Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

That $%@#$@ school bus...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abeternal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: That $%@#$@ school bus... Reply with quote

Ok, I'm seriously stuck here.

I have used Tmog to clone the school bus, made it invisible, and placed the invisible version in Downloads. Next I edited Carportal.iff to see the new bus (BHAV: Create School Bus, new object id). The invisible bus arrives ok, but the kids do not respond to it, not even when I click on it and tell them to "go to school".

A similar hack for my invisible car works perfectly for the adults going to work. I followed the same procedure for both. Are the kids just more stupid than the adults, or is the school bus special?

Any input would be appreciated. I have checked every BHAV of the Carportal looking for the bus id, but to no avail. It only appears in Create School Bus. angry mad sad

Aaron_of_Mpls

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what else you'd need to edit to make the clone work.

I suppose you could try changing the carportal BHAVs back, extracting the bus from the FAR (i.e., copying it out with a program that can read FAR files, like FarOut) instead of cloning it, and making the copy invisible. Unlike a clone, an extracted version will have the same GUIDs as the original in the FAR, so it should replace it without any BHAV editing.

KarinL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the behavior associated with the school bus is probably based on the original school bus GUID. So any clone of the school bus is not recognised by the game as being a school bus, so it basically does nothing at all.

If you want to make a global replacement for the school bus (or in fact, for ANY object or NPC in the game), you need to put an edited copy with the same name and GUID outside the .far file in the original game folder.

In this case, you need a copy (not a clone) of schoolbus.iff in the Objects folder where objects.iff is located.
To make the copy, you need to extract the file from the .far file, just like Aaron said. Then you can edit the extracted .iff file to be invisible. The new invisible copy will have the same GUID as the original schoolbus, so it will behave like a schoolbus.

As long as you place the replacement in the same folder as the .far file you took it from, your replacement will always override the original inside the .far.

If you're tired of the replacement and want to revert back to the original, all you need to do is remove the replacement, and the game will once again read the original inside the .far file.

In the same way you can make replacements for every NPC and object that is in the game .far files. That's how you can have a medieval postman, or a horse-drawn carriage to replace the taxi.

I hope this helps?

Oh, by the way, don't forget to put back the original carport.iff :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it worked! My Sims disappear happily in front of the house when leaving for work or school. biggrin

I edited the FWAV's to use the trolley bell sound instead of those annoying horns. you also don't hear them driving off... Much more medieval.

Thanks a stack! yes

KarinL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, I'm glad it worked. thumbsup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: