Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunset garden - aaargh!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Sunset garden - aaargh! Reply with quote

Last summer, some idiot (the one who uses my toothbrush) observed once again how lovely the ligularia dentata http://em.ca/garden/per_ligularia_dentata1.html looks all summer at the back of a shade garden in my backyard when the late afternoon sun causes the red underside of the huge leaves to glow when a slight breeze ruffles them. So this spring that same idiot went to all the plant sale fund raisers run by local gardening clubs and bought a third ligularia dentata "Othello", and 2 different astilbes with red stems and blooms, and 3 different heuchera with red or purple foliage, and a dozen more different hostas. (Not to mention a few dozen other plants........)

Last Sunday, I had some time and some energy, and started to dig out the area where the sunset garden is to grow. 3 days of hard physical labour removed all the weeds and invasive plants, leaving only some gorgeous hosta and peonies that had been stuck into the ground a few years ago, because I'd bought them and they had to go someplace. Finally the mint, periwinkle, heliopsis, grass and other kleenex are cleaned out, and this morning I started to plant, including transplanting one short hosta that needed to be moved forward, and some sedum and monkshood from the more established part of the garden, so that the new part would blend better.

Of course, nothing is ever simple, and there was a pause before I could start planting, when my guy noticed that there were large dead branches on the hawthorns over the area where I was working. Nothing means Sunday morning like the sound of a chainsaw. laugh One trunk came down on top of a peony, but the plant will probably survive.

With luck, I'll get the rest of the 3x6 meter area planted and mulched today, if the rain holds off. It will look a bit battered for a while, but I'm demanding a splendid show from it next summer.

Oreocreme

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post a photo when it starts to bloom, Bruja. It sounds like it will be beautiful. If you have to live with an idiot, it is best to have one with good taste! smile
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got most of the perennials in yesterday. Most of the effect of the garden is to come from foliage, with the deep green of monkshood, some lime in 2 variegated huge-leafed hosta "Guacamole" and a lime and red variegated heuchera for which I have no name, and the burgundy of the "Othello" ligularia and heuchera "Frosted Violet" and "Blackout". Heuchera bloom is pretty insignificant, and while the ligularia will sport huge yellow daisy-like flowers all through late August and September, the flowers are only a bit of a bonus to the foliage. A very tall deep pink peony at the left edge of the bed is just finishing blooming, and one the the astilbes was blooming in a similar hue when I planted it. The pink goes amazingly well with the lime and dark greens, so I threw in a few larkspur blooming the same colour in cell packs.

Just before the rain started, I started adding annuals I grew from seed, including amaranth "Intense Purple" which is burgundy, not purple, snapdragon "Black Prince", and some coleus in shades of red, burgundy, and lime, plus some annual dianthus with a lot of time and burgundy in the foliage. Of course, those annuals should have been in the ground a month ago, but I was working on reclaiming an overgrown bed in a sunnier part of the garden before it got too hot. Today is the last day of gardening before the temperatures return to above 30C/86F, so I've got to try to get as many of the plants still in the greenhouse or cold frame into the ground as possible.

If the plants I put in yesterday perk up with an overnight soaking tonight, I'll try for a picture later this week.

Oreocreme

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are lucky you are getting rain. In Ohio, we have only had a couple of sprinkles here and there and the temperatures have been in the 90s (that is the 30s for all you Canadians, Europeans and Aussies out there). My container plants are getting cooked despite my watering them every day, and our lawns are brown. My roses, dianthus, and salvia were beautiful though. We had one thunderstorm with a hard rain for about 10 minutes, and it knocked all the rose petals off, so my roses are currently bare at the moment.

My bleeding heart, which always blooms in late May and early June, never bloomed at all. I have a bush that turns bright red in the fall (my mother called them firebushes but I am not sure of the proper name), and it has hardly any leaves. I am concerned that it might die. My impatiens are teeny-tiny despite being fertilized. We got mulch today so I am hoping that helps to hold in the moisture, but it stinks to high heaven! yuck

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have rain here in Seattle (surprise.) but my guttering got stopped up and I had to climb on a ladder and unstop in the deluge. Fortunately did not fall off nor get hit by lightning.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the rest of the sunset garden planted, though I took one coolish day (high around 18C) to wrestle out 3 huge old white peonies that were suffering from botrytis, after several years of being overcrowded by the thuggis plants, in one of the sun beds. It took hours to dig them out, and I had to add bags of black top soil to fill in the holes.

Yesterday, despite the heat, I put foxglove and delphiniiums, plus a pile of annual seedlings, into the space previously occupied by the peonies. Now only 2 flats of annuals are left to go in. smile

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oreocreme"]You are lucky you are getting rain. /quote] Even the thunderstorms are all passing us by.

Oreocreme wrote:
We got mulch today so I am hoping that helps to hold in the moisture, but it stinks to high heaven! yuck

What are you using? some kind of compost? I use only wood chips for the top layer. The compost and worm castings go underground, or at the least at ground level, with 3-5 inches of wood chips on top.

Oreocreme

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a condo, so the landscaping is all done by a company hired by the condo association. This is a very finely-textured mulch that is nice because it doesn't wash away as easily as the chunkier type, but it must have some sort of fertilizer in it, judging by the smell. That never lasts long, however. Just a couple of days. Today is so hot that I am running the air conditioning, so my windows are closed anyway. Hopefully by tomorrow the smell will be gone.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand the smell.

I picked my 3 best seedling delphiniums of those not yet in the ground, and set them aside for a nice neighbour who asked me for some on Friday. I set them in the garage, out of the sun before I went out Saturday. Sunday morning, I discovered that all the leaves had been eaten, leaving me with 3 pots of thin green stems to present to my neighbour. Red squirrels and chipmunks had a green (but I would have thought poisonous) snack. sad

Oreocreme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone was eating things at my house, too. I have some coral-colored geraniums. One was pulled out of the ground, the root end was eaten, and the top part of it was laying in a planter filled with impatiens. The herbivore must have been looking in there for dessert and dropped the geranium in the process. I don't know why I did it, but I stuck the top of the geranium in the hole it had been pulled from. I expected that it would wilt and have to be thrown out, but it rooted itself and now has gorgeous flowers. The flowers are actually bigger than the plant itself! That is about the only thing that has gone right in my flower beds all summer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: