Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rendering 3D models as 2D sprites in Anim8or

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecomputerwhiz1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Rendering 3D models as 2D sprites in Anim8or Reply with quote

I am having trouble rendering 2D images from 3D models in Anim8or. Does anyone know the proper rotations and zoom levels to make objects look right in The Sims?

The Sims 2: Disappointing

The Sims 3: Okay, but wasn't developed by Maxis!

The Sims 1 forever!

For great youtube videos, go here: www.youtube.com/thecomputerwhiz1
Poetica

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You rotate -15 for the SE view. Keep rotating 90 degrees to get the others.

As for the size, I think you have to just work it out. I suggest creating a template to use to start from in the future so once you do figure it out you don't have to keep doing it.

I usually start by using one of the 2 templates I created a while back. One version is a full tile (roughly) as it would be on the floor and the other is a full tile (roughly) just the wall part. (They are sized the same as I used the same base to create both, so you can just copy and paste one into the other to have both when needed.) I don't know if they'll be useful for you or not, but I'm attaching them in case they would be. Note, for the sizing I use the Scene mode to render the graphics and use a specific graphic size which is important as I believe the preview pic is relative to the size. For that reason, I also included a screenshot of the render settings popup screen you see when rendering images from the Scene mode. Those settings need to be followed exactly (except the background color, of course) to ensure your object is relatively the correct size.

Anim8or_FullTileStarters.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Anim8or_FullTileStarters.zip
 Filesize:  48.69 KB
 Downloaded:  565 Time(s)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!
The more info and tips and help the better! smile
Poetica

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I hope it's useful. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information, Poetica, but this is still very hard. I'm not good at anything that has to do with graphics and the like, and should probably just give up trying to make 2D sprites out of 3D models and accept the fact I'm awful at this sort of stuff.

The Sims 1 forever!

Pyro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, don't feel too bad. I don't think anybody takes to it right away. 3D programs usually have a learning curve all on their own, and trying to get 2D sprites out of them that will work in The Sims often seems pretty hairy at first. jfade's psycho

I'm not sure what Anim8or is like, but perhaps there are video tutorials for it online. That really helped me when I first got started using Blender.

If that doesn't help... my personal motto is, if at first you don't succeed, then try, try again--with a different program. Some modeling programs have very different layouts, and you may just find that another program is more up your alley.
Poetica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecomputerwhiz1 wrote:
Thank you for the information, Poetica, but this is still very hard. I'm not good at anything that has to do with graphics and the like, and should probably just give up trying to make 2D sprites out of 3D models and accept the fact I'm awful at this sort of stuff.

Honestly, Pyro is right. It's hard and there's a learning curve, but it's just a matter of tinkering with it until you get it. I felt exactly the same way. I kept opening the program, trying to figure it out, getting confused and then closing it and leaving it for a few months. Finally I just plunged in and figured it out (and continue to learn things even now...) because I really wanted to be able to use models. And now making the 3d models is my favorite part of creating new objects.

You also might want to try printing off the Anim8or manual. It's still sitting within arm's reach on my desk. I found it especially useful with learning how to use textures.

Also, the Anim8or website offers some tutorials that will help you get used to the program's features. Maybe try going through a few of those. (I did the eggplant tutorial when I was first figuring out the program.)
http://www.anim8or.com/tutorials/index.html

Looking through my reference links I also found I had a link for a site devoted to how to use Anim8or to make objects for the Sims. Hopefully you'll find that helpful.
http://mmbenito.com.sapo.pt/

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree mightily with Pyro and Poetica. It took me many tries over more than a year to achieve anything at all in Milkshape.

Of all the things I've tried to learn over many, many years, 3D modeling required the most trial and error, trial and error, trial and error. Then suddenly something would click inside my brain, and the impossible became doable, and eventually automatic. I think it's like learning to fly a helicopter. You have to let your brain learn to operate in a different space.

Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if they'll be useful for you or not, but I'm attaching them in case they would be.

WoW! Thank you!

thecomputerwhiz1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, but what's the point of the camera object in Scene mode?

The Sims 1 forever!

thecomputerwhiz1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of just jumping in with cars as my first isometric-rendered models, I've decided to model a simple end table first and render that as practice for cars.

The Sims 1 forever!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: