Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much an object appeals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplewowies

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: How much an object appeals Reply with quote

Okay... so I have the pastry/breadboxes (that I'm pretty sure are from SSOW), and I've always thought they were amazing. However, they have one problem: they're so danged appealing! I moved a Sim family into a house and had them buy a breadbox. Over the course of one day (probably actually less than 12 hours), the daughter had pulled SIX cakes out of it! And only one had one slice eaten out of it! And the mother had no counter space to prepare dinner.

I have a feeling I've asked this before, but how do you lower how much an object advertises itself? And would I edit the breadbox or the food? (I'd think it would be the breadbox, since she wasn't eating the cake, just pulling it out of the breadbox, but I wanted to be completely sure.)
apathetic lizardman

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that too.

It's fairly easy to fix: you need to lower the advertisement values for the interactions in IffPencil. They're in the TTAs resource, if I recall correctly.

purplewowies

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the advertisement values, but which ones should I lower? All of them? All of the food choices have a hunger advertisement between 0 and 70 usually, but a couple have energy between 0 and something like 65478. surprise
apathetic lizardman

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower the upper energy advertisement values for all the interactions; setting them to zero would probably be a a good idea, >60,000 is simply ridiculous, especially considering the object provides no energy as far as I know.

You might also want to lower the maximum hunger value to 10 or 20 or so, while you're at it; and lower any other advertisements that seem abnormally high.

As I said, do it for all the interactions, save the file, and you're done :)

Raeven

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As 65535 is negative one I assume 65494 (which shows in my fridges) is negative fourty-two (-42) and acts to discourage Sims from using the food dispenser when they are tired. I have never been able to test this conclusively, so simply followed Maxis' example. I suspect Candall did as well, leaving the ads as he found them when making the breadbox.

Setting them to zero as advised wont harm much - at most it'll mean they snack when more tired on occasion.

Lowering the hunger ad excessively will, in all likelihood, discourage your sim from using the object altogether, unless there is nothing else that dispenses food on the lot. If something else (a fridge) exists they will use that. You can try lowering the hunger value below that of Ines' food as a quick fix solution.

The proper solution would be to fix the BHAV that checks to see if food is already served. Maxis used GUIDs which is why most custom food dispensers are used when food is already available.

apathetic lizardman

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I didn't think about that possibility: in my experience Sims would behave like total addicts around the pastry boxes. Maybe I was imagining it. :P
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it advertised just under the foods it dispenses? Shouldn't that make the sims prefer the already dispensed foodstuff?
Raeven

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apathetic lizardman wrote:
Interesting. I didn't think about that possibility: in my experience Sims would behave like total addicts around the pastry boxes. Maybe I was imagining it. :P

Maybe.
Or maybe the game is a huge complex system and the entire lot combined with gameplay dictates what objects are use used most often, a wonderful double edged sword that results in
1) Different players having different experiences that are completely out of the game designer and the hacker's control
2) Different players having WILDLY different experiences than the game modders/hackers who spend hours trying to balance things using what they can only hope is a good baseline without having any true idea of what downloads will be in others' games or how close these items will be placed to the one you are making.

I never had any problem with them. They advertise differently/lower than my well stocked fridge so that is generally chosen instead and, once my lot is actually built up properly and has enough stuff on it, those are not a big draw a lot of the time. In contrast I find it impossible to use C&C fridges, because they outweigh everything else on MY lots (and, sadly, the single meals outweigh group meals. an effort to reduce). Many other people don't have this issue since they have a different set of downloads that the C&C fridge is compete with.

Damon wrote:
What if it advertised just under the foods it dispenses? Shouldn't that make the sims prefer the already dispensed foodstuff?

Yes. Thank you, I'd tried mentioning the same thing but was rather vague. Thank you for putting it out there more clearly. You'd also want to check inside of the TEST Bhavs to see if any coding within is effecting the ad. Some appliances, quite cleverly, have a bit of code that adjusts the ad randomly. This allows your sim to chose different objects (or different instances of the same object) rather than sticking to just one. I don't recall if he (Candall) put that in the breadbox.

(to make sure the original question isn't lost altogether)
Purplewowies, if you don't mind "eliminating" free will choices, then change all of the hunger values throughout the breadbox to a very low number. Zero really would eliminate the free will choice. I'd make it between 1 and five, though. This way if there are no other objects on the lot the Sims can still use this via free will and if there are any others anywhere then they wont bother. If you DO want free will and enjoy seeing Sims in action a less sledgehammer approach would be needed.

This is essentially Damon's suggestion without the need to open each of the food files individually and see what their hunger ad is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: