Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check your safe!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Check your safe! Reply with quote

This is a community service announcement from me. If you have a fireproof safe at home with documents in it, check to see if the documents are sound. I closed my safe deposit box last year after buying a fireproof waterproof safe and moved all of my documents into it. Two days ago I needed my birth certificate for something, opened the new safe and IT WAS FULL OF BLACK MOLD! My birth certificate is barely legible. The other documents are badly foxed.
I discovered that this is a common problem with fireproof safes. Just the teeny bit of moisture present in normal air is enough to start mold growing if the safe is in a warm place which mine is. In microscopic print in the safe instructions, it actually says you're supposed to air your safe once a week and keep desiccants inside. Serves me right for not reading the fine print I suppose.
Poetica

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible. :( I hope you're able to get replacements of your important documents at a reasonable cost.

But thank you for the heads up. Who would have thought to read the fine print for something like that?!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael bought one.. I never have seen that before..

He put it in our bedroom on his dresser.. We don't have much in it now but will in time wink

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately it was just my birth certificate, the top document in the pile, that was badly affected. I can get another copy later but it is still legible right now. But I wonder what it would have been like in another 6 months? I'm so glad I looked! Wish I would have read the fine print before locking it though.
bluesage

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shoe stores will give you a packet of dessicant, which prevents moisture. yes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: