Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about a Sims 1 Total Conversion Mod...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladedDovesBrimstone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Questions about a Sims 1 Total Conversion Mod...? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to this board and got inspired to come here after finding my old Sims 1 Complete collection disks. I was really making this post because I am curious about how far modders/hackers can really take the game. With all the tools and such I've heard about and seen I'm interested about how feasable a total conversion mod would be. The sims 1 is a very old game, and I would think the older the game is and the more new applications and technologies and such that come out the more a TC mod would be possible.
I'm talking about things like gameplay tweaks, new GUI graphics, camera movement and position tweaks, adding more careers, skills and moods for your sim to gain and develop. More options and random events to take place to spice up a typical sim day. I really am not a tech kind of person, I would like to work on a sound mod for The Sims 1 thats where my talents are, but for those who know what they're talking about and are talented with the programming/techie side of things I was just curious if a TC mod for the sims 1 with the things I mentioned above would be at all possible or even worth trying. I just find it interesting about how far it could be taken. Thankyou.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gameplay tweaks: depending on exactly what you're looking for, this could be already done, although large-scale things still aren't perfect.

New GUI graphics: Replacement graphics are possible, but not really efficient to distribute. Basically you can skin the GUI if you're patient. Adding whole new graphics is theoretically possible, but making the game do anything with them is another story.

Camera movement and position tweaks: Not really possible. Unless you want it to pan differently. The game is actually creative mixing of 2-D and 3-D and any unprogramed angles wouldn't work well at all.

Adding more careers: I believe this is as simple as modding some globals.

Skills: I think someone made some new skills at some point, though they're "hidden" skills that use an invisible inventory token. Still, they do exist.

Moods for your sim to gain and develop: Maxis sort of experimented with this already in the game, but it's use it very limited and it turns out to more annoying than fun or interesting.

More options and random events to take place to spice up a typical sim day: A lot of players do like the more stable gameplay, but sometimes I do wish something would just happen! laugh There are various mods that try to incite specific random events, but they're not quite as what you're thinking of, I think.

I experimented with the idea of making a whole new expansion, and then abandoned the idea once I realized that no one ever made development tools strong enough, and otherwise we'd be HEX editing it all and that is a PITA.

BladedDovesBrimstone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for being so in-depth with your answers Damon. Appreciate it thumbsup Good to know that quite a lot can be done Also the random events I was talking about I meant could be as little as say, something similar to a burglar event or less, didn't have to something as complex as what you may have thought i meant. I love The Sims lol, just nice to know there are things that can be done to give it a little more boost of fun and replayability with new content.
purplewowies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BladedDovesBrimstone wrote:
Hey, thanks for being so in-depth with your answers Damon. Appreciate it thumbsup Good to know that quite a lot can be done Also the random events I was talking about I meant could be as little as say, something similar to a burglar event or less, didn't have to something as complex as what you may have thought i meant. I love The Sims lol, just nice to know there are things that can be done to give it a little more boost of fun and replayability with new content.

If you edit the mailbox to allow some of its hidden options to show, it's quite easy to summon the burglar. There are also downloads that can do it (Inge's teleplants at Simlogical for one).
BladedDovesBrimstone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool purple, thanks. I was just using the burglar thing as an example of what new random events could be similar to not the actual burglar event itself. It's all very interesting though.
purplewowies

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Career Creator lets you add wildcards to jobs (take away or add money, take away or add skills, et cetera). I don't know exactly how it works since I was just getting around to playing with that for my new career (one containing the NPCs' careers like paper delivery, pizza dude, maid, social worker, et cetera) when my old computer got stolen... then my Windows 7 partition on my new computer murdered my XP partition (and I was planning on 7 only having a vanilla Deluxe-only game, so I don't want to add expansions or custom content to it).

Just another example (and more in the vein of "random event" as opposed to "purposely excute").
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Career Creators allows you to modify an existing career, to such an extent that you can change it into a completely different career.

Adding a new career while retaining all of the existing ones is more complicated. Peter was able to do it successfully making his own tools but I was not able to get it 100% done on the PC. It functioned but some details were incomplete.

http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?p=8930#8930
http://workshop.woobsha.com/TheDrawingBoard/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: