
"site". laugh

Sims_cerely grateful,

The Frumps

No matter what our decortating tastes, religious preferences, political beliefs, favorite colours or planets of origin, anyone who has ever played The Sims or The Sims 2, speaks Simmish. Talk about your true universal language!
bluesage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, FF, for the "thank you". laugh

I also like Alice from the "Resident Evil" series, Milla Jovovich. thumbsup

She played with Bruce Willis in "Fifth Element". yes
RiffRaff1138

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh crap. A while ago, the files disappeared from my Mediafire account for some reason. I re-uploaded them, but I completely forgot to fix the links above.

Here is Alice, and here is Sally.

And just in case they suddenly disappear again, some redundant attachments:
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to shift this thread over to one of the download threads, where it will be more easily found.

bruja, admin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Seasonal Gifts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: